Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my truck in for some TLC this week: It had an oil leak, a fuel leak, and the transfer case was leaking, plus the transmission needed flushed.

So I stopped by my mechanic's place yesterday to see how he was coming along. He'd started with the fuel leak; turns out my low pressure pump was going out. :eek: I got lucky there. :woot: The injector pump is newer than the truck, so I should be good for a while there.

'Course, he forgot all the other stuff I needed him to do, so it'll still be in there a while longer.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
Actually the lift pumps on the 12 valves aren't as big a problem as with the 24 valves. If the LP fails, they just won't run.
And don't flush the trans. Drop the pan, clean it out, and change the filter.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Actually the lift pumps on the 12 valves aren't as big a problem as with the 24 valves. If the LP fails, they just won't run.
ive heard that you shouldnt flush the trans as well..i did mine anyways and it ran a ton better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not?

And it's too late.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Why not?

And it's too late.
I think the reason is because there is a chance to mess some stuff up in there that isnt broken, and you can cause stuff that isnt functioning well to get worse fast.i

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
There was probably nothing wrong with your lift pump. Read the article I posted the link to above. The lift pump on a 12 valve rarely fails. However, the hoses and fuel heater are common failures that have the same symptoms. There are other possibilities described in the article. The lift pump is the least likely.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was probably nothing wrong with your lift pump. Read the article I posted the link to above. The lift pump on a 12 valve rarely fails. However, the hoses and fuel heater are common failures that have the same symptoms. There are other possibilities described in the article. The lift pump is the least likely.
Let me start with this: I have heard stories of people burning up injector pumps when their low-pressure pumps went out. I assumed, because I don't know much about Cummins engines, that their fuel systems were all basically the same. I have read, now, in this thread that my truck may have just died, rather than burning up a pump. I don't know if that's true or not. My mechanic did not tell me I "dodged a bullet". Those were my words, and that was my sense of relief.

That being said, there seem to be a lot of different terms in use, describing the different pumps in a Dodge/CTD fuel system. I don't know what they're all called, and I'm just learning what they all do. So, it's a pretty good possibility that what I've said may be garbled from what my mechanic told me.

Joe G., when you say "stabbed", I can only assume you mean that you can not only understand my admittedly under-informed use of terminology, but can also find and repair my fuel leak without ever seeing my truck or even reading a description of the symptoms. That's way better than my trusted mechanic (who works on these Cummins-powered trucks weekly, if not daily), who's actually looked at the truck and heard what the problem is. In all honesty and with all due respect, I have nowhere near the knowledge you have. And, while I think it's cool that you've taken the time to describe the fuel system in such detail, there's far too much detail for me to filter through to try and find where I got "stabbed".

What would be more helpful, if help is really what you're offering, is a bit more detail about how you think my mechanic might have misdiagnosed the truck's problem, or, better yet, a request for clarification if something I've said doesn't make sense, given what work my trusted mechanic has done for me.

If "stabbed" doesn't mean "ripped off", then you're not accusing a good man you don't know of being a thief and a liar. He is human, after all, and makes mistakes. It also would also mean that you're not claiming to be a better internet mechanic than the guy who's actually looked at my truck. It would be great if you were really just trying to help and misspoke. It would be really sad if those other things were true, instead.

If those other things are true, though, I'll forward your apology to my mechanic. He's good as gold, and there's probably 100 people in the county who'd gladly put a popknot on your head for suggesting otherwise.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My email address is in my sig. If you want to continue this discussion you can do it by email. My opinion has not changed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts