Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little advice here from the guys that are familiar with weight ratings and capabilities.
My brother and his family are moving back up to northern BC from the north-west US and asked if I could haul a t/a deck trailer up for them. My truck is (as per signature below) an '02 2500 4x4 quad cab. The trailer is a 12K pound, but probably wouldn't be filled to capacity.

The main questions are
1) What can I legally tow for weight with this thing, and
2) What changes if any would I need to make on my insurance?

I'm not concerned about the truck being able to tow the weight since I have towed laden trailers with it before, I'm more concerned about what CVSE would say if everything's not in order, especially given that it's going to be a 20hr trip.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
744 Posts
In BC you are required to have a licence to tow over 10 000 lbs, I have endosment 51 for an RV, there is endosment #20 and class #3 (or better) for comercial. Its a pretty well kept secret in BC, I'm not sure if it is enforced as I've never been pulled over and asked to provide it. I'm sure it would come up in the event of an accident though. I don't think you need to change your insurance, just make sure you have liability.

I'm not sure if you would be over weight or not, best this is to look up your gross combined weight rating and roll everything on the scale when it is closed.

Hope that helps, I doubt you would draw attention from law enforcment unless it looks obviously overweight or dangerous.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
I'm pretty sure the stock receiver is only rated for 10,000 pounds which is the GVW of our trailer, but with the long shank on my hitch I'll be upgrading my receiver.

I don't think you'll need any special insurance for your truck, hopefully your brother has insurance on the trailer and it's contents though.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
The Insurance it self is'nt the problem, but your actual vehicle licence registration needs to be upgraded for the weight. Trailer doesn't have a gvw on its registration, all weight goes on truck registration. If your your trailer tires and axle ratings can carry the weight, and hitch is there: eg 10,000 lb ( i'm old cant do the Kg thing.) Make sure the pickup is licenced for the weight and scales will give let yopu through, never had my DL checked there, just weight.But I do have a class 3 so that isn't a problem for me anyway.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I checked the ratings in the book and the GCVWR is 20,000 lbs, with 13,050 of that being "maximum" trailer weight. I should be okay if I increase my GVW since it's only 3992 which isn't nearly enough.
I just had to insure my F550, but that needed an NSC# because it's over 5500kgs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts