Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The usual debate. Having such a difficult time deciding between the two because they each have their pros and cons. I hate the unknown with lift pumps and how they can just go out at any time. I need reliability. BUT

My question is, Are either fairly easy to install. I know you have to drop the tank so i'm sure that's kind of a pain in the arss but are they difficult or just time consuming? Its tough to pay almost 600 to a shop for install when I'm sure I can do it myself. I'm fairly mechanically inclinded, have lots of tools, air toolS and tq wrenches.
Basic tool and some patients get 'er done? What's the most difficult part of installation?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link Phil. I'll look thru that and make a personal judgment call. Although I was more curious to hear from people who have installed them and what their thoughts were on the process.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've installed both. The most time consuming part of project is installing the draw straw into your tank. I've both dropped the tank and removed bed for installation, and removing the bed is WAY easier! I've run both the FASS and now the Fuel Boss. I prefer the fuel boss because of the reliability of the pump itself, and the fact that the stock pump is still active to get you home if anything should happen to the mechanical pump. Also Rich at GDP is a fantastic guy to deal with:thumbsup:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dropping the tank doesn't sound fun but I dont think I'd be able to remove the bed by myself..
it may sound ridiculous but the only way I'll run a fass is if I carry a spare motor with me at all times. I'm in bfe sometimes and im sure I'd pay an arm and a leg to get towed somewhere plus being raped for shop fees if I wasn't near home. A spare motor would be cheaper haha.
I really like the concept of the fuel boss so its a toughy. Increase psi as you accelerate is nice too..

·
Registered
716 Posts
Dropping the tank doesn't sound fun but I dont think I'd be able to remove the bed by myself..
it may sound ridiculous but the only way I'll run a fass is if I carry a spare motor with me at all times. I'm in bfe sometimes and im sure I'd pay an arm and a leg to get towed somewhere plus being raped for shop fees if I wasn't near home. A spare motor would be cheaper haha.
I really like the concept of the fuel boss so its a toughy. Increase psi as you accelerate is nice too..
What are your reservations about the fuel boss?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I got lucky with a good airdog 2 that works great. As far as install I loosened the bed bolts on the right side then removed the left. I was able to easily lift the bed up and slide wood blocks underneath just the left side alone. You could drop the tank or just do that.

Keeping everything extremely clean after the filter is paramount.
Getting the tank module top back on was a ten minute process for me but other than that all pretty easy and strait forward. I have put off relocating mine which I need to do. My filters hang down a little below the frame which will be a big problem for me one day if I don't fix them. I'm putting them up in the rear fender well I believe.

Mine took about three to four hours. $600 would be 6 hours at $100.00/hr ouch.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
"…is if I carry a spare motor with me at all times"…. I think you are confusing a FASS system with an AIRDOG.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
you don't necessarily have to "remove" the bed.
It's possible to remove all the bed bolts EXCEPT the 2 near the bumper and then jack up the front of the bed to get enough clearance. Just loosen the last 2 bolts up (1 on each frame rail) almost all the way out. Leave 4-5 turns in the bed.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
your stock in-tank pump is 10 times better than any mentioned above. if you put on a airdog, carry you a bypass hose so you do not have to walk home, also need it for the fuel boss. the fass is suppose to have a internal check valve so when it fails you do not need the hose.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The fuel boss can be run straight mechanical, or be wired so that the stock pump only runs to prime the system then shutoff. Or in the case of an emergency, the stock pump will take over. The kit comes with everything you need to run it however you like.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
My fass died while back about 80 miles from home and it drive home just fine.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My fass died while back about 80 miles from home and it drive home just fine.
What's the terrain like in the area you're from? I live in a very hilly area, and there was no way I was going anywhere after my 2 fass pumps died on me.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It has been said that the Cummins will run if the lift pump dies.
Yes and no.
When the lift pump died in my '03.5 it was a no.
When the lift pump died in my '04.5 it was a yes.
Only thing I can say is this, If someone tells you the truck will run without the lift pump and then your LP goes out and you wind up riding the shoeleather express home, call a cab and send 'em the bill! :)
Kinda like global warming this winter! sounds like BS where I live!

·
Registered
716 Posts
^^^^^Good point. To elaborate on my statement above...My truck would idle fine, but once any load was put on the engine, it would stall

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
^^^^^Good point. To elaborate on my statement above...My truck would idle fine, but once any load was put on the engine, it would stall
ie. pedestrian. :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My original statement about carrying a spare motor was directed towards a Fass pump because they do fail. Not Nearly to the extent of an airdog but I have no intention of running one of those turds. I know some have luck with them but clearly a Fass is better... BUT they still do fail and at complete random. When I drive my truck I tend to be very far from home on long trips so I can't afford to be stranded from a freakin' lift pump. So if I went electrical, I'd carry a spare even if it sat under my seat for years... eventually it might just come in hand. :)

I don't have an problem with the fuel boss what so ever.. except them being out of stock at the moment. I actually really like them. They look extremely well designed. I really like the concept which is why I'm leaning towards one. I was under the impression that the only way you could start your truck was with it primed by a stock lift pump, then its ready to go. Or is that false. Carrying a spare belt seems like cheaper insurance too. Those cost like 15.00?

The only "bad" thing I heard was where it mounted at the oil pan that eventually oil can leak there? Maybe it was user install error though because I haven't really seen that as a regular occurrence.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its just a tough decision because both have really great feedback.. so many back and forth threads it makes it hard to make up my freakin' mind.

At this point though... I'm not sure there is really a "negative" to the fuel boss.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My original statement about carrying a spare motor was directed towards a Fass pump because they do fail. Not Nearly to the extent of an airdog but I have no intention of running one of those turds. I know some have luck with them but clearly a Fass is better... BUT they still do fail and at complete random. When I drive my truck I tend to be very far from home on long trips so I can't afford to be stranded from a freakin' lift pump. So if I went electrical, I'd carry a spare even if it sat under my seat for years... eventually it might just come in hand. :)

I don't have an problem with the fuel boss what so ever.. except them being out of stock at the moment. I actually really like them. They look extremely well designed. I really like the concept which is why I'm leaning towards one. I was under the impression that the only way you could start your truck was with it primed by a stock lift pump, then its ready to go. Or is that false. Carrying a spare belt seems like cheaper insurance too. Those cost like 15.00?

The only "bad" thing I heard was where it mounted at the oil pan that eventually oil can leak there? Maybe it was user install error though because I haven't really seen that as a regular occurrence.
Nope the stock pump is not required. I ran mine without it for a few weeks with absolutely no problem. It just took a little bit of cranking to get it started after installation, and then when I changed the fuel filter. Other than that it started 1st crank everytime.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts