Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
25,632 Posts
0216 it failed VP44. That is the death code for failed timing piston in the VP. It will get worse until total failure in short order. Got my last one from O'reilly's with lifetime warranty with a filter change and free fuel swab test provided. From Standard motor parts. list was $1550. No shipping and local or overnight usually. You can work some discounts for price match or veterans etc. Just about anybody can get at least 10% off, price match more. Takes 2-4 hours and only special tool is 10 dollar gear pull disc and if available a 3/4 tubing wrench for injector lines.
I am going steelhead fishing for a few days, will be back to help later in the week.

It is a mechanical failure , not an electrical one.

· Registered
2000 3500 cab and chassis
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the help, have fun on the fishing trip. What sucks is this is a brand new vp44 that was bought last year sometime and never used, the truck it was bought for ended up having a MAP sensor failure. The other truck had a completely dead pedal, new map sensor was installed, didn't help, put this brand new vp44 pump on it, didn't help, put the old pump back on it and used all sensors out of known running truck, and it turned out being a faulty new map sensor the whole time. So if this is it, I bought a "brand new" VP44 pump that was a faulty rebuild and its out of warranty now.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
I am senile and lost-did it pass the Hotwire test.?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I am senile and lost-did it pass the Hotwire test.?
From what i can tell, the hotwire test only makes sure that the vp44 is getting power to start and run the truck, is there another reason to do this test? The vp44 works and cranks every time. It revs up fine every time i crank it, but when engine is cold, it will have an extremely slow throttle response after a minute or so, when engine is warm, the throttle response never goes away and it runs and drives fine.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Blue Chip Diesel | Runing Tests ( test #3)

· Registered
25,632 Posts
Where was it purchased? By you? What is fuel pressure? That needs to be know before replacement.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My neighbor purchased it, I was there when it was put on his truck the first time, it was hardly ran at all on there before swapping it back out because it didn’t solve his issue. He started having dead pedal on his Cummins right after buying the truck that I’m building, so the vp44 was originally purchased for this truck is why he swapped back out when it didn’t change anything on his truck. Fuel pressure from lift pump is sitting right at 20psi. I’m going to cut the return spring on the fass a little today and get it down a few lbs.

I’m going to keep tinkering with it and go over all my connections and wiring before buying another VP44. After all, this truck had a p pump engine in it when I bought it from him, so with all the swapping that I had to do, there’s a good chance that I missed something small. I tried my best to research and replace any “know issue” sensors/pump and all before I even put the engine back in the cab. I have the live data tool now with screenshots for all the sensors. I’ll have to research a little to see what the “normal” reading for all of them and compare that to when it throws the code, Atleast I should be able to diagnose what’s not wrong, lol

Thank y’all again for the responses, I’ll do the hot wire test tonight if I have time and keep y’all updated.

· Registered
25,632 Posts
Was lift pump removed for P-pump and not put back on. Did you check fuel pressure yet?

· Registered
25,632 Posts
I think if that is too high for your truck it would cause hard/non start but not sure. Search here for high fuel pressure and VP44 fuel valve or something like that.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think if that is too high for your truck it would cause hard/non start but not sure. Search here for high fuel pressure and VP44 fuel valve or something like that.
I searched on here and a few others, it’s not too high, but from what I can gather, higher than normal fuel pressure causes th vp to return more fuel which adds more heat to the fuel, return spring on the vp is set to “14” so anything higher than 15 or so just gets returned. So I’m going to shoot for around the 17psi mark. I also have big lines running from the lift pump straight to the vp, so I’m showing almost no drop in pressure from idle to WOT. I don’t think this has anything to do with my issue, but might as well make things better while I work on my limp pedal issue.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Sir,- you are the one having problems -all we can do is make some recommendations
These trucks become very hard starting with too much pressure.
10 lbs is purrfect .
For a given size of pipe, more pressure means just that, not more volume.
Do as yu wish

· Registered
25,632 Posts
I do not think it is your problem but It can be . At 20 lb+ or more on some VP's (kind of random) there is a valve in the VP that can shut down. Not really your symptoms I believe. No ore significant increas in heat any where. The the return system is meant to cool the VP purposely. Even at below 14lb there is an amout of return fuel from the VP and injectors in the head.

Reactions: afterburn549

· Registered
25,632 Posts
Come on now that is not true. You take any size line and more pressure always increases flow when it is opened up. More pressure creates more flow when open. Try filling a gallon jug from a half inch hose with 40 lb and then where this 80 lb. I guarantee 80 lb will fill faster and shoot farther.
In our trucks 2lb pressure will not supply the VP with enough fuel, 20 would be more than enough. More pressure moves it faster making more volume.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Nope is true i said a size or X =S x P is v
It is also work involved (heat)
A size of pipe will only flow so much B4 it becomes just Pressure.
That is how an oil field engineer explained it to me . (fluid mechanics)
IOW a 3/8 pipe will only flow so much even with more pressure.
Then there is pressure drop, which does not matter here.
Dont kill me, I am just the messenger

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sir,- you are the one having problems -all we can do is make some recommendations
These trucks become very hard starting with too much pressure.
10 lbs is purrfect .
For a given size of pipe, more pressure means just that, not more volume.
Do as yu wish
Thanks again, I'm trying my best to take every bit of advice that has been given. I was the person saying that I was going to lower my fuel pressure, I never argued that at all. Yes I do have the problem, and I'm glad there are people to help me with possible solutions. If this truck was a running VP44 truck that just started having an issue, I feel as though it would be an easier problem to solve. I will probably replace the VP pump this weekend with one off of a running truck just to see if that's the issue. The worst part is that I have to wait for the truck to be completely cold every time I change something or else it will run fine till the temperature drops.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I do not think it is your problem but It can be . At 20 lb+ or more on some VP's (kind of random) there is a valve in the VP that can shut down. Not really your symptoms I believe. No ore significant increas in heat any where. The the return system is meant to cool the VP purposely. Even at below 14lb there is an amout of return fuel from the VP and injectors in the head.
Something I noticed today, I'm not sure if this will help at all. I let the truck warm up, and cleared out all codes. The P0216 code still popped up after it ran for a minute or so, but the truck still ran fine. It didn't do the "limp pedal" issue. So i tried it again, same thing. It will still throw the 0216 code and run fine unless the engine is cold.

· Registered
1,530 Posts

· Registered
25,632 Posts
The timng piston may be just seizing when cold. Will get worse I bet. 0216 in not wrong that I know of.

Reactions: afterburn549
21 - 40 of 45 Posts