Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at an '08 2500 6.7 Cummins, and am baffled by a button on the dash located by the engine brake button. It says "Light Load",and if you push it, it will just blink and i don't know what it does. At first I thought it might be for the cargo light, but then found the cargo light over by the headlight switch. Anyone know?
Thanks,
Ron :confused013:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Wow. That's dumb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When its in "heavy load" mode, your TPMS yells at you for having low rear tire pressure. Once you push it to put it into "light load" mode it stops. I find it pretty dumb. I don't have a ram yet but took a 2500 for a test drive that had this button. The sale's man was quite interested to know what it did.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It is a good option to have, now that every vehicle has tire pressure monitors on them. Since 90% of the time the heavy duties are not being used to tow/haul heavy loads, there are 2 options of tire pressures to run. The light load gets used most of the time, it makes for a much more comfortable ride with not loaded.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's to deal with you tire pressure monitoring system. When it's activated, you can lower the air pressure in your rear tires without the warning going off.
Now we know. Thanks. So if I understand correctly, IF we lower our tire pressure to say 45 psi and then we push this button, it does two things 1)stays lite and 2) disables the low tire pressure alarm or does it lower the point at which the tire pressure alarms>

·
Registered
141 Posts
Now we know. Thanks. So if I understand correctly, IF we lower our tire pressure to say 45 psi and then we push this button, it does two things 1)stays lite and 2) disables the low tire pressure alarm or does it lower the point at which the tire pressure alarms>
I would be willing to bet it just lowers the pressure setting to which it activates the alarm

·
Registered
232 Posts
It stays lit and lowers the point at which the tire pressure alarm sounds, it does not disable the alarm. Make sure you look at the tire pressure sticker on door for the correct settings for the lite load setiing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You mean I don't have to ride the lumber wagon to do the grocery hauling. :thumbsup: Now I can sell my gasser. :hehe:

·
Registered
125 Posts
It just lowers the alarm threshold when running lower tire pressures in the rear tires. It's not dumb, it offers you 2 different set points. :confused013::doh:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So you run your tires 5 lbs over for 7-8 months(warmer months) of the year because you're too lazy to adjust them periodically, or what? That doesn't make too much sense. :doh:

It's not even winter here yet, and I just added 3-4 lbs yesterday due to the cooler weather. Will have to do it again probably in December.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just went from 265's to 35's and had the pressures set to 60 all the way around. I got the dash light for the first time and cant get it to go off. Pushing the light load button just makes it blink. The tires are E2's and supposedly dont need as much air press as the smaller ones.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I just went from 265's to 35's and had the pressures set to 60 all the way around. I got the dash light for the first time and cant get it to go off. Pushing the light load button just makes it blink. The tires are E2's and supposedly dont need as much air press as the smaller ones.
Hilblee,
Your light is blinking because you're a little too far off of your light load psi req. which is 60/45 front/rear. The tow load setting is 60/70 front/rear.

What tire did you go with? If it's E rated, you should be able to air the rear down to 45psi, no problem. You also should be able to air your front down to 55psi and still have a firm yet comfortable ride. Hopefully they didn't jack your tpms up.

On my 2005 CTD, I had Toyo MT 35's and I ran 45psi front and about 35 in the rear. They are a stout tire and they weren't bulging and wore evenly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I run mine about 5 lbs over to account for pressure changes when the weather gets cold. The first year was a battle.
How about a "how to" for programming the set points. I read earlier that it would "alarm". Is that an audible alarm, dash light or overhead console notice

·
Registered
232 Posts
How about a "how to" for programming the set points. I read earlier that it would "alarm". Is that an audible alarm, dash light or overhead console notice
You can not change or program you own pressure points. You have 2 settings lite load and heavy load. If the light on the dash is lit up it is in light load set tires to lite load pressures on the door. If the light is off it's in heavy load setting set tires to pressures to heavy load on door. It must be within about 3 lbs of what the sticker is calling for, any more and the alarm will sound chime, message on EVIC, and light flashing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
on my 08 to "engage" light load you turn the key to run position without cranking and press the button it will light and should stay lit until you turn it off, (same way as turning it on)... if your tire pressures are set according to the range listed in the drive door seal then there shouldnt be any light on the dash on atleast there isnt on mines anyways, that is until i put the wheels on and havent done anything for the monitoring system :doh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hilblee,
Your light is blinking because you're a little too far off of your light load psi req. which is 60/45 front/rear. The tow load setting is 60/70 front/rear.

What tire did you go with? If it's E rated, you should be able to air the rear down to 45psi, no problem. You also should be able to air your front down to 55psi and still have a firm yet comfortable ride. Hopefully they didn't jack your tpms up.

On my 2005 CTD, I had Toyo MT 35's and I ran 45psi front and about 35 in the rear. They are a stout tire and they weren't bulging and wore evenly.
Went with Terra Grapplers and they are awesome! Im towing a trailer this weekend for elk camp and need them on the high side for that but the guy that mounted them said that 60 was as high as I should go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.