Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying I have driven tens of thousands of miles in DRW trucks for a previous job, so driving them is not a big deal but I never had to live with one on a daily basis, so the practicality of owning one as a daily driver is my question. I'm going truck shopping tomorrow and can't decide if the much larger capability of the 3500 DRW is worth the hassle of owning one compared to a 2500. Sadly, no one in my area has a 3500 SRW in any trim level I'd actually consider buying. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I did for a while, 1999 F350 CC, LB, DRW, 4x4, 7.3PSD. Commuting back and forth from MD shore up to north NJ was no big deal. Parking it in the city was a royal PITA.

When I recently purchased my new CTD, I thought long and hard about it -- for me, it ended up being the SRW in that my expected travel with the new company has me in some urban areas in the Philly area that I just didn't want the hassle. But trust me, I reeeeaaally wanted a DRW :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Go for the dually! I've daily driven my QCLB drw for two and a half years and have never had any issues as far as practicality goes. Having two more tires to wear out is about the only additional maintenance cost I can think of but I like knowing that if needed I technically have three spares...

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Bought my first dually in September 1989, had 11 more since. Always better to have too much truck then not enough.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I have 28k miles on mine as my daily driver. Don't picture myself in anything but a CC LB DRW from now until I'm in the ground. Looooooove it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought my first dually in September 1989, had 11 more since. Always better to have too much truck then not enough.
Yeah, I'm at the not enough truck right now, hope to change that tomorrow. The price difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is only $1600, so its not the money, its capability vs practicality and the ability to park it in my garage. the 3500 won't fit.... but is would so go with my TT

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
When I built my new shop I made sure the doors were 10 foot wide by 8 foot high so I could fit a dually.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I built my new shop I made sure the doors were 10 foot wide by 8 foot high so I could fit a dually.

Love your toys... Sweet!!!:drool2:
When/if I ever get to build a shop I'll be sure to make it big enough to put a dually in.

A mega dually will JUST fit in my garage... 6" to spare front to back...

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Love your toys... Sweet!!!:drool2:
When/if I ever get to build a shop I'll be sure to make it big enough to put a dually in.

A mega dually will JUST fit in my garage... 6" to spare front to back...
I can't even put my trailer in the shop anymore. I used to have 3 inches in front and 2 inches behind my 2003, 2005 and 2008. My 2010 and 2013 are longer so now I take my trailer to my other storage barn for the winter

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Been driving dually's since 05'...been my daily driver since then. I tow a heavy enough 5er to merit the dually and 99% of that towing is in the mountains and the dually also gives me the stability I need on mountainous, curvy roads. IF one doesn't need a dually to tow with, then I'd go with a 2500 or 3500 SRW truck, as long as it could handle what I will be towing...even if I only towed a few times a year. I tend to err on the side of safety when it comes to what truck I'm using to tow with.

Bottom line, if you don't need a dually to tow heavy with, go with a 2500 or 3500 SRW truck.

My carport is enclosed down the back and on both sides, (no front door), and my truck sticks out about 2' when I'm pulled into it...doesn't bother me because I need the truck to tow with and the dually is my "tool of choice":)

·
Banned
50 Posts
I like the idea of always having enough truck, but a SRW was capable for what I tow. The deciding factor was my wife who said no dually.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had to make the same choice. I drove both and could not commit to the dually. They are nice, but too big for most of what I do. I went 3500 SRW.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I have driven tens of thousands of miles in DRW trucks for a previous job, so driving them is not a big deal but I never had to live with one on a daily basis, so the practicality of owning one as a daily driver is my question. I'm going truck shopping tomorrow and can't decide if the much larger capability of the 3500 DRW is worth the hassle of owning one compared to a 2500. Sadly, no one in my area has a 3500 SRW in any trim level I'd actually consider buying. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!
I've been driving a dually on a daily basis since 2003; they are a pain to park in some places but I always park on the outer part of the parking lot to solve that problem. I would probably park on the outer lot even if it wasn't a dually to keep the truck from getting banged up. I drove 10 and 18 wheelers for many years so I was already use to driving something big anyways. Like anything else, you get use to it.

I always thought the SRW crew cab looked like a long bus without the extra set of wheels sticking out in the back. The dually just looks more proportional to me as long as it has a 8 foot bed on it instead of the 6.4 foot bed, plus the longer wheel base gives a better ride.

And if the above don't work for some reason I have a 2 door Jeep Rubicon for the really tight places.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If it's a daily driver, make sure you can get ur 8' wide truck parked in ONE 10' wide space.

So many around here think you get 2-3 parking spaces if your truck is narrower than the space (or just can't park).

Lol. Jk. Personally depending on where u live and the roads, I would think it would beat u up. If you NEED the capability of the dually and a single cab won't do it, what choice is there?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
270 Posts
If it's a daily driver, make sure you can get ur 8' wide truck parked in ONE 10' wide space.

So many around here think you get 2-3 parking spaces if your truck is narrower than the space (or just can't park).

Lol. Jk. Personally depending on where u live and the roads, I would think it would beat u up. If you NEED the capability of the dually and a single cab won't do it, what choice is there?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I usually take up two parking spaces for my crew cab 8 foot bed dually on the outer part of the parking lot if the access road between the rows of parking spaces is narrow. The truck needs the width of two spaces to pull out into the access road to avoid hitting cars parked beside me. If I only used one space I couldn't get out of a narrow space. Long vehicles don't have the short turning radius that shorter vehicles have, which is the reason I drive my two door Jeep if I know in advance I'm going to go to places that have narrow parking spaces.

But on the weekend with the wife I sometimes never know where I'm going to end up, so I take up two spaces if I need to on the outer lot guaranteeing me a way to get out of the space

·
Goat on the Grille
1,679 Posts
I've owned three drw trucks and used two of them for DD's. Granted now both of the one's I DD'd were 6spds and city driving so I was hating life during that time lol. For what I tow a dually is too much truck and not worth the aggravation of driving and parking it. Plus at times my wife has to drive my truck and I'd prefer something smaller for her so it doesn't get banged up.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Plus it looks like your shop has a sliding side door too...:thumbsup:
The sliding door was to get my tow truck in when I had it and to get the trailer in in the winter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts