Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about 2 weeks ago i had to put a transmision transfer case seal in the truck, well that lasted all of about a week and a half, already im puddling on the ground again.. anyone had this problem? how do i fix it for good? also truck has a dec of 02 build date if that makes any diff.. thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
what seal did you replace? Sometimes its a good idea to install a speedi sleeve when you replace a seal if the vehicle has higher milage.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
:ditto: if there were any marks on the sealing land of the yoke a speedi sleeve is the best way to go. I did a sleeve on a rear wheel seal that had a badly damaged sealing surface. and it sealed up like new when done.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is a speedi sleeve? ive never heard of that before? were do i get on and how much are they... sorry bout all the questions just tired of the dang thing leaking. will i have to replace the seal again when i seperate the two? and it is the seal that meets the transmission output shaft and transfer case.. truck has 203,000 miles on it..

·
Registered
40 Posts
speedy sleeve = thin tube placed over shaft when there is a groove worn in the shaft from the lip seal should be get them at a local machine shop thay are very thin but must be very hard metal as they will last a long time good luck

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay cool thanks bud, do i need to replace the seal that i just put on it?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You can get speedi sleeves at napa, and they have them for specific applications. Lets for this example say that your yoke to the rear diff is leaking. After removing the driveline, removing the yoke nut, and removing the yoke. You would remove the old seal and then install the new seal. Where the seal would ride on the yoke surface you would install the speedi sleeve with the included installer. Store Locator | NAPA Online

the seal is on the right and the installer on the left. Then you would install the yoke as normal.

Reactions: 03 3500

·
Registered
843 Posts
another thing to check while you have it apart is make sure your bearings are good. Ive had buddies (as well as my self in past) who let a bad u-joint (or other vibration) go left alone to long and it wore the bearing out or "egged" the output

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
For my example above, i would buy a yoke instead of the speedi sleeve as the yoke is $10 more than the speedi sleeve. I've used these repair sleeve in the T-case of my Jeep and on my buddies as well as customers with zero problems.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you think the shaft on the trans is egged? i had a bad carrier bearing that went for awhile before i fixed it.. and i did check the bearings the first time and eveything seemed good.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
do you think the shaft on the trans is egged? i had a bad carrier bearing that went for awhile before i fixed it.. and i did check the bearings the first time and eveything seemed good.
Is it a slip yoke where it is leaking? The only ones I've ever seen damaged by out of balance driveshafts have been slip yokes. Usually bolted on yokes have the U-joints get hammered out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no its were the transmission and transfer case meet up.. its that seal in between the two of them.. no the transfer case bolts straight to the trans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts