Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have access to a cummins a2300, 4 cylinder, 60 hp motor and was wondering if it would be possible to do a conversion in a small 4 door sedan or lightweight pickup? Might even have access to a turbo for it. Are there any vehicles (make/model/years) you'd recommend that would be a better fit for a conversion than others . I realize I will need to have some custom transmission work done as well. Please let me know if this has possibilities or wouldn't be so practicle as I'm also considering, with a few modifications, using it to run a generator... Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
there is one around me, it's a late 70's jeep grand wagoneer with a 4bt manual trans, full exocage and more, awesome job on his part! and the best thing is, it goes everywhere! i'd put it in a grand wagoneer anyday anytime!

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,438 Posts
and there's a new jk with a 5.9l cummins as well.
they used a hacked up megacab frame and put the jk body on
top. awesome

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. Looked at the motor this weekend and turns out the motor was blowing all kinds of white smoke when he fired it up... said it was common. Don't know if he thoguht I was dumb and was hiding something he knew about the condition but I walked away from it. He wanted $600, seemed like a good deal and still may be but I cannot afford to trouble shoot and end up paying alot more to get it where it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
JW where did you get that 4 cly? im gona be in the market for one in a few months for my jeep!!?
Do you want to use the 2.3, the 3.3, or the 3.9, or 4.5. the 3.9 is the most common and easies to get parts for.

Try arsco.com, core4u.com ebay, dovebid.com.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
a van thats goin to be fun. You are probably goin to have to do some work with the dog box, especial if you go with the 5.9. I would go with the 3.9.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
3.9 or the 4.5 would be nice, they are both physically the same size and weight (the 4.5 is just a stroked 3.9)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I'm new to this site and i was reading some of these post, and was woundering if you guys could help me out. I have a 2000 nissan frontier and i will end up doing a diesel swap in the nexted year or so, and was wondering what you guys thought would be the best diesel motor for my little truck.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
:welcome:If I remember right the frontier is a half ton truck. I think that a common rail 3.9 or QSb 4.5 would be a great swap for that size truck. were are you form. I would ckech the emisson laws in your state and see what you can get away with. Some states say that you have to use that year motor or newer. Post a thread and ask away theres a lot of knowledge on this site :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i am from St. Louis Mo. and i wanted to make sure that it was a turbo diesel that i out into my truck. and ya the frontier is a half ton.

I am making the truck into a off road truck that i can still drive on the road. I was also thinking about the Veggie oil conversion for it as well. What do you think about that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts