Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentelmen,

I am trying to put togeather a lift and have a few issues.

# 1, I wanted a Rize or a top gun customz long arm. The rize is too rich for my blood for what i want out of it (lader bars and control arms). And top gun wont answer my email and i have heard it sucks.

# 2, I came up with this,
-Super lifts K866B rock runner (kinda long arm) with the Bilstien SS shocks
-Super lifts Torque Max Ladder Bars
-Super lifts Dual Steering Stabilizer, W Bilstien SS's
-Super Lifts Dual front shock mount, W Bilstien SS's
Heres where it gets weird
-Skyjacker 4" Leafs (ditch the 4" blocks)
-Super Lifts 2" Blocks
-Daystar 2" Leveling spacers in front
The idea is to bring it up to near or at 8" I can get all parts on the list for around 4 grand.

Is there a problem with my concept in the front using the superlift "long arms" and spacers to bring her up to 8"? The back should be no biggie right. Will i have a problem with drive shaft angles since there is no tranny crossmember like i think the rize comes with? Let me know if you guys see anything really wrong with this idea.

My truck prettymuch stays on the hard ball, if i go off road i am in a field hunting or whatever. I dont hill climb, sled-pull or dune jump.

Thank in advance

·
That Truck Guy
6,375 Posts
If you have $4k to spend I would look at the 8" Pure Performance coilover kit that comes with traction bars. Add some Bilsteins to the and a good steering stabilizer and you should be right around $4k.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you have $4k to spend I would look at the 8" Pure Performance coilover kit that comes with traction bars. Add some Bilsteins to the and a good steering stabilizer and you should be right around $4k.
I did look at it but the coil over thing worries me, is that kit even complete after you add a steering stabilize and rear shocks. it just looks like its lacking parts. Is that a quality kit? I really want 8" all suspension.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
from my expierience with PURE, ( 8" LIFT ON A POWERWAGON W/LONG ARMS) THEY HAVE GREAT KITS,very good quality, great people to deal with

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would really just like to have a top gun customs long arm kit with some bilstiens, but they refuse to give me a quote over the net. for $3000 i could have a decient 8" full suspension lift.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why not pm that guy in the other thread that built his lift for $1300.00
you or i or him should not be able to build a lift, it is a suspension part it is not somthing i want to piece togeather myself. I feel as if it should involve some engeneering and testing that superlift or rize or TGC should have hopefully done. i dont know.

it sucks to have money to spend and be scared to spend it beacuse your afraid you will buy somthing that will not work right or be crap.:banghead::banghead::banghead::doh:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
the top gun kit is only 2000, then add shocks....bilsteins are 288 from them. i pieced my kit from several companies picking the pieces i wanted , and still came within $250 of this kit and it rode great..... my kit...bds front springs w/2"spacer, pure long arms and t-bar, 5-7" pitman arm, deaver rear leafs 6" and bilstein 5100's, my only change woulb be shocks.... 7100 if your offroading at speed, mine was for crawling wich is why i chose bds springs(linear rate) instead of variable... the 5100 may get hot with the flex of the deavers if being worked alot

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
just some fyi... the $250 difference i spent was have things shipped from other places, so the lift was cheaper

·
Registered
586 Posts
you or i or him should not be able to build a lift, it is a suspension part it is not somthing i want to piece togeather myself. I feel as if it should involve some engeneering and testing that superlift or rize or TGC should have hopefully done. i dont know.
What? Says who? If someone is a "competent" fabricator, there's no reason why you couldn't. Most suspension companies put little emphasis on geometry and more on looks. The only reason I didn't build my own arms and trac bar is because I didn't have the time.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the top gun kit is only 2000, then add shocks....bilsteins are 288 from them. i pieced my kit from several companies picking the pieces i wanted , and still came within $250 of this kit and it rode great..... my kit...bds front springs w/2"spacer, pure long arms and t-bar, 5-7" pitman arm, deaver rear leafs 6" and bilstein 5100's, my only change woulb be shocks.... 7100 if your offroading at speed, mine was for crawling wich is why i chose bds springs(linear rate) instead of variable... the 5100 may get hot with the flex of the deavers if being worked alot

Do you have pictures of what this rig turned out to look like. it sounds like what im lookin for,

·
That Truck Guy
6,375 Posts
What? Says who? If someone is a "competent" fabricator, there's no reason why you couldn't. Most suspension companies put little emphasis on geometry and more on looks. The only reason I didn't build my own arms and trac bar is because I didn't have the time.
I totally agree,
I have seen/owned some lifts from big name manufacturers that I wont name(SuperLift/SkyJacker) that had some pretty bad welding/engineering. On the other hand I have seen some homefab stuff that is pretty amazing. It all comes down to time and money. The homefab guy might have 10 hours into fabrication of his arms while the bigger companies have to build/weld/powdercoat these in an hour using $8 an hour employees. I'm not knocking all of the manufacturers because there has to be a balance somewhere. On the other hand, the home fab guy would be amazed at what he wouls have to sell his products for to make a buck after materials/time/overhead.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess its my fault but can we just leave this thread with the opening question, Will a 6" super lift with the Long arms work properly with 2" coil spacers?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nevermind, just ended up buying the RIZE and just went with the 2.0's hope it wanst a mistake ME>>:buttkick:<<ME

·
That Truck Guy
6,375 Posts
Nevermind, just ended up buying the RIZE and just went with the 2.0's hope it wanst a mistake ME>>:buttkick:<<ME
Sorry that things got off track on here.
Based on your needs needs the Rize is a great choice. You will like it alot better than a Superlift with or without a spacer. They are the only company that addresses the steering issue,the front driveline issue and has great ride wthout having to buy a bunch of other components. Congrats on your decision and post pics when it is done.:headbang:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It sounds like a good deal,,,, i just wanted ladder bars and all the goodies..... i just wonder if i should have bought the resivor shocks? could i run dual shocks up front? i wonder how bad some bilstien 7100's would ride.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It sounds like a good deal,,,, i just wanted ladder bars and all the goodies..... i just wonder if i should have bought the resivor shocks? could i run dual shocks up front? i wonder how bad some bilstien 7100's would ride.
You should like the rize kit. If you do mild off-roading the 2.0's should be fine.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
your shocks will hold up unless some serious offroding at speed is being done. only a hand ful of people really push there shocks beyond there limits

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im already wishing i would have bought the BDS kit with ladder bars and triple shocks up front! it may not be too late

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
dont think that more shocks help ride , if they are valved wrong it just gets worse, like steering stabilizers, if all angles are rite you shouldnt need much stabilization, they just add drag and wear to steering parts, get agood shock with adjustable valving and youll love the ride

1 - 20 of 21 Posts