Cummins Diesel Forum banner

List of MPG improvements

28K views 55 replies 35 participants last post by  Fountain Puller 
#1 ·
Ok, I've had my new truck for about 1 week and the mileage SUCKS.:CRY:

I am getting between 10-12 mpg mixed driving. My 2002 I traded in got 16 on the same exact routes.

So I have been looking at the things I can do to help mileage. Here is a list with pricing.

DPF delete - 3-4 mpg, $842
EGR delete - 1 mpg?, free?
Water injection - 1-3 mpg, $949
MP8 - 1-2 mpg, $385
Edge attitude - 1-2 mpg, $639
Goerend torque converter 3-4 mpg, $1000?

Any other thing I missed. Or if you have a different opinion of the improvement I stated or the cost, let me know.

These all seem like reasonable things to do, and should pay for themselves in less than 6 months.

If I do all the above what kind of mileage can I expect? I know you can't add up the savings or I would have to pull over every day and drain my tank.:lol3:

I really love my new truck compared to the 2002 I had but I feel terrible having a inefficient fuel hog. I know this engine can be made way more economical than it is stock.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah my MPG improved after the programmer, cold air and exhaust. As long as I can keep my foot out of it. Your mileage will improve somewhat after you get a few miles on the ole' girl. You just cant jump right into you gotta warm it up a little.

#4 ·
I would get a 5 inch straight pipe setup for late model 5.9 (they are on ebay for 270 bucks!). Buy the DPF fooler kit from H&S or BAPD and add an Edge Juice w/a. You can do the dgr delete afater the dpf is off. Then I would change the intake system to one that flows better. Lots of our members have reported an increase in fuel economy with an MP-8 device. If you add these mods and keep your foot out of it I would say that is about the best you are going to get till some more devices are devleoped. Good luck with your new truck!

#5 ·
Put all of that on and you got 16 mpg improvement. I wished it worked that way. You may see 3-4 mpg improvement with any or all of what you listed.

Randy

#14 ·
I have the Dynatrac on my 07' 5.9 L and it gets me about 3 mpg better. I got 6" lift w/37" Toyo's. I thought about putting that on my 07' 6.7L but the cost is about $2,200. I would first but that $2,200 into exhaust, chip, filter, DPF delete, etc then go with that. Another thing is you can just disconnect the front drive shaft and that is pretty much the same thing as the Dynatrac kit.

#8 ·
Id probably do the intake, exhaust and most importantly a chip. I gain 4mpg running my chip from off to level 5(and a ton of smoke too :))

#9 ·
Yeah you should look into hubs and also look into Gear Vendor they make a double overdrive.

#10 ·
If you just do the exhaust and egde you will get 4-8 mpg with that set up.:thumbsup

#15 ·
I got 130,000 miles on my 6.7L and I haven't seen ANY MPG improvement since the day I bought it. I get 14.5 highway @ 70mpg and 9.5-11 mpg when I'm towing. I haul everyday around the country and it's all freeway and the MPG are still the same. I did filter & exhaust and still the same. From past experience with my 07' 5.9 L the chip is the best deal for MPG and then the DPF delete since it makes the mpg worse.

#13 ·
I'm at 17-18.3mpg with my mods at 20,000 miles. Thats what the overhead reads and by hand calulation its right around 17mph. Thats all highway driving for at 75mph with AC on. I too am hoping once my BADP dpf delete kits arrives I will see a few more mpg, especially when towing. I only get 10-11mpg while towing...:(

#16 ·
Keep your foot out of it and drive like a granny. I've started going 100 km/hr and my overhead posts and average of 18.5 mpg on the highway. Plus now I can enjoy the scenery! :popcorn:

Also let her break in like others have said. I didn't start posting better mpg until around 10K. I'm at 12.5 now and stock. Going to keep it that way for a couple more K. Most of all enjoy the new truck!:woot:

#17 ·
I also have not noticed a single bit of increase since break in. I am at 44K and still get 15.6 MPG on most tanks. My overhead would stay around 17 most of the time. I just had a new turbo and exhaust(factory) put in yesterday and since then the overhead reads around 18-19 mpg. We will see after I fill up again. I put on about 130 miles a day and most of it is going 80 mph. I am waiting for the 5" TBE to get here but i have the egr delete and edge waiting. I will put the edge on here in a few days after im sure the new DPF and turbo are good and then I will see the real gains. CANT WAIT

#18 ·
With all those mods the most you will see is 18-19 MPG. I get 17 Hand Calculated City driving as mine sits. Some do a little better but i wouldnt expect them to keep multiplying the fuel savings. At some point its about maxed out.

#19 ·
I'll take 17 miles a gallon in the city, right now my over head says 15.1 and Its been a little less of a mpg off per fill up. I have a Fass 150 and mp-8 and egr plates sleeping in my truck waiting to be put on I'll post results after the weekend

#23 ·
Yes indeed. I'm moving towards the dpf delete and hoping that Smarty will come on pretty soon. I've got pillar gauges but keep noting that, like you, many have gone to Edge/Attitude so I keep wondering if I should wait. Don't really understand the delay. Seems to me that they could cover any Dodge software changes with an update to Smarty but it must be more complicated than that. I'm an old guy who tows and just want better mpg. If that comes with a bit more power, that's OK too.

Bob

#24 ·
Good ideas for the AFE intake and the Dynatrac hubs.

I like the idea of the Dynatrac, it seems like a logical step. The issue I have is price, $1895.

For that price I can get the DPF delete, EGR delete, MP8 and Edge. I figure those mods will get me 5+ mpg improvement.

I doubt after all that the Dynatracs can add another 3 mpg. If anyone has done this please let us know.

As you probably have guessed I am trying to decide what mods are the best mpg bang for the buck.

The DPF delete and EGR delete are must haves. They are both unbelievably stupid ideas and will ruin the engine over time, so they must go.

The other mods are tougher decisions. Hard to separate myth from hard data. It seems the improvements people claim are all over the map.

#27 ·
I have the Dynatrac on my 07' 5.9L but haven't done it to the 6.7L. On the 5.9L it has given me about 2-3 mpg better. It won't give you the same mpg as the 2wd but it will help. Cheaper then that is just disconnect the front driveshaft if you don't have plans to use it.

#25 ·
With my Superchips on extreme and the MP-8 turned down until someone wants to play I get 17.5 - 18mpg hand cal. The over head will read anywhere from 18 - 20. Last month I drove from south Tx to Lafayette and back. I ran 85mph the whole way got 520 miles on a tank and got 16.5mpg hand cal.

Oh I have 22K on her!

#26 ·
id say with the stuff you listed youd get a 3-4 increase. get some miles on it and let it break in if its brand new, a guy i know bought one and it got 14 on a trip to PA from IL right after he got it, then he put some miles on it and it got about 16 on the same trip but, how you drives makes a differnece too.

#28 ·
Now don't laugh until you try.....but the best thing you can do for highway mileage is to get a topper. You will see unreal gains.

#29 ·
I was wondering about a tonneau cover instead of a topper for the times the bed is empty or filled below the sides. Think it would be close to the same effect? One of the diesel mags made a comment about good effectiveness a few months ago, looking for input from someone who does not make a living from advertisers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.