Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a problem today. I noticed some fuel dripping from the front of my truck and upon further inspection, saw it was coming from the CP3.

I looked up some posts on here and read about some cracking when its cold outside (it was 60 degrees today) and has been relatively warm all week. Plus, its something that just started today.

Anyways, I have an Air Dog that was installed a week or so ago and noticed some fuel coming form around the line going to the CP3. I couldn't physically see it, I just wrapped a paper towel around it and started the truck. Shut the truck off, and noticed some fuel on it. HOWEVER, there was still fuel dripping from below. So I'm not sure if the leak is from the aftermarket fuel line or the fitting on the back of the CP3 (or the CP3 itself).

It was getting dark so I figured I'd look at it more in the morning. I'm hoping a slight turn of the brass fitting on the back of the CP3 will tighten it up - and all will be good.

But in case its not, I doubt the dealership would replace my CP3, considering the mods I have.

So the question becomes - what's an economical alternative to the stock CP3? K2 was kind enough to give me a price on the Industrial Injection Stage I - and I'm wondering if they are all in that price range.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
They have a known problem with the cp3 leaking...they are told per chrysler to only replace it if it is dripping on the ground...if it is just seeping they will not touch it. Keven would be a great guy to help you out....or you could get a hold of John at Holland Court and he can set you up as well

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have a known problem with the cp3 leaking...they are told per chrysler to only replace it if it is dripping on the ground...if it is just seeping they will not touch it. Keven would be a great guy to help you out....or you could get a hold of John at Holland Court and he can set you up as well
It's leaking on the ground - not much, but a little.

I've had Holland Court install most of my stuff - and I'm heading there tomorrow for them to check out the fuel line connection.

But I was trying to get an idea on upgrading the CP3 - if that is what it comes to.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,142 Posts
My CP3 was leaking last year. My problem was I just needed to turn the feed line into my CP3 from my FASS an 1/8th turn more. I hope you get it figured.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My buddy has an 08 like mine and the dealer just replaced his cause it was leaking also.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Nick at Holland Court took a look at it today - and the CP3 itself is leaking from somewhere on the backside (near one of the bolts).

I'm taking it in tomorrow to see if I can get it fixed under warranty.

If not, an Industrial Injection CP3 is going in.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Mine is an 08 and it was doing the same thing. Had it replaced under warranty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, three dealers in town wouldn't touch it because of the AirDog system on my truck. According to them, that makes the CP3 perform different than stock. A CP3 can only flow so much - until you put a different one on there. I didn't argue with them because after doing some research, I'm not that confident in the stock CP3 anyway. Its time to upgrade.

Bottom line is, I ordered the Industrial Injection Stage I CP3. They have a 1 year warranty and it doesn't matter what is done to my truck.

On a sidenote, in talking to the service managers at these dealers, a leaking CP3 is fairly common on these trucks. Colorado is weird with its weather patterns of hot and cold, so that may have something to do with it.

According to one of them, the problems they see are a result of the steel/aluminum construction of the CP3 itself. Temperature variances cause the metal to distort - even slightly - and then it leaks.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Good luck! Let us know how you like the new pump!!:headbang:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck! Let us know how you like the new pump!!:headbang:
Will do. It should be going in next Tuesday or Wednesday.

I really would have liked the Stage II pump - but couldn't justify the extra $600. I don't plan on adding any more power.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Will do. It should be going in next Tuesday or Wednesday.

I really would have liked the Stage II pump - but couldn't justify the extra $600. I don't plan on adding any more power.
Thats good you upgraded the cp3. I bought a stock pump when mine went bad :buttkick: So now I wished I upgraded mine. I bought one from o-f-i.com its was pretty cheap. Well since you have a upgraded CP3 you should get some injector upgrades. Let us know how the cp3 treats you. I would like to see if their is a big difference from stock. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats good you upgraded the cp3. I bought a stock pump when mine went bad :buttkick: So now I wished I upgraded mine. I bought one from o-f-i.com its was pretty cheap. Well since you have a upgraded CP3 you should get some injector upgrades. Let us know how the cp3 treats you. I would like to see if their is a big difference from stock. :thumbsup:
I will definitely report back on my impressions once its installed.

If the dealer would have replaced it, I would've been happy. I wanted to spend my money on some other things. But, all I kept thinking was - "I know these CP3's have issues, and if I have to buy another stock one, I've already equaled the price of this upgraded one."

I'd love to do some injectors, but I'm worried about the transmission. It's fine right now, but the more power I put into it, the quicker the countdown becomes till I grenade it lol.

Hopefully we get some transmission solutions available soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you have a mp8 on your truck? I had one pump go out on a 2007 cab chassis and then on my 2008 pickup. The only common denominator I could come up with is the mp-8 was on both trucks. Almost everyone I have spoke to that has had this happen has a mp-8.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an Extreme Power Puck.

Most of the posts I read about the leaking CP3 came from people with stock trucks. Maybe a pressure box makes the failure happen quicker - I don't know.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yea, just a thought. The other thing is that it always happens after a sudden cold snap..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts