Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 1999 powerchoke. All he has done to it is a mbrp 4" exhaust, and a cold air intake. Other that that his truck is all stock with 180,000 mi.

My truck is in my sig, the only thing not listed in my sig is im runnin 35" tires and 373 gears.

We both work at the same place and he was at my house friday morning for coffe before work. We left the the house at the same time and he caught me at a redlight.
He decides to challenge the cummins. So im like OK dude. The light turns green and I get about a 2 foot jump on him but thats it. He stayed right with me, almost passed me, but I never could pull away from him. All the way to the next light about 5 blocks up.

This really pisses me off. I had my Edge on 5x5 and Ive got alot more mods than he does. My truck has 70,000 miles and runs strong. Whats up with that crap??!!?:thud:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think hes hiding something from you. Or its chipped and he dont know it

·
Registered
316 Posts
the driver???????? Did you boost launch?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I say he sandbagged you. Definately has something he's not telling you. Unless your tranny is not putting your power to the ground you should leave him in the smoke.

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea its the stock auto, and no I didnt boost launch.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
you probabley want to do some improvements on that tranny before you go hammering down in 5x5..your t/c and clutches must've been slipping like crazy and getting hotter than hell at that setting. I still have a stocker in mine as well and drive around very light throttle in 5x5 as a daily driver ( i've found I get better fuel mileage for some reason on 5x5), however if I'm gonna floor it I go down to either 1x5 or 2x5 at the most..anything above that and my trans starts to slip bad. But I would say in order to get the true benifit of your mods you would want to do some tranny upgrades on that

·
Registered
283 Posts
Somebodies not telling you something!!!:lol3:

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think he might be hiding something. because we have ran each other off that light before and Ive taken him pretty good, But this time I looked over at him and he had this really crappy poop eating grin on his face like "bet you never saw this coming". But....who knows.

I do think that my stock tranny is not putting my power to ground very well. I run around in 5x5 and drive it hard too so.........whatever.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If he is in a 7.3 then that is about par for the course believe it or not. The next thing to look at is your own set up. I rarely if ever get beat, and usually the ones that are the easiest to beat are the twin turbo, stacked box trucks! I have a truck that I run level 5 when towing, I have a DTT tranny, but not a whole lot else, I maufactured my air intake from AFE and Icebox using the best of both to make one that really works, I run 12ish in the 1/4 miles, have over 325K miles on my 4X4 dually and weigh in at a slim 8,950 pounds.

Stock truck almost all the way through, and the few things I have changed, well.... I will keep those to myself for obvious reasons, but I change the oil every 25K, just changed the front differential fluid for the first time two days ago at 326,045 miles I promise, most of the mods these dealers are selling are not worth the box they are shipped in. Ask NGM, he can tell you too. :D

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stock truck almost all the way through, and the few things I have changed, well.... I will keep those to myself for obvious reasons
Aww....C'mon man, share the wealth.........

·
Registered
285 Posts
i had a 01 7.3 single cab dually 2wd w edge attitude and a k&n intake and a straight pipe 3.73 gears 6spd and my brother had a 05 dodge dually 4x4 6spd with a 4:10 rear end and tri dog on it and i would take him off the line and then he would get out in front of me but not really walk off on me. the 7.3 powerstroke is a good motor the problem i had with mine was i hauled alot and always when done pulling i would let my truck egts cool down before killing it and most of the time it ran all day long. but the seals in the turbo started leaking oil and it would smoke really bad when you first started it then it would go away. i only had about 120000 when this started.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
ya with the few mods I have.. I have yet to be smoked by a ford diesel.. and they always pull up to me.. and if I catch them where I can launch in 4wd its even worse for them.. I sure want a tranny though

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've never been beaten by a ford either :w:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts