Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3 footin' through life
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lift pump issue? Or IPM problem?

I've done a bunch of reading but I can't find the exact symptoms I've been experiencing.

Since buying the truck 3 years ago the Key On position has resulted in a rapid clicking of the lift pump or lift pump relay. This clicking goes for maybe 3 minutes before it stops itself. I believe this to be the IPM doing its thing. Every video of 3rd gen common rails I've ever seen has sounded just like this.

Thursday working in the garage I realized that with the key on the pump is now doing a "surging" type of sound. Sounds like... Pumping whine for 1+ second then off then back on then back off. This happens continuously. "HUMMMMMM..... Silent....... HUMMMMMMMM.... Silent HUMMMMM.... Etc." Noticing this I turned the key back off and back on. Noise persited. Turned key off again and back on. Noise returned to the normal clicking type noise. I logged this issue in my mind to keep track of.

Sunday, Mothers Day, I'm with my mother in my truck and we are trying to leave brunch. Turn to on position. Crank. No Start. Crank again. No start. Turn key off. Turn back on. Crank. Start. Unfortunately I didn't have the window open so I couldn't hear the noises.

Now this morning. Key on. Crank. No start. Crank again. No start. Key off. Key on. Crank. No start. Key off again. Key on. Crank. Start. Pump was audibly doing the surge stop surge stop noise.

Now getting to work I shut down. Go key back on several times and all sounds normal.

This is the first problem I've had at all with the engine in this truck in 3 years since I bought it. Please lend me your advice.

Unfortunately I only have a boost gauge at this point. My next gauges were going to be EGT and Low pressure fuel. Ironic...

·
3 footin' through life
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK the drive after work was fine. One start leaving work with no problems. One more problem free start at school after selling back some overpriced books. Looks like I'm going to be able to continue driving while I figure this out.

Low pressure fuel pressure gauge is now my #1 priority. Question... Why does ISSPRO only offer 0-40? Where is the 0-20 or 0-30PSI?

Ideas...?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lift pump issue? Or IPM problem?

I've done a bunch of reading but I can't find the exact symptoms I've been experiencing.

Since buying the truck 3 years ago the Key On position has resulted in a rapid clicking of the lift pump or lift pump relay. This clicking goes for maybe 3 minutes before it stops itself. I believe this to be the IPM doing its thing. Every video of 3rd gen common rails I've ever seen has sounded just like this.

Thursday working in the garage I realized that with the key on the pump is now doing a "surging" type of sound. Sounds like... Pumping whine for 1+ second then off then back on then back off. This happens continuously. "HUMMMMMM..... Silent....... HUMMMMMMMM.... Silent HUMMMMM.... Etc." Noticing this I turned the key back off and back on. Noise persited. Turned key off again and back on. Noise returned to the normal clicking type noise. I logged this issue in my mind to keep track of.

Sunday, Mothers Day, I'm with my mother in my truck and we are trying to leave brunch. Turn to on position. Crank. No Start. Crank again. No start. Turn key off. Turn back on. Crank. Start. Unfortunately I didn't have the window open so I couldn't hear the noises.

Now this morning. Key on. Crank. No start. Crank again. No start. Key off. Key on. Crank. No start. Key off again. Key on. Crank. Start. Pump was audibly doing the surge stop surge stop noise.

Now getting to work I shut down. Go key back on several times and all sounds normal.

This is the first problem I've had at all with the engine in this truck in 3 years since I bought it. Please lend me your advice.

Unfortunately I only have a boost gauge at this point. My next gauges were going to be EGT and Low pressure fuel. Ironic...

Did you ever find out the issue?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts