Cummins Diesel Forum banner

LED tail ligh replacement bulb

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  redneck2thamax 
#1 ·
I was thinking about just changing out my tail light bulbs to Leds but wasn't sure about it, I was wonderong if any one has done it if so did you have any problems? Which ones would you suggest going with?
Thanks

#3 ·
I've run them in my 61 Bel Air for a few years now. They work pretty good and no problems as of yet.

#4 ·
Look up retrosolutions here in the sponsor's section. I just changed all of my exterior bulbs (2 front turn signals, rear brake lights, and reverse bulbs) over to LED's. Since you have a 99 you'll need the 3157 bulb types. Each bulb also needs a resistor, except for the new CREE reverse Led's. I like them a lot, glad that I don't have to worry about the bulbs burning out anymore.

#7 ·
I did the light bulbs,then wound up just replacing the tail light assembly. If I were you I would just spend the bucks and buy the whole taillight. Just my $0.02

:flag1::flag1:

#8 ·
I was wwondering if any one had a wiring diagram on the how to install the resitors for a regular tail light when trying to install led bulbs? I plugged the led light bulbs in and they didn't turn on when I turned my parking lights on is that normal until I install the resistors

#13 ·
the resistor is specifically meant to make it so it doesn't blink fast like that. You sure that you put it on the right wire? I didn't get any instructions on mine and installed it on the tail/running light wire and it works fine. That was the colored wire that's not in the middle but on the edge.

#19 ·
Hey, wanted to bring this thread back to life for a few and ask a few questions.

Are there some LED bulbs that have both a high and low setting so that when the running lights are on and the brakes are applied the bulbs "get brighter" to indicate that I am slowing down?

How much are the resistors that are needed to slow down the blinking back to normal speed?

Lastly, what size bulbs are used for the reverse lights?

Thanks

#20 ·
i ordered mine from retrosolutions and they work great. the tail light ones work just as if there was a regular bulb, so it will get brighter when you hit the brakes or when the blinker is on. for the taillight bulbs they are the 3157 and for the reverse they are 3156 heres a link for the reverse lights
3156 3056 3157 3057 3457 4157 T20 5W CREE LED Reverse Wedge Bulbs - Retro-Solutions Store
i have the ones with the led on top and radial,
it was about $20 for a pair of relays from retrosolutions
hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.