Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background...

Diesels are very new to me. I bought my 98.5 24V Cummins (4x4, NV4500) with about 180K miles on it back in June of last year. When I first test-drove it I was blown away with how much 'pop' it had. First thing I did was change the oil and fuel filter too, so let's account for that.

I bought the truck as my tow-rig for my non-street-worthy 4x4, needing a tug from park to park.

Well, a few months go by before it's time to do my first pull, and it was a doozy. About 7500-8000 lbs through the KY and TN mountains, and man was I disappointed. I was following a buddy with a similar pull behind his brand new '07 Tundra, and he absolutely left me at the first steep hill.

I felt like I had no power, downshifting further and further and still not having much.

So ever since then I've been trying to figure out what my problem has been. I removed the muffler(s) and bought a K&N intake. A few more pulls, and more following disappointment. Then I joined Cummins Forum, and started reading around a little.

Turned out that I had a few codes (2 overboost codes, and 1 bus miscommunication code). Somewhere along the way, I got the advice to check fuel, and finally yesterday got a fuel pressure gage hooked up.

11psi at the injection pump at idle. The tiniest load and it drops just below 10, and with an empty load and nothing in the bed, I saw 6psi just getting it up to speed yesterday.

So I'm thinking my lift pump needs replacing. (Agree?)

My question is, what should I do? I'm not opposed to an AirDog, or FASS, but do I really need 1 of those? I plan to add a little more with like an Edge EZ chip, and a boost elbow, but I think that's all I really plan on "adding".

Would adding a Holley Blue be a cheaper fix? If I went that route, should I replace the stock lift pump too?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for all the text, I just thought I'd answers some obvious questions that would come up.

Thanks for any help.

BTW, is this more a question for the performance discussion?

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Fuel pressure needs to be between 10-20psi at all times. Yours is not terrible, but not ideal. I would replace the factory lift pump with a FASS or AirDog. After that toss some power adders and you will walk the dog. I would not use a Holly pump, and definitely not the blue... black if i were in a pinch, but I would have to be in a big f'n pinch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The more recent Holley pumps seem to be prone to leaking at the lower seal. I recently replaced my Holley Blue, after rebuilding it twice, with an Aeromotive pump. Its only been on a week so hard to tell on longevity. On a stock to mildly upgraded truck I didn't want to spend the big dollars. I did upgrade to 3/8 lines and replaced all of the banjo bolts. The nice thing with the AirDog and FASS is it is an all in one system with a warrenty.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
The blue pumps can't handle diesel. Blacks seem to do better, but I still wouldn't go that route unless I had to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AirDog 100 ordered. Thanks for all the advice. I just want some stout parts, good warranties, and no worries.

Looking forward to pegging that fuel pressure gage (by comparison)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts