Cummins Diesel Forum banner

little bit of help for the new guy

823 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MCummings 
#1 ·
hello everybody I'm new to this forum and I was just wondering if everybody elses diesel is evaporating like my. I own a 98 dodge 12v cummins and its killing me at the pump. I'm only getting like 12 to 13 miles to the gallon. I dont know is it the new diesel the we are buying or what. I will appreciate any feedback, thank you

#2 ·
:welcome: Need to know a little more about the truck. 2500/3500, auto/manual, how do you drive it, what loads do you carry. How many miles on it. Any mods. You should be able to get in the 18 to 20 mile per gallon with that truck, modded right and driven right. What kind of terrain is most of your driving done in (hilly, flat, combination) :CRY:

#3 ·
gotta know more about it...even if its an auto you should be gettin better than that. And yes, the new diesel fuel is crap. Use some RBP supplement, it claims 10% increase in mileage.

#4 ·
hey guys thanks for replying sorry it took a little bit i walk outside. My truck is a work truck, a welding rig, I've always carried a lot of weight. I've always gotten around 18 or 19 to the mile util last year i noticed a drop. It has 160,000 plus miles and its a five speed standard. It's also only a two wheel drive. I had it checked out last november by a local shop and had the injection pump, pickup pump and injectors redone. $2600 later and its still the same. Just the other day i cut the catalitic converter off to see if there was a change and nothing. Have you heard of anything like that.

#5 ·
Is your P-pump all set to factory? Timing, fuel plate, etc.?

Are you running a stock filter and air box? Clean filter?

#6 ·
you should drop the change on a 4" turbo back exhaust. You can usually get a few MPG's there. And like i said...diesel Sup. Check your air filter...or get a bigger one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.