Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked and looked but my question is still UN answered ....
I'm wanting to upgrade my lift pump in my 05 as it is dying. Air dog or fass would be awesome but I already have a filter system on the truck that I built for under 100$ ... so if I remove the intank pump and replace it with a draw straw what pump should I use ... and when I mount it weather it be a walbro 392 or a Raptor or a holley billet black... can I just tap into the stock lift pump power wires ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would go with the raptor 150 in your situation since its just the pump and you already got the filtration system. All the wiring from the raptor lift pumps mesh with the OEM hardware as apposed to there early models where you had to almost build your own wiring harness, now Raptor comes with a whole plug in play wiring harness which makes it all painless. When i got my raptor in, it took me less than 2 hours to slap it in and drive off. I had the pump on the canister so didn't have to drop the tank

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am leaning toward that raptor just for the quick install of it all. Should I mount its before or after my filtration

·
Registered
39 Posts
really anywhere you want, most instructions and most people mount there pumps on the frame rail but with a little engineering you can put it anywhere you want (just remember your lengths of hosing the kit gives you, use that as your measurement) and as for before and after, i would do it before since you want the cleanest fuel you can get before it goes into the cp3/injectors

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Mount it before the filters for sure. Electric pumps push fuel better than they pull it. You can always install a pre filter before the pump to filter out any crud before it hits your pump.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
how do you know the in-tank pump is dying, they are the most reliable pump out there. you do not need extra fuel for the cp3 like the vp44, in fact you do not need a lift pump. the raptor is the most unreliable pump ever built. if you install one, carry a bypass hose with you so when it fails you can bypass it and continue on down the road. not sure what filters you picked but if you go with a out of tank pump the w/s 10 micron go's before the pump and the 2 micron after. get a brushless pump instead. fuelab, carter now has one and several from germany

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
did not answer all your question. if you go with a out of tank pump, use the tank wires to control a 30 amp lighting relay, add a 30 amp fuse and 10 gauge wire from the battery to the relay and to the pump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
how do you know the in-tank pump is dying, they are the most reliable pump out there. you do not need extra fuel for the cp3 like the vp44, in fact you do not need a lift pump. the raptor is the most unreliable pump ever built. if you install one, carry a bypass hose with you so when it fails you can bypass it and continue on down the road. not sure what filters you picked but if you go with a out of tank pump the w/s 10 micron go's before the pump and the 2 micron after. get a brushless pump instead. fuelab, carter now has one and several from germany
Not gonna doubt your opinion on the raptor but raptor pumps have come a long way from when they were first introduced. I went from having a in-tank pump crashing on me and then to a canister mounted lift pump the shop installed for me after the in-tank one went out on me. I have had no problems with the raptor and with the price they offer for the raptor, its one of the best budgeted pumps i have seen. I agree with you on the fuelab pumps, Obviously to me the best pumps out there are FASS or velocity series pumps offered by fuelab. As long as the said driver is running clean diesel and reg. maintenance to vehicle. Any pump could possibly last as long as the vehicle needs.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel labs are a little pricey for my blood. I wish I could afford it but at the piont funds don't allow it. And I'm suspecting it's going out because when I floor it on the freeway te truck has a very poppy machine gun kinda sound an the other day when I had the truck idling in the driveway the sounds coming from the intank didn't sound normal of healthy

·
White Collar Fabricator
2,262 Posts
Fuel labs are a little pricey for my blood. I wish I could afford it but at the piont funds don't allow it. And I'm suspecting it's going out because when I floor it on the freeway te truck has a very poppy machine gun kinda sound an the other day when I had the truck idling in the driveway the sounds coming from the intank didn't sound normal of healthy
Fill out your sig! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I like that gdp mechanical pump. If I were to ditch the stock lift pump due to massive fueling upgrades. That's the way I would go.
Those aftermarket electrics are loud and I dunno bout the durability of either. Just what a guy reads on here.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
first install a lift pump gauge to see what is happening. get a taped banjo bolt from genosgarage.com for $7, a copper line oil pressure gauge installation kit from autozone for $11 and a glycerin filled 0-15 psi gauge from ww granger for $15. your symptoms are not like a lift pump failing. on your 05 there is two plugs near the rail with 6 in line wires on each pull the plugs and check resistance on each two wires on the head side of the plug, you should read 0.4 to 0.5 each. if over 1 ohm on any one you have a bad crystal solenoid in the injector. if they check out then get a rail pressure gauge to see what is happening. rapadar is correct on the mechanical but with your sig not filled out you may have something in the way to prevent mounting the mechanical. I do not use fuelab because of price, I use a german built brushless pump that I paid $60 for. I installed the last one about 7 years ago and cant remember brand.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I just had brand new 50hp injectors installed les than 4 months ago. other than that I have a tst on the truck. and with it set at 3-3 I can get the truck in the 1350's+ on egts. (if that matters) and with the tuner set lower it does not do that popping I was talking about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.