Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to Rough Country today and asked them if I should go with the 2.5" spacers or 2.0" springs in the front. He recommended the springs of course which coincidentaly cost more. The truck's suspension is currently bone stock. I will be removing the front bumper and adding one that is 185lbs and I'll be using a square tube for the rear. One thing I don't get is how one is 2.5" and the other is 2.0" and they both say they will level the front end with the rear. I guess 0.5" doesn't make much of a difference? I was also thinking of beefing up the rear springs and hardware too but nothing major. 0-1" tops. Did I mention I wasn't trying to spend a ton either?

I'm also not stuck on Rough Country. They just seemed like a good price.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
this is my personal opinion, i have owed two of these trucks, and had a 2.5 leveling kit on my old truck, on my new one i decided to try something different, instead of leveling the the front i took the three block spacer that was under the leaf pack, its just the factory lift, and removed them, my truck sits level now, and rides better and has less rear drive line angle = less vibration, ( not to mention less wear on your front end smoother ride and better MPGs, and that you can run smaller tires and it still looks good) then i took that 200 bucks that would have been spent on spacer or coils and bought airbags for the rear so when i do tow I'm not sitting on the bump stops, I am very happy with my free leveling kit and airbags, think about it

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is my personal opinion, i have owed two of these trucks, and had a 2.5 leveling kit on my old truck, on my new one i decided to try something different, instead of leveling the the front i took the three block spacer that was under the leaf pack, its just the factory lift, and removed them, my truck sits level now, and rides better and has less rear drive line angle = less vibration, ( not to mention less wear on your front end smoother ride and better MPGs, and that you can run smaller tires and it still looks good) then i took that 200 bucks that would have been spent on spacer or coils and bought airbags for the rear so when i do tow I'm not sitting on the bump stops, I am very happy with my free leveling kit and airbags, think about it
I actually don't hate the idea, and I do have some time to think it over as this is truck project 3 (I'm still on 1 and haven't even started 2.) It would be a great way to save money for other needs I have for the truck. I haul about 10% of the time, load it up with gear and take it on the road and off a good amount. But I enjoy a trip through the grass as much as the next guy. It also commutes me to work so MPGs are always on my mind.

I do like the look of a taller truck but I'm not talking about a 5" lift kit here. About 2" in the front and 0-1" in the rear mainly just for improved driving. Most of my hauling is "in-bed." The rear air ride makes a lot of sense but it would have to wait if I raise the front. Don't forget about the steel I'm tacking on either.

How did this truck you lowered the back end on handle off road situations as compared to the one you leveled the front on?

Thanks for the feedback as I hadn't even considered it. Dont suppose you have a pic handy? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Any other opinions on spacers vs coils?

Remember, this truck will need steel bumpers, starting with the rear.

This will end up on the front (185lbs.) That's why the guy said springs, not spacers.

Something like this is going on the back very soon. I might make it into something more elaborate later on in life, or I may just cap the ends, make the cut outs for the lights add a few thoughtful features and call it done. I may not even recess the license plate, just frame it in. I wont know that until after I get it on the truck and think it over.
But that's for another thread entirely, point is it will weigh something and that needs to be considered.

All thoughts on the original topic are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Off road it handles great, better than lifted i think because the body is closer to the axle so less vibration/sway and like i mentioned before less drive line angle so less vibration, I have kings on the truck with specially ordered valving, so my truck rides great im sure there are little differences, but over all i think you would be happy with it, With the spring rate on these trucks i would not worry about the extra bumper weight it not much compared to normally carried loads or even having say 4 people in your cab, (there is a little leverage added to it being that the bumpers are on the outsides of the spring, if you get what im saying). I will try to get a pic up, I hate posting pics :)

Reactions: PWTurboProps

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would do the bumper first to make sure how much lift you really need to level. Then go from there.
That makes a lot of sense of course. The rear bumper I need on very soon, the front is costly and can wait. It's mostly for zombies. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would stay away from spacers. IMO thats not worth the accelerated wear on the front end, and cause you a large problem in the future with death wobble. Check out Carli springs, or even call them. The price isn't bad and good quality. Also, they have the "settle" rate after install. Maybe even give you a idea how much with the added weight of the front bumper. Good luck!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I would stay away from spacers. IMO thats not worth the accelerated wear on the front end, and cause you a large problem in the future with death wobble. Check out Carli springs, or even call them. The price isn't bad and good quality. Also, they have the "settle" rate after install. Maybe even give you a idea how much with the added weight of the front bumper. Good luck!
So coil spacers bad but springs that raise the front end just as much not b#ad? How so?

·
Registered
38 Posts
:banghead:My mistake, at work and wasn't completey paying attention to what I wrote. What I was trying to get to was an adjustable trac bar. I meant the ride would be terrible with spacers, and you would need a trac bar to get the axle centered under the truck. Sorry. :banghead:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:banghead:My mistake, at work and wasn't completey paying attention to what I wrote. What I was trying to get to was an adjustable trac bar. I meant the ride would be terrible with spacers, and you would need a trac bar to get the axle centered under the truck. Sorry. :banghead:
Don't worry about it. Now I have another competitor to check out and You informed me that with spacers the ride is not as good as with new springs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thuren Fabrication is the company that shows the settle rates, but both are great companies! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
What he said is correct. Spacers and lifted coils will both change your geometry the same, however dropping the track bar is what will even it back out. Another company to check out is KORE. I have been researching what to do as well. I have a bumper I built that weighs about the same, but add a 12k winch to it, and it dropped my stock ride height probably about an inch, maybe a hair more. Kore's kit is coils, shocks, and the drop brackets for $475, Carli is the same stuff but uses drop end links instead of blocks, and their kit is $825. They all say 2-3" lift because it depends on your truck. What I was told, a single cab will raise 3", a Quad 2.5", and a mega 2". According to the peanut gallery, they are both great kits, and are at the top of everyone's list. The difference being people prefer the KORE kit if they are doing more off roading, and the Carli kit supposedly handles better on the street, better than stock even. Soooo, there ya go. I want Carli, but I don't want to pay for it. Your call.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What he said is correct. Spacers and lifted coils will both change your geometry the same, however dropping the track bar is what will even it back out. Another company to check out is KORE. I have been researching what to do as well. I have a bumper I built that weighs about the same, but add a 12k winch to it, and it dropped my stock ride height probably about an inch, maybe a hair more. Kore's kit is coils, shocks, and the drop brackets for $475, Carli is the same stuff but uses drop end links instead of blocks, and their kit is $825. They all say 2-3" lift because it depends on your truck. What I was told, a single cab will raise 3", a Quad 2.5", and a mega 2". According to the peanut gallery, they are both great kits, and are at the top of everyone's list. The difference being people prefer the KORE kit if they are doing more off roading, and the Carli kit supposedly handles better on the street, better than stock even. Soooo, there ya go. I want Carli, but I don't want to pay for it. Your call.
Can I accomplish this with stock components or will I need to buy an adjustable track bar?

My front shocks limit me to 2.5" so I need to keep it around there. Didn't want much more than level anyways.

So spacers require a track bar and springs will not?

About this death wobble; spacers more prone than springs? I have an aftermarket steering damper. Anything else recommended to combat this? Do spacers contribute to it and to a greater degree than springs?

Thanks

P.S. The "death wobble" spacer comment was from "cummin smoke" my mistake sir.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Off road it handles great, better than lifted i think because the body is closer to the axle so less vibration/sway and like i mentioned before less drive line angle so less vibration, I have kings on the truck with specially ordered valving, so my truck rides great im sure there are little differences, but over all i think you would be happy with it, With the spring rate on these trucks i would not worry about the extra bumper weight it not much compared to normally carried loads or even having say 4 people in your cab, (there is a little leverage added to it being that the bumpers are on the outsides of the spring, if you get what im saying). I will try to get a pic up, I hate posting pics :)
Pretty easy to do? Could try it for awhile if it's not a big deal. Cons?

I can't ignore the fact that your way would help keep the truck from going high-center in a bad situation. But I do like the look of a leveled truck with the front end up a couple inch. Commanding...ya know?

Going to have to continue to look into this and mull it over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a set of 2" spacers in my living room that costed me $66 shipped to my front door with a lifetime warranty from fat Bobs garage. They are $45 then shipping is the rest. A cheaper option for ya.

I am not sure what this "death wobble" is or where it comes from but my pops has a 04 with 2" spacers and it has almost 300k on his truck and I seriously doubt many people use their truck for work as much as he does so take that for what it's worth. It's a way to level your truck for a decent price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a set of 2" spacers in my living room that costed me $66 shipped to my front door with a lifetime warranty from fat Bobs garage. They are $45 then shipping is the rest. A cheaper option for ya.

I am not sure what this "death wobble" is or where it comes from but my pops has a 04 with 2" spacers and it has almost 300k on his truck and I seriously doubt many people use their truck for work as much as he does so take that for what it's worth. It's a way to level your truck for a decent price.

Very true. Another for spacers. That's why I'm mulling it. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can I accomplish this with stock components or will I need to buy an adjustable track bar?

My front shocks limit me to 2.5" so I need to keep it around there. Didn't want much more than level anyways.

So spacers require a track bar and springs will not?

About this death wobble; spacers more prone than springs? I have an aftermarket steering damper. Anything else recommended to combat this? Do spacers contribute to it and to a greater degree than springs?

Thanks

P.S. The "death wobble" spacer comment was from "cummin smoke" my mistake sir.
Any lift to the front end of the truck will require more parts to be done correctly. ie: Trac bar and relocation bracket, adjustable control arms.

When the truck was built, it was built to specs as it sits off the lot. When you raise the front end of the truck you have to compensate for that in other areas. Now, most people don't believe death wobble is directly related to leveling kits. Me personally believe it has alot to do with it, when leveled, the parts wear alot faster due to being out of spec. I'm not trying to steer you away from this, just trying to help.

If you look at my sig, 3k to elimante this "death wobble" problem. Thats not including new tires either.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Not all trucks get this, however, I know 2 trucks personally that have/had death wobble. My buddies truck and mine, and both have leveling kits. My buddies happened the day after he installed the coil spacers.

Search death wobble. Not an untouched topic in the world of straight axle vehicles.

It's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts