Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM about to buy a first gen its a 1991 2wd automatic.

ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON THINGS TO LOOK FOR ON THE 1ST GENS B4 BUYING. I KNOW THE COMMON THINGS TO CHECK FOR. BUT IM UNFAMILAR WITH IST GENS AND I DIDNT KNOW IF THEY HAVE THEY'RE OWN BATCH OF GREMLINS LIKE THE 2ND GENS DO.

WHAT ARE SOME OF PROBLEMS I SHOULD EXPECT TO HAPPEN TO ME IF I BUY THIS.

ANY INFO WILL TRULY BE APPRECIATED.
LATER ON MY FELLOW DIESEL PUMPERS, KEEP PUSHIN!!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
front end. sometimes have a death wobble up front which is a huge pain to fix. check for leaks. tranny problems. make sure electrical stuff works. like everything. windshield wipers, lights. umm theres more but thats just some ideas

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Check the driver side of the frame just in front of the steering gear box. There is a hole cut into the side of the frame and two rivets on the bottom that hold the crossmember. Be sure there's not a crack running from the hole on the side through one of the rivet holes on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
good one tx. dont just check major things. check those minor things that you may need and they may be bad when you need them. . . . like winshield wipers. trust me lol

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
good one tx. dont just check major things. check those minor things that you may need and they may be bad when you need them. . . . like winshield wipers. trust me lol
Yeah I didn't check close enough when I was looking at the truck and now I have to fix it :buttkick:

This is what I was talking about...

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Yeah I didn't check close enough when I was looking at the truck and now I have to fix it :buttkick:=QUOTE]

same here. im gettin tired of them too. mine keep breakin off. im bout to weld a friggin washer on the peg so the arms wont come off:hehe:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ill second the part about all the electrical stuff. Make sure the harness itself isnt cut into and rigged back together. Mine has had a little "work" done to the harness but nothin unfixable. Rust on the top of the cab and if it has cab lights make sure they arent rusted around it real bad. ummm im sure theres more just cant thank of alot. hope that helps some

·
Registered
501 Posts
hey-Hey!!!,
Also look the bed floor over for broken spot welds. The rust over the windshield is not something I'd want to fix, and it seems they'll either rust or they won't( so if it is good now it should remain good ). For an auto, check the e-brakes. Now on this one I'd ask the seller if it is OK first...heh-heh-heh.
cheers,
Douglas

·
Registered
41 Posts
here are the problems I have had on mine in 115500 miles:

A/C ,issuses had to replace pump several times. I converted it to R134 and that worked and was much cheaper than dealing with R12.

power steering pump was foaming all of the fluid out so I had to replace the steering box.

Wiring to back of truck. The wires are routed over the top of the frame as they come down from the firewall and go back. Dodge protected the wires with wire loom from the back all the way up to this point. At this point they just taped them and the tape and insulation wore through causing a intermittent short. Took me forever to find.

Exhaust system started falling of at 115000 miles. I replaced it with a 4" system from Stan's Headers.

Front brake calipers started sticking after getting heated up in stop an go traffic. Calipers were cheap though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts