Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 limited Mega cab. The leather covering the dashboard has started shrinking and separating from the dash underneath. I took it to my dealer as its still under warranty and they are trying to deny the claim saying that I must have used a “product” on it that caused it. This is totally unsat in any case. I’m upset but what are my options. I spent a lot on the truck and I would like Ram to do the right thing. I baby the truck. photos below.

I told them all I did was wipe the dash with a damp cloth per the instructions for the leather care. I’ve had two water leaks in the cab that they have fixed. My opinion is the water/moisture might have caused it or it’s just poor quality with black leather in a black truck that wasn’t fully cured or dried out when installed. It gets hot in Texas.

Window Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Car

Is there an escalation I can do if my dealer won’t do the right thing? I will go on the warpath if I have to and go full Nero! $80k truck should last longer than 2 years.

My last Ram was an 07 that I put 200k on in 14 years and still looked new when I sold it last spring.

Reactions: dcs_72

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
You can’t be the only one to have that happen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Call this number this Monday, next Monday and every Monday until they fix your issue.

(800) 992-1997

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ramcares. Try that. They move sloooooowwwww.
Ram doesn't care and they know that the typical owner only cares about pulling a heavy load up a hill. If you have a problem with anything else, you are out of luck and it doesn't matter if it's under warranty. Ram doesn't care and they know from history that the typical dodge/ram owner will accept it.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,685 Posts
once that's repaired, get a sheet of uv tint in the windshield and invest in a nice fitted sunscreen from coverking or similar.

·
Registered
485 Posts
ya that’s pretty terrible to have them deny a claim like that. and i 2nd the idea of ceramic windshield “tint” just to keep the UV rays out. i no it might have just been heat in this case but definitely doesn’t hurt to have it.

·
Registered
I know nothing.🙄
1,894 Posts
I’m guessing the leather wasn’t properly pre shrunk. That and their glue must have been trash on the assembly line that day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am happy to report that whatever "appeal" the dealer did to resubmit was approved. They said they are going to cover the dash. The part will take a month or two to come in but overall I am happy that they decided to make this right. I will update once they install the new part. Thanks for reply's. I will look in to getting some UV tint for the windshield. I have tint on the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hope you get fixed with no more problems. I live in socal where its hot. I tint all my front windshields with ceramic tint $200 plus to do but well worth it. Been tinting all my cars windshields for 10 + years. I have a black interior limited also but 2017.

·
Registered
65 Posts
once that's repaired, get a sheet of uv tint in the windshield and invest in a nice fitted sunscreen from coverking or similar.
And instead of their suggestions, use a quality leather conditioner to prevent heat and sun damage. I use leather honey, its the same stuff I use on my saddles, some upwards of 13 years old and still supple.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,239 Posts
I regularly treat my leather as others have suggested, but i also will put this up in the summer. Helps with interior climates, and keeps the dash protected. My only complaint is it's hard to find a good spot to store it anywhere in the truck that is easily accessed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions about Leather Honey and the covercraft. What are your thoughts on the differences between Lexol and Leather Honey. Pro's and cons, or if there is a another third option. I would like to keep all my leather looking good and prevent cracking and discoloration especially on the drivers seat. I already am retraining myself to use the grab handle so I don't wear out the seat bottom like you see on a lot of used trucks.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,239 Posts
a set of side steps will save your seat bottoms more then using the grab handle will

As to leather care, i've tried various products over the years, all with success, the key is to just keep everything in good shape and taken care of, i'm not brand loyal to any one or the other. Just clean and care for the leather, and you'll be alright

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Loki223. I have steps and they definitely help.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4.
26 Posts
Glad they decided to repair the dash. My father had a 2014 Chrysler 300C with a leather dash that did the same thing here in Los Angeles and the dealer replaced the whole dash without any questions. After that incident, he kept it conditioned with different leather care creams and he never had the problem again. I am no longer a fan of real leather dash boards anymore after seeing what happened to his original dash after just a couple of years. So definitely keep it moist with conditioner and you should be fine. I think the leather dries out and actually shrinks from the heat and no glue on earth could hold it at that point.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Big Horn w/6.7 CCSB, Granite Crystal Metallic
66 Posts
I regularly treat my leather as others have suggested, but i also will put this up in the summer. Helps with interior climates, and keeps the dash protected. My only complaint is it's hard to find a good spot to store it anywhere in the truck that is easily accessed

I own and use this exact one and really like it. Have these for all my vehicles. Agreed on storage, throw mine on the rear seat floor board.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts