Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of no where truck has developed an intermittent issue. Turn key on and the lift pump is not triggering/running, grid heater symbol in dash is not coming on and minimax is not getting power.

Truck will not start when this occurs. Engine turns over fine but will not lite off.

Turn key off and on several times and then everything starts work as normal.

It doesn’t do it every time so it’s hard to troubleshoot. Thinking possibly switch or a relay. There are several in the fuse box but not sure which one would take out the lift pump, grid heater and minimax.

Any help or experience with similar issue is appreciated.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This sounds like the ECM is not communicating with the rest of the truck. When the ECM failed in my truck, the engine would crank but no start. The Mini gets it’s power directly from the ECM via the OBD port.

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,733 Posts
Is the ignition switch a possibility?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Den52 - when your ECM was failing did it set any codes? Mine is not setting any codes at all.

TryNto - I have also thought it may be an ignition switch just wanted to see if others had any similar issues or if the switches/key has given anyone else issue

·
Registered
441 Posts
I was in MO when my trouble started. My brother and I had moved our mom into assisted living and my daughter wanted a bedroom suit from mom’s duplex so I rented a uhaul trailer and drove to a station and filled up before hitching onto the loaded trailer. When I pulled out of the station I noticed my truck running rough, and the further I drove it the worse it ran. The next AM we tried to start it and it cranked like normal but no start. I called a tow truck and had it hauled to the local Ram dealer and they messed with it a couple days and told me their diagnostic machine couldn’t get anything from the ECM. They ordered a new ECM from another dealer and had it overnight shipped and installed the next day but the truck wouldn’t start. It eventually did but they really didn’t know what they did to get it to run. I paid them $4600 and then had to drive it to a private diesel shop to have my EZlynk tune reinstalled. Ok, we’re good to go back to CO. Oh no, the further we go the rougher the truck runs. It stalled in Kearney, NE while getting fuel and wouldn’t restart. I had it towed to another private diesel shop and they diagnosed a bad fuel control actuator, which I think was the reason for it not starting even with the new ECM. There never was a CE light. Friends asked me why I didn’t just trade it in on another truck, but I have this truck set up the way I like it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts