Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the lift pump controller is for the 1990 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 cummins? I am not getting any voltage back at the tank pump. Thanks John...

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
The CTD trucks do not use an intank pump. Our fuel pump (also known as a lift pump) is located on the drives side of the engine just in front of the starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 1990 Dodge D350 with the 5.9 diesel has a pump in the tank and one on the side of the motor. Can't figure out why I don't have voltage at the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
My 1990 Dodge D350 with the 5.9 diesel has a pump in the tank and one on the side of the motor. Can't figure out why I don't have voltage at the pump.

:thud:

When was the in pump tank installed? Assume it was some time ago by the previous owner? If so and the person knew what he was doing, it would have a relay some where. Find that relay and your on your way. :thumbsup

BTW, these trucks don't have an in tank pump unless someone was creative and thought it needed one for some reason :w::$:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
That's curious.

Provided that it's one of the Diesel-spec in-tank lift pumps that they put on VP trucks ($$$), I would keep it installed just to keep from sucking air into the lines...

·
Banned
400 Posts
Failure Modes

I guess it might depend on you're failure mode preference - sucking air, or spitting fuel? Rubber hose connections fitted with worm gear clamps would seem better suited to suction failure than pressure failure.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Spitting fuel failure is a lot eaisier to locate and won't introduce air into the engine.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'd rather have to personally finance 12 tanks of Diesel, a child's college tuition to Harvard and a Exxon executive payroll than to shake my entire fuel system down for invisible air leaks.

Invisible air leaks are a [email protected]$#%.

·
Banned
400 Posts
System Design

My only point is the system is designed for pull, not push. You may achieve unexpected results after departing from the intended design. There's good reason why it's all hard line from the LP forward.

Whether or not you can successfully troubleshoot it, regardless of what it is would be another topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts