Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Fire370 Thats HORRID man! I know valair is great stuff, but let me just say, I am thrilled with my SB DD and it is dang quiet. All dd clutches are gonna make a little noise, but mine is very very minimal. Like someone wouldn't even notice unless they where listening for it. I know that south-bend recently changed a bunch of springs and updated some stuff to make them quieter and I got lucky and got one of the newer updated one. Maybe valair hasn't taken that step yet?.....:confused013:

Mikeshauling: You keep referring to adjusting your pedal. Those hydros are non-adjustable. You know to adjust the clutch pedal if you have the updated hydros, all you need to do it pull the pin that attached the master cyl. to the pedal and spin the rod that pushes the master cyl. It will either tread in or out and adjust the position of the pedal. Otherwise, I don't think you can adjust anything. Only other thing I can hink of that would be making it engage sooner would be if you have low fluid or air in the hydros(in which case I have several sets you can have for free) or you forgot to tighten down your slave cyl. nuts and it is partly pushing it out of the bell housing. If it's none of those things, then it's probably just the nature of the beast.... Just my 2 cents. Hit me up if you need the hydros....

·
4,674 Posts
Ya, i am talking about adjusting the pedal. Its a little low now, not much but it is low..

I only drove it @ 3 miles home. I will drive it tomorrow.

I dont think i even need to remove the pin in the pedal, i thought i could loosen the backup nut and just spin the rod to lengthen or shorten the rod ?? I think ?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ya, i am talking about adjusting the pedal. Its a little low now, not much but it is low..

I only drove it @ 3 miles home. I will drive it tomorrow.

I dont think i even need to remove the pin in the pedal, i thought i could loosen the backup nut and just spin the rod to lengthen or shorten the rod ?? I think ?
Maybe... I know with the hydros I got with my SB I had to pull the pin. Hopefully that will fix you up. Hope you like your clutch! I would hate to spend that much money and not like what I got.

Out of curiosity, why are a lot of you guys choosing organic over ceramic with your replacements? Doesn't ceramic last a lot longer and is a lot stronger? I know it is a little big grabby, but still very comfortable for a daily driver... Just wondering.......

·
4,674 Posts
Organic is SUPPOSED to be a towing clutch....I tow heavy and about everyday so thats what i was told to get from Valair..

Ceremic would have worked too but like you said, its grabby..

I back up ALOT when towing a big heavy trailer. The jumping and grabbing would not work for me....

I have seen several guys compliment these Valair DD organic and their towing behavior !!

If the truck was my daily driver ONLY, i would have went ceremic. This is my work truck, so i wanted a clutch that would work while towing and backing up alot,,,,

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Gotcha. Thanks makes sense. I can see how it would be a pain if you had a heavy trailer ad wanted to feather it a little bit but couldn't.

·
4,674 Posts
Yep,, i haul alot of oversize fiberglass swimming pools to homes and have to back in and around houses and do alot of clutch work,,, i think a ceremic clutch would buck and jump too much because it wont allow any slip like the organic is supposed to... I dont know yet but we will see !! I hope it works out for me !

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
lol.... I was wondering there! I was like "hmm..... Thats good info he's saying, but looks like he's quoting me....to me......in my thread..... lol...
How's the "cold" shifting. I had lousy luck w/Gorilla Juice as cold shifting felt like I was going to break off the shifter itself. How does the D50 oil compare to ATF? I'm back with Pennsoil Synchromesh but the neutral/pedal out noise disturbs me. I've got a single disc. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
How's the "cold" shifting. I had lousy luck w/Gorilla Juice as cold shifting felt like I was going to break off the shifter itself. How does the D50 oil compare to ATF? I'm back with Pennsoil Synchromesh but the neutral/pedal out noise disturbs me. I've got a single disc. Thanks.
I don't know where you are located, but where I am, high teens is about the lowest you will see it. I hauled a 8k lb load early this morning and it was about 25*. Thats actually the coldest it has been since I put the D50 in there, but it shifted great. Limiting factor on my shifting is my dual disc slows it down just a hair, but I can still row them pretty good despite the clutch, and the lube has given me no reason to think it might get hard to shift when cold. I've been thrilled with it. Why are you having neutral noise with clutch out? If your having noise with a single disc, maybe your in-put bearing is going going gone......

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
I had a dab w/Pennsoil Synchromesh but after one day of GJ my shop drained it and found lots of brass particles and brass dust in the GJ stuff. After sitting overnight in only 45* weather,the tranny was darn near impossible to shift(with GJ). Replaced with Pennsoil and all is well except for more noise.

I spoke to Mike(I believe) at Lazersmith who was a bit mystified at my symptoms as far as the shifting goes. Before the GJ,I had minimal gearlash idling through parking lots and a little bogging it in fourth. Tranny only has 37K and has had 4-5 fluid changes w/ATF+4 and then Pennsoil Synchromesh 8K ago. The 8K old Pennsoil fluid was clear and metal free.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow, yeah, I have had no problems like that. Still doesn't explain you neutral noise though. Do you have your stock dual mass clutch or is it a solid flywheel aftermarket?

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Wow, yeah, I have had no problems like that. Still doesn't explain you neutral noise though. Do you have your stock dual mass clutch or is it a solid flywheel aftermarket?
Solid aftermarket single disc. I'll get it checked out on Monday. I'm hearing cha-ching. This tranny's been babied as far as maintenance goes. I have carried an 1800# popup around 95% of the time,but I know when to downshift etc. Smarty's been on since new but only on sw#1 and I only use it for the lower rpm fueling. Never been lugged. Never towed.:banghead:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dang, that sucks man. Might just be the clutch though. Those g56's are NOISY without the dual mass in them. The aluminum housing conducts the noise very well and the aluminum is not like the cast iron 5600's. It shrinks and expands a lot more with the heat and changes tolerances. Some are quiet when cold and loud when hot, and some are loud when cold and quiet when hot. Dodge put that crappy clutch in there to "enhance" driving experience and dampen noise. Hopefully it's just your clutch carrying through normal noises.....

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Yeah,after dumping $4500 into my 47re on my '98.5,I went with the manual this time only to have Daimler supply the G-56 for us. I'll bring it by the shop Monday morning. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well the g56 is an awesome trans and can take some serious abuse. You are doing the right thing getting it checked out to make sure it's not imploding though. Mines got 153k on it and I tow frequently and have been known to do a boosted 3rd gear launch every now and then, and it still shifts like a new one and the fluid comes out spotless when I change it........phew! Sorry for the run-on sentence.

·
3 footin' through life
12,334 Posts
Subbing in for this!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
any ideas for that black plastic vent cap thingy on the top right corner??? mines broken and wont stay in place any longer. was thinking of just plugging it, but dont know if it should be or not. :confused013:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
any ideas for that black plastic vent cap thingy on the top right corner??? mines broken and wont stay in place any longer. was thinking of just plugging it, but dont know if it should be or not. :confused013:
I wouldn't...... The trans needs to vent off somehow. I usually get a small pc. of hose and clamp a small weedeater style fuel filter on the end to keep debris from getting in.....

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
thats a pretty good idea...never thought about a filter. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
After reading this thread, I realized my truck had 40k on 6.5 qts of RP Syncromax. I was draining the fluid, which wasn't too bad at all, and came across this:

Lucky for me the Snap On guy was nearby an I was able to get the inverted torx bit. The part numbers and procedure were spot on! The only difference was my autozone didn't have the grommet, so I went with a vacuum line cap.

I poured in 7.5 qts of the Purple Drink and immediately noticed 5th was nearly silent and the DD had quieted down tremendously. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Standard transmission recommends Pennsoil Synchromesh or Amsoil MTF. Good the RP has worked well for you. Several replacement boots have been posted using universal CV boots which are heavier material. That should quiet things down in-cab alone.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts