Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I'm relatively new to the forum, and introduced my project just a few weeks ago. Thanks to all who replied to my original post. To recap: I'm basically putting an '02 stock Dodge 2500 complete chasis under '59 Dodge Truck (D100) sheetmetal: cab, front fenders and step side bed. Desired outcome is that'll look like a '59 Dodge Truck, but will be '02 underneath with stock Cummins 5.9, auto trans, 4wheel drive, etc. Not looking to increase power or other performance over stock, just looking to maintain performance the stock set-up provides.

I'm about a third into the project and have discovered that The '59 engine bay is 4-5" shorter than the '02, so I'm out of room for the stock intercooler.

I've considered several options (stretching fenders, mounting stock I/C in the bed with fans--or air piping to I/C, electric radiator fan vs stock mechanical fan (togain more room for stock intercooler- still not enough room), water to air intercooler to replace air-to-air intercooler). I've decided on the last option, water-to-air intercooler, so I'm not looking to discuss options (unless someone knows of substantial mechanical, or airflow disadvantages that'll significantly reduce power or endanger mechanicals resulting from switching from stock I/C to liquid-air cooler), and I'm hoping to NOT add to the strong feelings surrounding non-intercooled vs intercooled as witnessed in another forum.

Just looking for information to educate myself so that I can make an appropriate water-to-air intercooler selection. Already called and emailed Bell Intercoolers, but they've been slow to respond, maybe my general lack of knowledge surrounding I/Cooler tech has been an impediment in getting them to make a recommendation to me.

My basic questions are these: What factors do I need to look at to select an appropriate water-to-air intercooler (to maintain stock performance), and based on those factors, does anyone on the forum have a recommendation as to water-to-air I/C size, inflow, outflow, etc.? Thanks, appreciate the help in advance. -keith

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Intercooler and Turbo Specs and Information

Ok....any ideas about where to look for information about Holset HY35W turbo output, specs, etc. I think I need to find info about CFM flow, charge inlet temps, etc. I did find max boost figure (20-21psi), and I know stock hp rating for my '02. I'm understanding that all these factors influence what liquid/air intercooler I need, but having a little trouble putting it all together to make a selection. Any help will be appreciated.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
Go to holset's main website click on the products tab. That will give you some reading. All the data they list for air flow is in kg/s. So there is some conversion work to do. They do not list that HY turbo you have. Use the spec's for a HX35. That is the upgrade for the HY turbo. The HY flows about the same air as the H1C my 1st gen came with. But they didn't have the H1 series listed eather.

Holset Turbochargers

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
I think that is a little high. The last time I saw a conversion done on a HX35 it came in less than that. I seem to remember it was around 600 CFM or so. The number you came up with is around a HX40 flow number.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi- I received a response back from Bell Intercoolers regarding my space problem, and you're right, they say around 640CFM for the HY turbo. They are also recommending an air-to-air intercooler, dimensions 1.25'x34'x8.5". I'm not sure that'll get around my space delima, but Bell is leaning toward air-to-air due to reduced complexity vs. water-to-air. I'll have to re-measure and see if this smaller intercooler will fit.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
That IC size is close to a first gen IC. Ours is 31 wide with a 27.5" center on the in and out. Its 1.5" thick and 13" tall. The in and out is 2.5" outside dia.

So while you got the yard stick out see if that would fit. You can find them at a reasonable price used.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do you have room for a top mount intercooler? Kinda like a Subaru setup?

·
Registered
750 Posts
i agree put a hood scoop in and use an inertcooler on top if you can

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a look at the Subaru top mount set up,and that's an interesting possibility, I think I might have enough room, 'the 59 hood is domed vs. the flater '02 hood. Might work. Also took a look at the Liquid to Air cooler listed on ebay. Looks a lot like the Spearco 2-230 L/A cooler I've been considering, but a lot less pricey. More options to consider, not in a position to remeasure and rethink options right now, will have to wait until the weekend, but thanks for the input, I'll keep ya'll updated and also try to figure out how to post some pics of the project.

G

·
Lookin good! They always seem to look worse to the builder than to the viewers. That is my opinion any way. LOL That company selling those water to airs on ebay also have a few other types you might check out as well.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
i know this is a whole can of worms here but what about mounting the engine back farther by notching the firewall? a good i/c would be a big plus for mpg and performance. awesome project when you git-r-done youll have one sweet ride:thumbsup

G

·
On my corvette I cut out the original floor and firewall to get my cummins in it. I then installed aluminum floors and an aluminum firewall. I think it would be easier for you than it was for me since the aftermarket availability of steel replacement rod parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi- Thanks for the excellent comments. I've already cut the firewall , and here's a shot of that:

By setting the cab forward an inch or two, i think I can fit in a 1.25" thick Bell intercooler. Moving the cab forward will "off-center" the front tires in the wheel wells, and put the steering wheel a little closer into the drivers position. I'll have to see how that looks; I might be able to live with that, especially considering that it'd allow me to get a good A/A intercooler in. I need to do a solid mockup to make sure of the measurements, hopefully have time for that this weekend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a shot with the radiator installed, front tires centered in wheel wells. With that cab position, no room for intercooler in stock location, but there is room for top mounted intercooler, see second photo which shows a box that approximates the size (16x16x4-1/2") of the Spearco L/A intercooler I've been considering. Will have to talk with Spearco about A/A top mount as suggested by hipsi and countrycummins99. I think a hood scoop might look pretty good with an A/A top mount cooler.

G

·
Here is an option. Ditch the mechanical fan set up and use electric fans. Move the radiator back and you will gain room for an IC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is an option. Ditch the mechanical fan set up and use electric fans. Move the radiator back and you will gain room for an IC.
Thanks, I'll measure it out. That just might do it. Does anyone have suggestions about or info on sources of low profile electric fans?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts