Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't wait, I tapped the pump (used reman 190hp vp44 from a bus). It runs great! 56psi+, pulls hard. Burned up a Ford Lightning yesterday like it was my job! :hehe:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Was this a bolt on thing or custom work involved? How does it differ from a stock vp44?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Good work!
What kinda exhaust temps do you see Full Chat WOT unloaded?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was this a bolt on thing or custom work involved? How does it differ from a stock vp44?
Its the same thing as an SO pump. No custom fabbing required. I'm just surprised it works at all because when I googled the number on the cover, it came up as a pump for mid-range industrial equipment and other non-dodge applications. I really had my doubts, but its working well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good work!
What kinda exhaust temps do you see Full Chat WOT unloaded?
My egts are high, as long as my probe is reading properly. Highway cruising 900*-1100* and ripping hard they slowly get up to 1300* if I'm just holding the pedal down in sixth gear doin 100+. When I had a stock turbo, my cruising egts were like 800* but when I would lay into it, I'd peg my pyro, like 1900*+. That was bad.

Reactions: Clunk

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Coool, 1300* ain't bad at all.
That big turbo spool up pretty good?
What's a "spool-aid"?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does it compare to your old pump, you had a hrvp correct?
It doesn't haze at idle anymore. Otherwise it's exactly the same. Makes exactly the same amount of boost as it used to. Hopefully it will last longer than 10k miles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coool, 1300* ain't bad at all.
That big turbo spool up pretty good?
What's a "spool-aid"?
It's definitely a little laggy. But once it hits, it goes! She's beast on the highway, traffic passing machine. And he's right on about the spool aid, tho its called "spool-aid", its real purpose is to get some air to that choked off #6 cylinder. And the #1 also if ya got it. I only have one 1 1/2" line going from the up pipe to the #6. Its tough to do it to the #1 with a VP truck. Cp3 trucks have more room to run one to the #1.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Very interesting article. I did a little poking around to see if I could dig up some more information about the heavy duty mid-range pump (aka: LO VP44). I tell ya, trying to find specific details about the LO pump is difficult to say the least.

That said, I did read where the pump is used in all 190-275 HP 5.9 Cummins engines in the Freightliner FL series chassis. Given a maximum stock rating of 275 HP, it could be speculated that the pump may have similar internals to an S/HO pump? It would perhaps make sense given the typical Freightliner chassis applications (tow truck and motorhome). Fueling down low like and HO pump, with support for fueling up to like an SO pump? Don't know if there is a bit of fact to that, but it sounds good...

Thanks again for sharing your findings! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts