Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the best place to ask or not but anyways...

I found out today that I have broken leafs on both sides of the front of my truck.
I was planning on lifting my truck anyways and I guess this is now the incentive.

I was planning on a 6" lift Skyjacker leaf from Summit with the new shocks.

What else do I need for the truck to make the lift work?

I know I'll need new brake lines.
It's suggested to get a new adjustible drag link.

Is there anything else I'll need? will I need to replace the pitman arm or anything else? to make this work properly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
you will need a adjustable drag link unless you dont want your truck to turn to the left,

for the brake lines i just took a piece of flat strap and lowered the brake lines thats it.

i suggest at least 35 in tires if 36's would look perfect and 37's will still clear without trimming the fenders anything bigger you'll have to cut into the fenders

·
Registered
536 Posts
also check ebay for lifts before you buy from summit they used to be on there for a couple hundred cheaper

·
Banned
400 Posts
A drop pitman is a much better solution than an adjustable draglink. It still won't steer right with just an adjustable draglink connected to the stock pitman. Crossover steering would be best for any lift over 4".

·
Registered
536 Posts
A drop pitman is a much better solution than an adjustable draglink. It still won't steer right with just an adjustable draglink connected to the stock pitman. Crossover steering would be best for any lift over 4".
cross over steering is the best but just a drop pitman arm isnt good enough it still wont turn left. i know because i only have the 6 inch drop pitman arm on mine and it doesnt work "no turn to the left"

my cousin has the 4 inch skyjacker with a adjustable drag link and his steers perfect with plent of adjustment left for a 6 inch

·
Registered
661 Posts
what if i was to go with the skyjacker 2.5" lift what would i need to change???......dont mean to steal the thread

·
Registered
240 Posts
Both right. Adj. link plus drop pitman arm is good. Crossover is the best way to go. It's in the works for mine right now.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Is there anywhere that sells the crossover? I've been looking around and haven't found any

I suppose I could buy the drop pitman and an adj. draglink but combined those cost roughly $350 from summit and I haven't been able to find them anywhere else cheaper yet. I wouldn't think the crossover would be much more? and it is a lot better overall...

EDIT

Would this highsteer kit work? Offroad Design - Fullsize 4x4 Performance

Just browsing around right now...

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I do suppose buying from them would be better for me seeing as how I wouldn't get nailed with duties which might happen if I bought from the US.

I also noticed their dana 60 king pin rebuild kit. What's the difference in their kit for $169 and 4WD Factories kit for $50 a side?
The reason i ask is because I hope to rebuild the king pins at the same time and just get it done and over with. The truck has 391k kms on it and they have never been done so it's probably about time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't see any difference. I ordered mine from here 4WD Factory
Note that the kits don't include the lower kingpins. If you want them they must be ordered seperately. I went with the whole package, along with the 7/8 hex tool for removal. Figured I only want to do this once, might as well do it all.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah those stupid king pins need something like 500-600 lbs so I'll have to find myself a very long bar to get the king pins out... and ofc I'll have to buy the 7/8 hex. That's a monstrous hex...

How much did the lower king pins cost? I can't find them listed on 4WD Factory.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's listed as "lower king pin cap"

·
Registered
240 Posts
Reactions: olweldinrig

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I might be able to make the tool a lot cheaper if I can find the stuff to do it and find a machine shop to bend the bar but after the time it would take as well as the cost of fuel to drive it might not be worth my time. After all diesel is $1.399 a litre today... :(
City driving that equates to roughly 4kms for every dollar spent. or what? 2.5 miles for every dollar? something like that. At these prices I'd be better off selling my truck and buying a TDI! :CRY:

thanks for the help guys I appreciate it a ton. Now to wait until the end of the month to order what I need for the truck :thumbsup

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just rebuilt my front end in my 92. these have kingpins and bushings on the top and trunnion bearings and races on the bottom. It cost me 105 dollars for both sides including spindle kits. My boss had a new 7/8 allen socket so i used it and a 1" tire gun for the kingpins. I have a complete list of spicer part numbers for the whole project so pm me if you want them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could do a shackle flip. drag link or pitman or steering arm (no sure for the 60) or a combo of them for some appliacations. When I lifted my 78 Warlock the steering block worked best, on the 85 Ramcharger the pitman arm was not enough so I am trying the steering arm (dana 44) but crossover is the best overall. here is a link to the place I am getting mine.

Shakerbuilt
:thumbsup

1 - 18 of 18 Posts