Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what the warranty is on the leather seats in the Laramie pkg. ? My leather is cracking already (drivers seat) ... less than 2 yrs and 30K miles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My `97 had the cracked leather problem. They handled it for 3/36,000, then I had a local upholstry shop redo it with some heavier leather and never had the problem again. Less than $100, matched perfectly, and at 122,000 when I creamed that Hummer (his fault, but nobody came out a winner as they totalled both trucks and mine was paid for) the seat looked new.
My `06 is wearing in a spot or 2 from sliding in and out hitching a trailer. 38,000 now, I think I`ll take it back to the same shop when it gets bad enough.

·
Banned
393 Posts
he said it...the 36,000 bumper to bumper should cover it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dr.vinyl did mine just on that part sliding out. 75.00.best $$ spent on truck for piece of mind..

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I wish I could find a place like that here in Central Texas!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
google it. you might be surprised. or here's a hint. call your local used car dealership and ask them nicely where they get there seats done " cause I really like what you did to my buddies truck" or somthing like that..

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, I assumed it would be covered under the basic warranty but I was told they likely won't.
Well, I just found out today that they are sending me a replacement so all is good for the next 2 years i guess. If I still have the truck I will definitely go to the aftermarket after that. I am kinda susrprised at the "cheapness" of this expensive leather ... just another lesson learned. :beer

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have seen now from a truck with Factory Leather and now my truck has After Market leather the differances. The aftermarket is 100% better in every way. Thicker, more durable, does not get those "rub" marks.. i have 60k on the truck and the leather has been in since day 1 - and it still looks brand new. The old truck had cracks and "rub" spots and just looked wore out by 50k! The cost of leather wrap for the seats was only $800 from Katzskin (not sure on spelling) compaired to the few thousand through the dealer!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen now from a truck with Factory Leather and now my truck has After Market leather the differances. The aftermarket is 100% better in every way. Thicker, more durable, does not get those "rub" marks.. i have 60k on the truck and the leather has been in since day 1 - and it still looks brand new. The old truck had cracks and "rub" spots and just looked wore out by 50k! The cost of leather wrap for the seats was only $800 from Katzskin (not sure on spelling) compaired to the few thousand through the dealer!
Yep, I agree, it's pretty common knowledge that the aftermkt leather like Katzkins is much higher quality but the one thing that is disapponting usually is how loosely the leather fits. The factory leather fits absolutely perfectly and nearly every aftermkt install I've seen (inc. a bunch of pics on these forums) has been pretty loose and I don't like that at all. Why is this I wonder?
That said, Dodge has promised a much higher quality leather on the new '09 Rams starting this fall ... we'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts