Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Tried post this in the general forums a few times with no help, so Ill try here.

I installed a smoke switch by tapping the two wires on the MAP and running them to a toggle with a 10 ohm resistor inline. The switch worked as planned, lots of smoke.

PROBLEM: When I turn the switch off I get a dead pedal above 2000 rpm with poor performance upto that. The CEL comes on also. The problem does not go away over time. I left it alone for a week, disconnected the batteries, nothing helped.

I cleared the codes at Autozone and they came right back when I started the truck.

I turned the switch back on and cleared the codes and the truck runs normal again, but smokes alot because of the smoke switch.

I thought the map was bad, but my Attitude monitor still reads boost.

Need help please!!!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
This thing basically bypasses the boost sensor to allow maximum fueling at all boost ranges right? If so, couldn't it also send an overboost signal if something is not hooked up right? If so, the computer would DEFINITELY go into limp mode. That's why you need a boost fooler to turn up your waste gate. If you don't use a fooler, the map sensor detects an overboost and derates the engine. I don't know what it is like, never had it happen, but that kind of sounds like it to me.

Have you considered rewiring it back to oe or looking at your toggle to make sure it's wired right? Should be a DPDT switch to hook up oe style on one set of contacts, and through your resistor on the other set. (I'm doing a lot of guessing here in case you can't tell) I would also look for any other related wiring issues connected to your modification.

Here's another thought; The computer "learns" different sensors, and I don't think clearing the codes unlearns them. Perhaps the way it got wired, the computer tried to "learn" the resisting signal, and now has a different point at which it reads overboost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts