Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck has an open rear diff and now that the rainy season is here, I regret not insisting on the limited slip option.

from the factory the limited slip option was less than $300. What options are out there now as after market or retrofitting an OEM limited slip. Or should I go for a locker?

Also, has anyone put aftermarket manual hubs on their trucks?

Tim
----
2010 Ram 2500 Laramie

·
That Truck Guy
6,375 Posts
Here are some differential options for the rear:
Factory limited slip
Tru Trac
ARB air locker
Yukon Grizzly locker

As far as the front hubs go, nobody makes a free spin conversion for the 2009+ trucks yet but Dynatrac has some in testing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skyd Ram, I appreciate the help.

Since the dodge axle is an 11.5" AAM, isn't the the factory LSD a TracRite?
Is a TracRite a drop in LS, or would the carrier have to be pulled and disassembled?
I don't want to pull and disassemble the carrier if I don't have to, so is there a LS that is a drop in? and what am I looking at for cost?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The factory unit is a joke, so if you want something good, stay away from it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
None are a "drop" in pull axles, pull cover, pull carrier, remove crown gear install on new "POSI" carrier (using a generic term) prob need bearings/diff kit/shim kit as have yet to get a carrier that came with one yet. Assemble all that then properly adjust for back lash and check gear mesh pattern. All thats good? reinstall diff cover and axles fill with gear oil and good to go.............

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that is what I was afraid of...probably looking at $2K for parts/labor. I have the ability to do the work, but not the inclination to lay on my back in the driveway. I should have insisted on the factory limited slip (though not the best, it's better than an open diff)

None are a "drop" in pull axles, pull cover, pull carrier, remove crown gear install on new "POSI" carrier (using a generic term) prob need bearings/diff kit/shim kit as have yet to get a carrier that came with one yet. Assemble all that then properly adjust for back lash and check gear mesh pattern. All thats good? reinstall diff cover and axles fill with gear oil and good to go.............

·
Registered
63 Posts
Flat rate is approx 5-6 hrs to re bearing a diff (give or take) where I work door rate is 94 an hour. You could just do carrier bearings (depending on mileage) prob $50 bucks. Fluids and shop supplies maybe another 50-75 (depending on gasket/silicon and brand of gear oil you prefer). If ya go diff Kit just priced a one ton chev out was around 175 (ballpark). Your choice of carrier ie trutrac locker sure grip etc prob 700-1300 (quick search of Jegs). So by time tax man hits......... Now that also could change with deal hunting and a shop that would let you supply parts. As for a diff on my back in the driveway................ I'm thankful for a cool boss that lets me use the shop after hours on my truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts