Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok the other day i shut my truck off and went to start it about a 1/2 hour later and it was a no go....i pull started it it ran drove it about 10 miles shut it off, tried starting it no go. pull started it again. got about 5 miles and it shut off so i just got pulled home the other 5 miles. unhooked the BD lift pump and ran 12V to it and it pumped fuel just fine. started the truck and drove it and shut off, tried another carter pump and the same thing happened...i have 3 codes

P1693-DTC Detected in Companion JTEC Mod

P1689 No Comm between ECM & Inj Pump Mod

P0230 Transfer Pump (Lift Pump) Circ Out Of Range

Now here is another bit of info needed....a few weeks ago my truck died because a loss of fuel i had the BD and intank hooked up to run. i discovered the one in the tank shorted out or is just junk so i just ran the wires that went to the tank, rerouted them to the BD instead of having it spliced. it did run for a few weeks but now im stumped. can someone please shed some light on my DTC codes and what they actually mean and how i can get this resolved?!

Now i read on this forum that if there is too much pressure on the Injection pump that it can ruin it....would that be the case if you just ran your lift pump right from your ignition so when you turn the key the pump just runs...or is that just going to throw codes like i am getting now....i hate this electronic fuel pump. it really sucks! PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Thanks!

Justin

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
yes 23 psi or more will damage the injection pump.

are you using the bd to suck through the stock pump, if so its a restriction probably not your problem, just something to think about.

i would check the wiring, especially the ground

p0230 may be a short in the wiring

to get by, yes you can run the pump off ignition power, but i would use a relay

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the BD pump is sucking fuel through the stock pump in the tank

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I think you need to remove the stock pump from the tank, and put in an original draw straw...The pump in the tank will not allow that much to go through it.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did drive the truck for about a week with the stock lift pump dead before i had this problem

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
injection pump is brand new

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hooked the fuel pump to the ignition so it would run constantly, and it does the same thing, when i step on it the truck dies. i figured the Injection pump would not have to communicate with the lift pump because there would always be max fuel PSI ran constant. i was wrong.....can anyone help me with those DTC Codes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
i did drive the truck for about a week with the stock lift pump dead before i had this problem
It sounds like the in-tank pump got worse from when it first failed. It is probably causing a flow restriction now since the BD pump is pulling through it and starting to strain the BD. The 230 code is probably because the BD pump is working harder and having to draw more amps. It's only a matter of time til that pump fails also. I would pull the in-tank pump out or put a draw straw in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts