Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have read that 2010 power wagon has a Tru-Lok differential in the rear. Which is limited slip untill you want it locked(according to fourwheeler.com). I'm looking at getting a simillar setup for my 2008 2500. I have googled this and my google skills fail. I can't seem to find who makes this differential locker. Anyone have any insite?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
True Lock is by Detroit locker which I beleive is now owned by eaton
Eaton owns Detroit, but they make the Truetrac system not the Tru-Lok. I have done some homework on this, i'm just unable to locate a limited slip/locking differential. The only ones I have been able to find are open/locking differentials. I like the idea of having locking differential for when I need it. I am not a fan however of the one tire fire that the open differential offers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The eaton locker is only available for the aam 10.5" rear end, which is in your power wagon and gas 2500 series trucks. Diesel 2500 and 3500 are equipped with the aam 11.5" rear end. As of right now, Yukon and arb make lockers for aam 11.5". I would reccomend the arb because of the fact it is a open differential with no air going to it. Which is more suited to heavy duty trucks and towing making tight turns......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The eaton locker is only available for the aam 10.5" rear end, which is in your power wagon and gas 2500 series trucks. Diesel 2500 and 3500 are equipped with the aam 11.5" rear end. As of right now, Yukon and arb make lockers for aam 11.5". I would reccomend the arb because of the fact it is a open differential with no air going to it. Which is more suited to heavy duty trucks and towing making tight turns......

I don't want an open diff when the locker is not engaged. I want limited slip when the locker is not engaged. The Eaton lockers I looked at on there website show open/fully locked. If you find one that is different can you post a link for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe its the 11.5. Its an 08 Cummins 2500.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The E-locker is only available for the 10.5" rear end. As for the 11.5" rear end, your options are limited. The Yukon, ARB, And detroit truetrac posi. The Yukon is a full time locker. The ARB is as i stated before, Open diff/locker, and the truetrac posi is, well a posi. Maybe a 1/4 turn and it locks the wheels together. I know this isnt what you wanted to hear, but I have done my home work on this, because I want my truck to be set up like a power wagon too. You can get the E-locker for the front of your truck, If that matters to you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah if you have that link handy. I would like to get a locker for the front aswell.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not much help here(I'm sorry) but I read somewhere recently that the locker mechanism for the 10.5 is supposed fit th 11.5 aswell. Don't know that anyone sells it or if it would be cost effective. Try the AAM website, pretty interesting stuff there. I will thumb thru my recent reading to find where I read about the locker. Probably read it from someone that didn't know what they are talking about but I DID read it somewhere.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Disregard previous post. Just looked on AAM website and there is no part number for the locker in the 11.5 :( only list the 10.5 application with a part number. Gonna have to find where I read the mis-information. FYI, the locker in the front will work, there are all the same 9.25

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
for the front you have three choices

power wagon unit
arb air locker
eaton truetrac

the power wagon unit is a very good choice ,you just need to put some wires and a switch......open until you need it
the only negative effect is you need to lock it before you get stuck.....
once you are stuck ,if only one wheel spin the unit will not engage?????

the truetrac is a very good choice too ,is there when you need it ,no wires ,no switch this unit act like normal 4 wheels drive run!!!!!
after some advices of members who run this unit,it appears that you can run it in winter with no worries ,you just need to be careful on tight turn
(even with open differential,you need to be careful too!!!)
my only concern with this unit is on the highway at 40-50 mph on snowy or icy road ,how this differential will react on that kind of situation?????

about the arb air locker...
I have no info on this unit.......maybe someone here have one!!!!!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Does anyone know if this one will work in the 11.5, or if this is the one that is used in the Power Wagons?

American Axle & Manufacturing (AAM) - TracRite® Axle Differentials
I have used this in a number of my old trucks. It didn't sell well (as a "Torsen" named unit), but is an excellent and tough design. the design was sold and bought by a few different companies.

I have installed them in 11.5 AAM's that were in 2wd Gov't Spec GMC's with open diff.

They are great, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

I do hesitate to drive on ICE, knowing that I have a locker, though.........

-Rhyno

P.S.

I wouldn't waste a single penny on "Flat, organic/Metallic Friction Plate" designs. It is a guaranteed way for you to spend another "$1500 for a rebuild."

If you are so dead-set on an limited slip, go with a diff that has "Cone style friction surfaces." The Yukon style is a POS (Eaton Positraction). The Yukon Link above took me to an Eaton PosiTraction Design and is just a new name on an old poor design. The Flat plates wear, the gripping tension lessens, you kick with only one leg, or as stated above ".....a one tire fire......"

When two cones are put together, they wear, and they are still a cone. Plus they are an Alloy on Alloy fiction area. Look at an Auburn Gear. If you build an axle with an Auburn in it, the axle will out live the body of the truck. The Auburn will still have the same contact area and fiction tension, for a lot longer time. Even with abuse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was told today that the limited slip in the OEM setup is same as Eaton TruTrac.....? They are both helical gear limited slip....??? Is this true?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good information

·
Registered
602 Posts
I changed my rear to a Yukon Locker in the spring.....cant wait till the Snow !!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts