Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel as though I'm kind of late to the party, when it came to upgrading my headlights on my 2008 Ram 3500, as I just recently installed Alpharex Nova series headlights. Now I'm not liking how dull & yellow my factory halogen fog lights appear in comparison. I would prefer to keep the factory bezels, and just switch to LED bulbs, as I prefer the glass lens over the plastic of most aftermarket replacements. Anybody have any experience with the GTR Lighting 9006 CSP mini bulbs in their factory fog light bezels? Were the bulbs "plug & play", or did you need to purchase the PWM Interface Module, to make them work properly?

Any guidance, or input, is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Mega_Ram, i'm with you on just R&R on the fog light bulb, and decided to use the Lifetime LED and worked out perfectly. Good Luck...

Reactions: Mega_Ram

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Most PNP LEDs put out too much glare and blind other drivers. As long as you don't have them on when traffic is around, it won't be a problem.

If you use fog lights for their designed purpose, i do not recommend putting LEDs in them. LEDs are too cool of a color to cut through the fog as well as a warmer color.

If you always run fog lights at night with your headlights, you're basically taking away from the performance of your headlights, unless you drive no faster then like 35 MPH.

I personally made my own fog lights with H1 projectors.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most PNP LEDs put out too much glare and blind other drivers.
I agree. If the bulb/reflector combo aren't designed to work together, then you end up throwing light everywhere, and blinding other drivers, rather than focusing it where you need it. That was the reason I never put HIDs, or LEDs, in my stock headlight bezels. With the GTR Lighting LEDs, they claim the light output pattern will, in most applications, mimic that of the halogen bulbs, due to the their precise LED chip placement.

If you use fog lights for their designed purpose, i do not recommend putting LEDs in them. LEDs are too cool of a color to cut through the fog as well as a warmer color.
We don't get much fog here in Las Vegas, but my fog lights are always on at night. When I bought my Ram, I swore Dodge called them driving lights.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Fog lights put out more foreground. Having that much more light directly in front of your vehicle makes your headlights further down the seem dimmer. It's brighter so people think it's better, but the brighter light is not where you need it unless you're driving at slower speeds. Like if you look through a house window during the day, it's easier to see inside if you put your face up to the glass and your hands on the side of your face to block out the sunlight. That's basically what's going on when you drive with fog lights on.

Reactions: Jimmy N. and tryNto

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Also that's why I believe fog lights turn off when you activate high beams.

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,733 Posts
True fog lights are yellow/amber in color, that color doesn't refract/reflect off the fog as the white light does. If they are white they are driving lights.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I used Hikari LED bulbs in all my applications of LED lighting for my truck, I really like them and they have a 2 or 3 year warranty service with the bulbs. For the fog lights, I kept the stock OEM housing, I did a 9006 bulb, and the bulbs are adjustable or "they can rotate so you can clock them vertically for the proper output and alignment, they are 110% ment to work for reflector housings" I have in both heads and fogs and not many people ever flash me or bright light me, and output is really great with zero darkspots, while maintaining the LED output and 6000k color

And for my truck anyways, I did NOT need the CANBUS resistors or decoders, specifically for the foglights anyways....headlights and everything else is a different story.

Hikari LED is on Amazon too, they have 3 different models with different outputs. But if you are interested shoot me a PM and I can get you a link.

Attachments

Reactions: Mega_Ram

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also that's why I believe fog lights turn off when you activate high beams.
Correct. If you're trying to see the road in foggy conditions, you want your lights mounted down low, so they don't just illuminate the visible moisture right in front of you, which is why you wouldn't use your high beams.

True fog lights are yellow/amber in color, that color doesn't refract/reflect off the fog as the white light does. If they are white they are driving lights.
Exactly! That's why I thought these were considered "driving lights". So, I decided to take a look at my Dodge brochure, and sure enough, Dodge calls them "fog lights".

·
Registered
240 Posts
Correct. If you're trying to see the road in foggy conditions, you want your lights mounted down low, so they don't just illuminate the visible moisture right in front of you, which is why you wouldn't use your high beams.

Exactly! That's why I thought these were considered "driving lights". So, I decided to take a look at my Dodge brochure, and sure enough, Dodge calls them "fog lights".
Fog lights don't need to be amber, they just need a beam pattern, relatively warmer color temperature, and mounted low to reduce glare in bad weather. The idea that fogs are amber, and white is aux driving is a bit of a myth.

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,733 Posts
I lived in the Central Valley in Ca for 12 years and there is a thing called Tule fog, sometimes so thick you can't see the front of your vehicle, any type of white light no matter how low still wouldn't help.
Had white ones from living in So Cal and they were not helpful, changed to yellow and a world of difference
There were times the only way to see where you were on the road was to look out the door window. More than once seen people drive with no lights because you could see further.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I lived in the Central Valley in Ca for 12 years and there is a thing called Tule fog, sometimes so thick you can't see the front of your vehicle, any type of white light no matter how low still wouldn't help.
Yep, I remember having to wait that out a few time, while trying to fly into Visalia & Fresno.

I went and ordered up some 9006 LED lights for my stock bezels. I will compare the beam patterns between the halogen bulbs and LEDs, and report back.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Yep, I remember having to wait that out a few time, while trying to fly into Visalia & Fresno.

I went and ordered up some 9006 LED lights for my stock bezels. I will compare the beam patterns between the halogen bulbs and LEDs, and report back.
Take some pictures. But adjust your camera settings so the pictures look the same or close to the way it looks in person. Otherwise the pictures will look brighter then they really are and it's harder to tell the beam pattern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts