Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a step by step for the 2wd spacer install??? I have the truck on stands just kinda scared on where to start. I can work on just about anything, just worried about working on my own truck lol!!

Thanks in advance

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, how bout just a starting point??? Guess ill take out the shock and come back to check on this

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Here is what we learned. While the truck is sitting on the ground, take 2 chains one on each side of the spring and chain them as tight as you can. Then jack the truck up pull the shock tower and shock completely off. Then remove the spring put spacer on top. Reinstall spring top first. Then install the shock and then the tower. Lower truck and tae off chains. Repeat on other side. Note: if you do not strap or chain the springs while the truck is still on th ground, it makes it almost impossible withhout spring compressors. Only took 1 install to figure that out. LOL

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help, Guess im the only one with a 2wd lift kit. Took about 30 min on each tires. no spring compressor... :peelout

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the kit installed. now the rear is about 3/4" lower. What now???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
since I have a lift I did it a little different. I needed to replace all my bushings and balljoints so I had to remove my control arms as well. basically I did one side at a time, lowering it on a 4' tall 6x6, unbolted the knuckle, and lifted the truck, everything came out fine.

but like I said, I was removing my control arms anyways, but I guess it could be done the same way, only unbolting the knuckle.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i did mine. took about an hour although i wish i would have strapped the springs, but with the lift it wasnt too bad, now im making a set of 1 in blocks to level out the rear. I like the raked look but when the trailer is on it looks a bit rediculous

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hmmn, strapping mine probably would have made it easier. I looked at all the threads on leveling kits and I never heard that suggestion. I just jacked my truck waaay up in the air to get it to work, I think I could have played a tune with my brake lines they were so tight...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
you didnt take the brakes off? thats gutsy mine deffinatley would have snapped
Nope, I unbolted the sway bar end links and jacked it the rest of the way, I had to use the stock jack between the frame and the axle as well. The brake lines were fine, I did end up pulling some vacuum line contraption on the bottom of the axle loose, but it just pushed back in, no big.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wish I knew about that whole strapping deal when I did my leveling kit on my dually. I used spring compressors but they are sure darn scary to use. But I always like hearing new ways of doing things!:popcorn: good job bud!!!:thumbsup :beer

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what did you use to make your blocks for the rear?? the 2wd is much easier than the
4wd. Three bolts and your done.

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
come on guys I really need some help with the rear blocks. This is driving me crazy. I know its only a 2wd but help a guy out

·
Registered
535 Posts
oh sorry buddy, for the rear block just get some 1x3 tubing or solid stock, cut to length and drill a hole in the center take the bolt out of the center of the spring and get a new one to go through it and the block ( any spring shop will be able to sell you one. thats what i did on my last truck but with 2x3 cus i wanted 2" lift hope it helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
my dually is also 2wd and i was thinking about doing the 2" lift so i can throw some bigger wheels and tires.. for the alcoas it comes with the 2" lift kit is this the same you are using?? i thought you only needed to do the front and it would level.. if you have to do the rears then it might look better going with 4" or better.. just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
513 Posts
The 3rd gen leafs have 2 bolts holding them together.

·
North Texas VP
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put a 2.5" kit on mine, now the rear is about 3/4" too low. and I hate the way it looks when I put my toy hauler on it. Love the way the front end looks now!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
My buddy lucked out when he did his leveling kit. He has air bags in the back, so he just put a couple of extra pounds in them, leveled everything out nicely. I think that's gonna be my approach.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts