Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning ladies and gentleman,

I’m looking at upgrading the lift pump on my 06 Ram in the next month or so. Currently the truck has some basic bolt-ons and EFI Live, along with a built transmission. I’ve got plans/dreams of getting into it more in the future and don’t want to replace items I’ve already upgraded, if possible.

With all that being said it seems like the general consensus here and other forums is FASS or Airdog, I was looking at the 165gph models from either of them. Not wanting to start a war here but is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Secondly I’m going to instal either pump with a sump. It looks like the preferred mounting spot is directly under the factory fuel module. I’m not worried about damaging it as I’ll pull the tank anyway and pull the module out before I drill. Does anyone modify the factory module at all since the lower basket is directly over the sump? Would it make sense to pull the factory pump and associated pieces out of the module to help remove obstructions to the sump, maybe drill a few holes in that lower basket as well? I understand I can’t remove the lower basket as this is where the float for the fuel level is located.

Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
860 Posts
What are your hp goals? Have you already done filtration upgrades? If you don’t plan to go above 800hp you may want to consider the fleece in tank stock replacement pump. Very quiet and corrects all of the things that are wrong with the stock lift pump. I don’t like sumps as they create potential safety risks and hazards. Not to mention the possibility for leaks to develop. As for airdog vs fass, the only thing that I can say is that I think the new fass titanium series pumps could be a little bit quieter.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I mounted mine in the flat spot directly forward of the place everyone loves to mount the sumps. Mostly because I did one with a feed/return.

Have had it on for 3+ years and no leaks or issues. Only annoyance is changing the filters. Need a hose clamp pliers or wait until the tank is really empty or it just flows fuel out. I have a pair of hose clamp pliers myself.

I went with the fass. I have the old version that is louder and you can hear it when you are right next to it, but I can't hear it from the cab or standing anywhere else.

I wasn't a fan of airdog, but I'll admit most of that is probably bias.

Only thing I can say, is be careful where you buy them from. Least the fass. If you don't buy it from an authorized reseller you don't get the lifetime warranty. I almost made that mistake because they were cheaper on Amazon, but the lifetime warranty was worth the extra bit of buying it from somewhere authorized.

2,641 Posts
I don't recommend upgrading the excellent factory in-tank lift pump until your low side fuel pressure gauge tells you that you need to!

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the recommendations. I understand and can take the hint that I should probably have some additional monitoring in place before I go into too many mods.

What is the general consensus on how far the stock fuel supply system can go before needing to upgrade? I thought I remembered seeing stuff that the factory setup was only good for basic bolt-ons and once you went into injectors and CP3 upgrades you would run out of fuel pretty quick?

I’ve bought injectors once before so the idea of increased filtration is appealing, not to mention the factory filter isn’t the easiest to access compared to either aftermarket (FASS or Airdog) system down on the frame rail.

·
Trying to learn
5,841 Posts
In-tank OEM LP good to about 550hp IIRC.
Adding the GDP 2mic fuel filter kit between the OEM filter and the CP-3 is used by a bunch of people here.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thank you for the recommendations. I understand and can take the hint that I should probably have some additional monitoring in place before I go into too many mods.

What is the general consensus on how far the stock fuel supply system can go before needing to upgrade? I thought I remembered seeing stuff that the factory setup was only good for basic bolt-ons and once you went into injectors and CP3 upgrades you would run out of fuel pretty quick?

I’ve bought injectors once before so the idea of increased filtration is appealing, not to mention the factory filter isn’t the easiest to access compared to either aftermarket (FASS or Airdog) system down on the frame rail.
The stock fuel pump can support basically efi live or some equal tuning like hptuners, smarty, mm3, stuff like that. Once you go bigger injectors or cp3 the stock fuel pump will struggle hard. Basically you'll run with 0 psi when getting on it LMAO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all again for the replies. I’ve thought about one of GDPs filter kits, however I’ve got an amsoil bypass oil filter system mounted in front of the intake horn where is seems like most people mount these Mk2 filter systems. Could they be mounted down on the frame in a location where a FASS or Airdog would be mounted?

·
Registered
860 Posts
There is a kit to remove the factory filter and install a water separator and a fuel filter down by the frame rake or anywhere else you like. I do not remember who makes it but a quick search should turn up something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts