Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
After reading this thread, I realized my truck had 40k on 6.5 qts of RP Syncromax. I was draining the fluid, which wasn't too bad at all, and came across this:

Lucky for me the Snap On guy was nearby an I was able to get the inverted torx bit. The part numbers and procedure were spot on! The only difference was my autozone didn't have the grommet, so I went with a vacuum line cap.

I poured in 7.5 qts of the Purple Drink and immediately noticed 5th was nearly silent and the DD had quieted down tremendously. Thanks again for the help!
Glad it worked for you. The vacuum cap is a good idea..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Standard transmission recommends Pennsoil Synchromesh or Amsoil MTF. Good the RP has worked well for you. Several replacement boots have been posted using universal CV boots which are heavier material. That should quiet things down in-cab alone.
are you sure about the amsoil MTF, that would explain why mine is a little noisy in low RPM's and above 5th gear with amsoil ATF...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
are you sure about the amsoil MTF, that would explain why mine is a little noisy in low RPM's and above 5th gear with amsoil ATF...
It has been proven time and time again that ATF is too thin. MB designed it to be used with something like Delvac. Dodge recommends the ATF solely for the purpose of cutting costs so they can run the same fluid in all their transmissions.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Carl48 on here owns several G-56 trucks and has had luck with Delvac 50 diluted with Amsoil 5-30 MTF.

I know firsthand of a member currently having good luck w/Amsoil MTF.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
20,000 ON THE CV BOOT FIX... Still bone dry down under.....:headbang:

20,000 on the Delvac. Still smooth and quiet....:headbang:

·
Wrenchin' in the USA!!
295 Posts
medium and up rung 80w???
why not use in g56?
tooo heavy/ thick fo synchros?

jwing..

Also I heard no mention of the gorilla juice as many guys on here run that.

-Ryan

·
Wrenchin' in the USA!!
295 Posts
Glad to hear it went well. You have a 2wd like me, and I think it took my bro-in-law and me about 2.5 hours from start to finish with no trans jack. We got lucky and had no hiccups like frozen or sheared bolts or anything. One thing like that can double your time. How are the liking the valair?Did you go with a ceramic or organic?
Just curious as to how you and another person were able to line everything up without the use of a transmission jack.
My trans jack has a badly leaking cylinder, so bad that it will not hold anything so I had to put my floor jack under the trans jack which greatly limited the amount of movement I had.
Did you guys just man handle it in there?

-Ryan

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
medium and up rung 80w???
why not use in g56?
tooo heavy/ thick fo synchros?

jwing..

Also I heard no mention of the gorilla juice as many guys on here run that.

-Ryan
That ^^^ language is not something that I am familiar with....:confused013:

Just curious as to how you and another person were able to line everything up without the use of a transmission jack.
My trans jack has a badly leaking cylinder, so bad that it will not hold anything so I had to put my floor jack under the trans jack which greatly limited the amount of movement I had.
Did you guys just man handle it in there?

-Ryan
Yup, just man handled it. I have put several g56's in. They are easy compared to an NV5600, but even those are POSSIBLE without a jack. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
a amsoil rep recommended to us FTF, but after looking it up it said GL1 I dont think that will work
I have been mis-guided my AMSOIL reps before as well. I would take what they say with a grain of salt. I needed some quality lube for my NV4500 in another truck. If you know anything about those transmissions, which I am sure you do, you know that they have yellow metal synchros that are VERY sensitive to certain ingredients in oils. Well, the rep I was on the phone with, told me in no UN-certain terms, that the oil he was sending me was EXACTLY what I needed, and that it was made for an NV4500. That was bull crap. When I got the stuff, it said "not for use in NV4500 equipped vehicles" right on the back of the bottle. :doh:

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I have been mis-guided my AMSOIL reps before as well. I would take what they say with a grain of salt. I needed some quality lube for my NV4500 in another truck. If you know anything about those transmissions, which I am sure you do, you know that they have yellow metal synchros that are VERY sensitive to certain ingredients in oils. Well, the rep I was on the phone with, told me in no UN-certain terms, that the oil he was sending me was EXACTLY what I needed, and that it was made for an NV4500. That was bull crap. When I got the stuff, it said "not for use in NV4500 equipped vehicles" right on the back of the bottle. :doh:
Are you running straight Delvac 50?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What could a guy add to the Delvac 50 to make sure things ran smoothly in -40° winters? I just bought this truck recently and have 2qt of 75w90 added to the stock ATF just to see, and while I decide on a clutch package, and that worked great until I got the 13" aftermarket shift arm now I have some serious noises to deal with. Going to try the CV boot route but I definitely need to lighten the fluid somehow come fall.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Delvac was tough to shift even in San Diego's temperate climate. I swapped out Amsoil 75-90 MTG years ago and it's slick. Other's have used the same weight with success with other brands. You can elevate the passenger side and add an extra qt. Amsoil's new squeeze bottles make it real handy. I think you'll be pleased. I have no idea why Mercedes specifies that weight in cold climates.

Regarding noise,if it's got an aftermarket non-dmf clutch in it,it can be noisy. Mine's nearly silent aside from putting through a parking lot in 2-3rd when I lug it. With ATF or even Pennsoil it sounded like it had rocks in it.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Huh, 35K miles in SoCal with Mobil Delvac 50 transmission fluid, never did I have an issue with shifting. Now the rest of the trans issues were running hot, noise with the SMF and DD clutch. If I hadn't of traded it in on my new truck, I would have replaced it with the NV5600. I hate the G56, some praise them, but I'm glad its gone. The Aisin is the trans I should have ordered with my 07 C&C.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Huh, 35K miles in SoCal with Mobil Delvac 50 transmission fluid, never did I have an issue with shifting. Now the rest of the trans issues were running hot, noise with the SMF and DD clutch. If I hadn't of traded it in on my new truck, I would have replaced it with the NV5600. I hate the G56, some praise them, but I'm glad its gone. The Aisin is the trans I should have ordered with my 07 C&C.
Had you installed MTG you would have felt a demonstrably easier shifting trans. Your results may vary.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts