Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i take off hard it pulls fine for a few sec thin falls on its face. Like its running out of fuel. It dont matter if i pump the throttle of back off it seems like it still takes a few sec for the truck to pull at all again...

It mainly is when its in the boost pretty good. I have some thought that the wastegate clyonid is bad... i have no gauges so i have no idea what shes at.
If i take off down the highway it does the same thing at times.

But for sure if i stomp it. It just starts cutting out after a few sec if that:butt:. some times ill get a good 1/16 mile run outta it but not very much

is this a lift pump problem,cp3 or just overboost??

when it comes back alive of give a little puff of smoke...

·
Registered
7 Posts
not exactly sure but it definatly does not sound like the cp3 they are a much better pump than the vp44 on the second gen. it sounds like a boost problem because the lift pump in that truck is in the tank and if the lift pump goes out the truck will not run because the cp3 cant siphon it through the pump. the lift pump may be going bad but most of the time they just go out and thats that

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. Truck will pull hard for a second and then not at all then take off again. I have the 6 speed and 2nd and 3rd do it the worst. I just put a boost gauge in it today and here is the way my boost is reading. This is a stock turbo as far as I know. Full throttle its pegging my 30psi gauge and keeping it there. Even when it falls on its face I still have 30psi of boost. Under normal accel. I am seeing 10-20 psi depending on terrain. Easy cruising 5psi or less. It is staying very consistent as well. The seat of the pants feel however is not. One minute I am pinned in the seat next minute I am wondering if the tank is empty. My next purchase is going to be a full set of gauges so I can monitor everything and try to figure out what this is.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that I am experiencing hard starting as well. Doesn't do it all the time but it is getting more frequent. I also only hear the pump run when I start it for the first time in the morning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
( QOUTE )One minute I am pinned in the seat next minute I am wondering if the tank is empty.

That is exactly what mine is doing to the T. :lol3::rof:thud::woot::hyper:

Mine would die sometimes when this happens and it takes a cople trys of 5 sec cranks of the key to restart it. ( BUT I THANK THAT OLD COOKING OIL MADE IT DO THAT)

Mine will "defuel " during any gear anytime i got boost. Its horrible when your trying to get up a hill of any size, The trucks just quits and trys to idle. some times dies some times comes back alive... Ive noticed that it dont matter if i left off the gas or keep it to the floor... Though i can feel it starting to bogg down and i can back off the throttle a little wile driving on the highway and u can feel it power back up... bug if your must past 1/4-1/2 throttle for more than a few sec its GAME OVER :CRY:
((This probably has nothing to do with this problem but....))
It will also stay reved up for about 2 sec when i floor it in park before it idles back down from redline. (well 3400rpm) I thank thats because of teh rail pressure or somthing though. one guy told me the injectors are bad if it does this. though ive read its what all the common rails do on this forum

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sounds like yours is doing it way worse than mine. Mine doesn't go all the way down to idle it stays in the revs it just doesn't go anywhere. I haven't had it shut off on me yet either.
I still ain't used to all these sensors and stuff yet. My old Ford if its got air and fuel it will run. If it don't run there are only 2 things wrong at most.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like yours is doing it way worse than mine. Mine doesn't go all the way down to idle it stays in the revs it just doesn't go anywhere. I haven't had it shut off on me yet either.

Well, now that i thank about it i put 1/2 tank of fuel in it and it stoped trying to die. I just goth the truck and it had some crappy cooking oil in it... It was my folt.. yes i know never to use cooking oil in it now..

Now it just seems like its defueling like u.

Like u floor it and it takes off and DEFUEL 2000-2800 rpms just stays there even when i keep it to the floor for a 30sec. no faster.. maybe slows downa little even
till let off and push ez on the gas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe one of the masters will chime in and get us going full bore again...
wheres big blue or dad when u need them? ; )

Ohhhhhhhhhh DAD......

·
Registered
866 Posts
I hear ya. I think we are having the same problem for sure. I thought that I was just starting to imagine it but now I don't think so. At first I kinda thought my clutch was slipping but if that was it then I would think it would do it in every gear. Yours is an auto right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup auto 48re with no reverse. weird i know.... but gos forwards just fine.
YOUR NOT imagining anything theres issues here....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove it some more today.
I really thank that its boost related.
maybe too much boost and its defueling..

Or maybe its starved for fuel
could be a little of both.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I run mine everyday and usually with a trailer. I did notice that when I fired it up to leave for the day it had the most power when I had just started it and as it got up to temp I started losing. Wasn't smoking as much today though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Apparently no one likes us :BS:
other than that i have no idea..

mine is hit and miss.

i keft flooring it today and out of about 20 times i got 3 good pulls that lasted 3 sec each.
It seems to still smoke a little even when its " defueling" or what ever, Boost dont seem to drop any during this also. I can move my wastegate a little by hand but is stiff. SO its not suck
It just kinda kills power but syatys reved up.
it smoke a little even light boost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bump for help

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't think anyone else is going to post.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya, It sucks....
wonder what there problem is??

why dont u make a new post..
see if we can get some att. like that.

If not ill sign up for the diesel resorce. and drop this site.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes that was the first thing i did, i starting to thank its the lift pump of somthing.
im gonna trya holly blue.

do u know what psi i need to run.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you don't want to do that :lol3:

No i dont want to do that, I just need a little help guys....

I dont even have a boost gauge.
I bought one but havenrt hooked it up yet.

Im getting ready to put in a new fuel pump... hopefully the holly blue will suck through the intank lift pump.

·
Registered
203 Posts
dude... just get some gauges first... they will help you diagnose the problem... get boost, egt, tranny temp (if you have an automatic) and fuel/rail pressure...

this way since you are having this problem you will be able to identify it easily... just take it one step at a time

1 - 20 of 35 Posts