Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys ive been putting the leak off but now its undrivale. it leaks way to bad to drive because if i go on a long drive ill leak it empty. ill post some pictures in a second. but anyways can you guys guess whatsa wrong? could something of broke or is it commin for something down there to come loose? or whats up i need some ideas because i need to fix it so i can drive. please help guys. i think the leak is comming from the top of the power steering box? but could be wrong heres the pictures.

· Diesel-less
4,807 Posts
I don't see the pictures

· Diesel-less
4,807 Posts
Check all your hose clamps, I had a problem similar to that except it wasn't that bad. If all the clamps are good and tight, then drain the fluid and check the hoses on the inside for rot.

· Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
grub screw and jam nut?????? what are these and where lol. your did this 4 no reason> i havnt touched anything neer the power steering box and the truck only has 20k miles on it. so where is this nit that i should tighten?

· Registered
214 Posts
Looks like my garage floor; however, mine is not as serious. I do not have a fix but am certainly interested to know the difference between a grub nut and jamb nut.

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
Like they said, check all the hoses and then the grub screw and nut. Clean everything down with brake parts cleaner. Then start the truck up and have someone rock the steering back and forth. That should narrow down the source of the leak.

Now for a story...

I was looking at a 1997 3500 4x4 quad cab before I picked up my 99. I was speaking to the owner when he told me about him having to replace the power steering system. He had a leak like you, but he thought he'd throw a bottle of radiator stop leak in the system to seal it up. Well it sealed it up alright, the pump that is!

I told him thanks for his honesty, but I wasn't interested in the truck after that. Yikes.

· Registered
16 Posts
grub screw and jam nut?????? what are these and where lol. your did this 4 no reason> i havnt touched anything neer the power steering box and the truck only has 20k miles on it. so where is this nit that i should tighten?
Looks like my garage floor; however, mine is not as serious. I do not have a fix but am certainly interested to know the difference between a grub nut and jamb nut.
The grub screw(set screw) on top of steering box, it is locked by the jam nut. The set screw is there to set up the back lash in the steering box. it doesn't tighten against anything, just screws in box and is locked in place by the jamb nut.

My truck has 30,000 on it.....that was the problem with mine. I found the leak and fixed it myself. from your pictures, it looks to be leaking exactly from the same place.

I did it myself to avoid the hassle of the warranty....lifted/ 37" tires

· Registered
214 Posts
Not trying to steal Tatkins85 post - but I also have a leaking CP3 pump. All in all I have three designated spots on the garage floor - oil drip, PS fluid, and diesel fuel. Maybe I should put a pan underneath the truck, strain it through a filter and recycle it all back in my fuel tank. Question left unanswered - grub nut is located on the hose located on the bottom of the pump housing?

Patracy - I assume the owner of the seized power steering pump did not have brakes either.

· Registered
16 Posts
Not trying to steal Tatkins85 post - but I also have a leaking CP3 pump. All in all I have three designated spots on the garage floor - oil drip, PS fluid, and diesel fuel. Maybe I should put a pan underneath the truck, strain it through a filter and recycle it all back in my fuel tank. Question left unanswered - grub nut is located on the hose located on the bottom of the pump housing?

Patracy - I assume the owner of the seized power steering pump did not have brakes either.
No the nut is on the top of the power steering box, in the center of the alloy plate.

in the second picture you posted, it is on the box directly under the front edge of the power steering pulley

· Registered
214 Posts
Hopefully our PS leaks go away with the tightening of the jamb nut.

· Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool. any other things i should try while im under the hood tommarow morning?

· Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i tightend that bolt. drove it a little added some leak fix power steering fluid. and it hasnt leaked sence but i also havnt drove it much but for the most part i think its fixed. thanks guys.

· Registered
16 Posts
Let me know after you have driven it more. I'm glad I could help. Mine was leaking pretty bad, so after I tighten the jam nut, it was pretty evident that I stopped the leak. Not leaked any in the past month, still dry on top of box.

Frank

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
Did you clean off the truck as well? Trust me, it's WAY easier to spray the steering down with parts cleaner. Start the truck and have someone rack it back and forth. You'll be able to pinpoint a leak that way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.