Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Let the brand war begin(i need opinions)

840 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Stovetop535
Background
I bought a 2004.5 2500 diesel last summer with 54k miles, turns out it had been in the shop with a seized engine at some point before i bought it this did not show up on dodges records, or carfax. thus i have no engine warranty, my tranny has been broke and fixed, ac broke and fixed, and currently my engine has a great deal of blow-by.

SOOOO
i have 2 options:

Option 1
take my truck to a diesel shop get it fixed(sleeved, ringed, new injectors? idk)

Option 2
trade in the SOB and accept the loss as insurance from further repair costs. when i trade it in though i can't afford to get another diesel so i would be getting a half ton. now i know as well as you do that not a single person here can say that dodge makes the best half ton gas trucks when reliability is taken into account so Chevy or Ford, i would be getting a brand new(09-10) work truck/xl package 4.6v6 chevy 4.8v8 ford.

what do yall think is my best bet?
if option 1 does anyone have any idea what that costs?

if option 2 what are yalls opinions/experiences with each.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Wyoming Eastern President
3,063 Posts
option 1 for sure, I have a theory that when you get a truck that has been abused, take care of it and fix it and it will be grateful to you and be dependable, we all know our trucks do have personalities.....dont they.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
In the end, all of the trucks are garbage... I would say your money is best spent on fixing up the truck you have. Then at least you know what youve got....

Sounds like the previous owner did some serious abuse on that thing though!

· Registered
486 Posts
First, I am sorry to hear about all your troubles with your current rig. Really sucks. So, the question is do you repair your rig or, cut your losses and get a new 1/2 ton and start over. I guess you need to tell us more about the kind of work you do with your rig. Do you haul much? How about how far do you travel in your work truck? How much weight do you have in the truck most of the time? Just some things that let us know how you use your truck. If you are driving a lot but, not hauling much then I would suggest a new Chevy. Nothing rides like a Chevy. If you are needing to haul lots of weight or loading your rig down with heavy items then I would say fix what you have. After you fix the motor and what ever else is wrong you should get some sort of a guarentee with the new items in the truck. Nothing rides like a Chevy and, nothing hauls a load like a Cummins.

LT.

Reactions: DaGumDodge

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i do have a love for this truck even though it has given me nothing but trouble i have put less than 1000 miles on it, never been more than 200 miles before it was in the shop, i just want something i know will work when i turn the key, and will get me where i want to go.

any idea on what an engine rebuild costs?

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, I am sorry to hear about all your troubles with your current rig. Really sucks. So, the question is do you repair your rig or, cut your losses and get a new 1/2 ton and start over. I guess you need to tell us more about the kind of work you do with your rig. Do you haul much? How about how far do you travel in your work truck? How much weight do you have in the truck most of the time? Just some things that let us know how you use your truck. If you are driving a lot but, not hauling much then I would suggest a new Chevy. Nothing rides like a Chevy. If you are needing to haul lots of weight or loading your rig down with heavy items then I would say fix what you have. After you fix the motor and what ever else is wrong you should get some sort of a guarentee with the new items in the truck. Nothing rides like a Chevy and, nothing hauls a load like a Cummins.

LT.
if i am honest most of what i do is drive i go to school at Texas A&M now, and live in houston so i rack up the miles. the reason i bought a diesel in the first place was because i wanted reliability...:banghead: if i fix it up i bet it will be about 5k+ and about the same after trade in and TTL so its a tough call but i do know the dodge will keep breaking.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Its highly unlikely that it needs a completer overhaul, but as the worst case scenario your looking at a couple of grand EASILY for a rebuild (machining/parts/labor) and thats if you pull the engine yourself (save alot of labor $$)

All of that blowby could be a dropped valve guide...

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its highly unlikely that it needs a completer overhaul, but as the worst case scenario your looking at a couple of grand EASILY for a rebuild (machining/parts/labor) and thats if you pull the engine yourself (save alot of labor $$)

All of that blowby could be a dropped valve guide...
as mentioned previously i am currently going to school and i don't have time(nor place) to pull the engine myself, i need this done by a professional, lol

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Trade that sucker in. Get something w/ a warranty. And worry about the diesel life when you graduate.

· Registered
942 Posts
i dunno man do you really want a truck payment all the way through the rest of college? and when you get out? that's what your looking at if you went with option two granted idk what you owe on your current truck but it doesn't sound real practical to me.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
i say you should at least take the truck to a decent shop and have then engine properly diagnosed. Then go from there, if its only a 'minor' issue i would definitely say keep it. If its something major, its likely not something you are willing and can afford to fix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.