Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have been annoyed ever since I purchased my truck that there has always been a moist layer of ATF on the underside of my G56 and occasionally a drip or two. I couldn't locate the leak until I found out that it was the cheesy red rubber boot on the shift tower. For those who don't know, there are 3 boots on a G56. The leather top boot, a sound deadening middle boot, and finally the red one that keeps the good stuff in and the bad stuff out(the troublesome one:banghead:).

Dealer wanted $105 bucks for the thing. This boot is NOTORIOUS for going out, and a new one never lasts longer then about 30k miles. You can see what mine looked like in the pics below. A few other folks on other forums have thrown around a few possible part numbers for potential candidate boots, but to my knowledge, no one has come up with a very good fit..........till now.

I purchased Dorman part #614-002. It is a universal type CV boot. It has three different layers it can be cut down to and I cut it down to it's smallest size. It fit very snug and sealed great on the shift tower. Was a little sloppy around the shifter though. So I bought Dorman part # 42313 PCV valve grommet and spread the top of the boot around that. It fit very snug. I zip tied the top and used a hose clamp for the bottom. Perfect fit, WAY more durable the oem, and looked pretty good too!:party018:

That took care of my leak. My other prob was that ever since I installed my Dual Disc Clutch, the trans would groan and you could hear a lot of gear roll-over especially in 5th gear. Well I am sure you all have seen the posts lately about how Mercedes(the manufacturer of the G56) recommends Mobil Delvac 50 Part # 98KH10. You can get it at ZORO tools for $85 shipped after using one of many available promos. While I had the boot off the top of the trans, I drained the cheesy ATF out of it and poured in 2 gallons of Delvac. Dodge calls for 6.2 quarts, but I have known MANY people who have had good results over filling them by a quart or two so I polished off the 2, 1 gallon jugs I purchased.

Now, there is NO leaking, and NO trans noise whatsoever from any gear! Silent as a GHOST!! If you are sick of hearing your G56 groan, this is the stuff to roll with!

Anyway, sorry for the long post..... Hopefully this will save ya'll some money, some ear-aches, some spots on your driveway, and maybe a trans!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I did that trick with one I had Layin around for my 4-wheeler. Mine still leaks though one of the 4 bolts stripped out on me so the shifter doesn't get a tight seal and never got around to puttin sealant on it

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I pulled my tower out while I was in there and re-rtv'd it. I HATE leaks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Me to but it just doesn't cross my mind when I have it all tore apart and then I'll crawl under and see it and cuss myself for not doin it

·
Registered
686 Posts
I still haven't gotten around to ordering my fluid. How does she shift?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, it's like a new trans. I would have done it over again in a heartbeat. Plus, there is definite peace of mind that comes with filling it up with what you know the designer wanted it filled with.

·
4,674 Posts
My tower has fluid all around the bottom and a little bit close to the red boot....I looked really good, but couldnt see a rip or tear. I am pulling it out tomorrow to install my Valair DD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FINALLY !!!!!

I will get a better look at the boot then.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll lay you money it has a split in it somewhere. Keep us posted on what you find. I just did my DD clutch a month or so ago, and you are probably smarter then me, but before you get yourself in an awkward position like it did, It is WELL worth it to just remove the shift tower before trying to pull the trans. Makes it SO much easier!

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Well, I have been annoyed ever since I purchased my truck that there has always been a moist layer of ATF on the underside of my G56 and occasionally a drip or two. I couldn't locate the leak until I found out that it was the cheesy red rubber boot on the shift tower. For those who don't know, there are 3 boots on a G56. The leather top boot, a sound deadening middle boot, and finally the red one that keeps the good stuff in and the bad stuff out(the troublesome one:banghead:).

Dealer wanted $105 bucks for the thing. This boot is NOTORIOUS for going out, and a new one never lasts longer then about 30k miles. You can see what mine looked like in the pics below. A few other folks on other forums have thrown around a few possible part numbers for potential candidate boots, but to my knowledge, no one has come up with a very good fit..........till now.

I purchased Dorman part #614-002. It is a universal type CV boot. It has three different layers it can be cut down to and I cut it down to it's smallest size. It fit very snug and sealed great on the shift tower. Was a little sloppy around the shifter though. So I bought Dorman part # 42313 PCV valve grommet and spread the top of the boot around that. It fit very snug. I zip tied the top and used a hose clamp for the bottom. Perfect fit, WAY more durable the oem, and looked pretty good too!:party018:

That took care of my leak. My other prob was that ever since I installed my Dual Disc Clutch, the trans would groan and you could hear a lot of gear roll-over especially in 5th gear. Well I am sure you all have seen the posts lately about how Mercedes(the manufacturer of the G56) recommends Mobil Delvac 50 Part # 98KH10. You can get it at ZORO tools for $85 shipped after using one of many available promos. While I had the boot off the top of the trans, I drained the cheesy ATF out of it and poured in 2 gallons of Delvac. Dodge calls for 6.2 quarts, but I have known MANY people who have had good results over filling them by a quart or two so I polished off the 2, 1 gallon jugs I purchased.

Now, there is NO leaking, and NO trans noise whatsoever from any gear! Silent as a GHOST!! If you are sick of hearing your G56 groan, this is the stuff to roll with!

Anyway, sorry for the long post..... Hopefully this will save ya'll some money, some ear-aches, some spots on your driveway, and maybe a trans!
Where did you source the parts from?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased them at my local auto parts supply. ABC auto. I'm pretty sure autozone or anywhere else like that would probably have them. The Delvac of course, I had to order.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The oem orange silicone boots are VERY thin and prone to cracking and leaking...

Instead of replacing it with the expensive oem boot again, do yourself a favor and buy the Dorman #614-002 universal fit , CV joint boot.
It is also silicone and MUCH thicker. You'll have to cut the bottom up 1 or 2 steps, and then it is a perfect fit on the tower base. Use a little black silicone seal at the base and then a couple of zip ties at the base and also one ath the top of the boot on the shifter. Mine has not leaked since I replaced it with my clutch last year and I expect it will last the life of the truck. (the boot, not the clutch.)
You can probably get the Dorman at your local NAPA or Autozone, but here is a link to it at Amazon--

Amazon.com: Dorman 614-002 HELP! Universal Fit Silicone CV Boot Kit: Automotive

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:confused013:Umm.... Isn't that what I just posted? Maybe I am missing something though.....

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
:confused013:Umm.... Isn't that what I just posted? Maybe I am missing something though.....
My bad...was posting on same subject, same forum, different thread and while cruising between windows, posted same info on BOTH threads!!
In any case, maybe the Amazon link will help someone....

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol.... I was wondering there! I was like "hmm..... Thats good info he's saying, but looks like he's quoting me....to me......in my thread..... lol...

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
It's all good! Thanks to both of you.:thumbsup:

·
4,674 Posts
I did pull the shift tower, it would have been tight with it still on there..

I looked all over the boot, there wasnt any rips or tears that i could see.

I used my hands and really stretched it out too while looking for one...Im surprised i didnt tear or rip it while doing this,,,,,i didnt , so i think i got lucky..

Valair DD went in really nice,,,it lined right up and slid right together too....

I need to adjust the pedal some though, Im about an inch off the floor when it starts to grab..

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad to hear it went well. You have a 2wd like me, and I think it took my bro-in-law and me about 2.5 hours from start to finish with no trans jack. We got lucky and had no hiccups like frozen or sheared bolts or anything. One thing like that can double your time. How are the liking the valair?Did you go with a ceramic or organic?

·
4,674 Posts
Organic DD havent driven it enough to tell anything .....
It is NOT loud at all really.. Its louder than stock was but i was expecting alot more noise..

I will have to get my pedal adjusted tomorrow before i can really tell what im dealing with here...

We took @ 5 hours but we went to get lunch and then went back to the store to get some more drinks,,,,,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Organic DD havent driven it enough to tell anything .....
It is NOT loud at all really.. Its louder than stock was but i was expecting alot more noise..

I will have to get my pedal adjusted tomorrow before i can really tell what im dealing with here...

We took @ 5 hours but we went to get lunch and then went back to the store to get some more drinks,,,,,
I'm gonna be very interested in what you think after you drive it awhile especially after it gets good and warmed up. I sent Heath @ Valair an email today with a sound clip to see what his thoughts are This clutch has 1500 miles on it now and getting noisier as time goes on. It doesn't make any noise in the morning when you start it up. I do really like the manners of this set up but if this is normal, it's coming right back out and I'm going to try something else.

Here's the vid link I sent him. Sounds like a jackhammer on the outside.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/fire370/c20daa65.mp4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Awesome post man!!! my 5th gear has groaned since day one and only had 3 miles on it!!! i will be doing this to mine

1 - 20 of 56 Posts