Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys... up here in fairbanks with not a lot of parts available... but here's the scenario: driving to work on 1/8th tank with 40 miles on dummy light, engine cuts out like a light switch. got pulled to the shop and added fifteen gallons of fuel. traced symptoms back to lift pump (following the metalic shavings from the filter/seperator...). found no output after several (ehem... many) cycles of the 25 second ignition bump... pulled lift pump. wow! bearing fell out when i pulled it. "detonation." here's the $2500 question: would the vp44 have been running on it's own w/o the lift pump (causing it to burn up/seize) also, or am i going to be a couple hundo out with replacing the oem lift pump? your thoughts? also, a thanks to you guys who put time in to these forum shout-outs... you're helpin a lot of guys! cool beans... thanks.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My trucks a bit older with the p pump so I might be wrong but I would think that the VP44 would be working in over time with the lift pump being dead.

If you decide to do the light pump look at an upgrading, airdog, Fass something like that.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
The VP44 will continue to run pulling fuel (working overtime as dezl put it) if there's not a fuel leak allowing air into the lines. It's not good on the VP at all though...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I would suggest that such a catastrophic failure of the lift pump could cause a significant air leak. I would replace the lift pump (hopefully with something on the frame rail running off a auxillary relay) and cross my fingers. And of course the fuel filter housing should be carefully cleaned and magneted out and the filter replaced.

Theoretically the injection pump would continue to run pulling fuel with the diaphragm helper pump inside, but if you got a leak (bearing fell in your hand!) The vp would just pull air and stall like you turned it off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts