Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is leaking a lot. It is leaking motor oil. The leak is coming from the drivers side of the truck. I can't quite see where it is coming from but it is somewhere above the oil pan. It is a 1999 Dodge Cummins 24 valve. I remember reading somewhere that it was a common problem for the vacuum pump to leak and I am beginning to think that may be my problem. also, When I have the brakes on, the truck is almost impossible to steer if it isn't moving. I was just thinking this might be part of the problem.

Is there any way to beter diagnose from wear the leak is coming from? It has to start at 1 spot but it is trickling down everywhere and I can't fintd a trail to trace it.

Thanks for any help,

John

·
Registered
680 Posts
thats just how the brakes are on these trucks, i know it can be a pain sometimes but i dont notice that often. It could just be your breather tube up front leaking down and gettin blown back, pressure wash you motor then start it an let it run for a while, maybe take it on a drive and see if you see anything, if not its probably just the crank case vent tube.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh

thats just how the brakes are on these trucks, i know it can be a pain sometimes but i dont notice that often. It could just be your breather tube up front leaking down and gettin blown back, pressure wash you motor then start it an let it run for a while, maybe take it on a drive and see if you see anything, if not its probably just the crank case vent tube.
I don't have a pressure washer.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
The vacuum pump seal is a likely candidate. If that is the case, it will only leak under pressure. When stopped, you should see a drop of oil hanging on the shaft between the vacuum pump and the power steering pump.

There is also a cover behind the injection pump that has a gasket on it that can leak. In this case, the oil will be running down the drivers side of the engine block toward the front of the engine.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm

The vacuum pump seal is a likely candidate. If that is the case, it will only leak under pressure. When stopped, you should see a drop of oil hanging on the shaft between the vacuum pump and the power steering pump.

There is also a cover behind the injection pump that has a gasket on it that can leak. In this case, the oil will be running down the drivers side of the engine block toward the front of the engine.
can you explain how I can look and see where the vacuum pump is? because I don't even know where it is on the truck. Do I look from the top of the engine or the bottom of the engine?

Are there any pictures on here of what both the leaks look like?

Once again, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Vac pump is right in front of the PS Pump and is bolted to the back of the timing housing. If you dont have a pressure washer, try the local spray car wash. A little Castrol Super Clean goes a long way. A good garden hose will get an engine clean with that stuff. Watch the vent hose that comes off the front of the timing cover as it will burp oil. Later engines had a catch bottle that would fill up and spill over if you didn't empty it with each oil change. In winter if they fill with water and freeze, you will pop gaskets because the motor cant breathe.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Here's a pic. Drivers side, lower, toward the front. The vacuum pump is gear driven and the shaft exits the rear of the vacuum pump and drives the power steering pump. The power steering pump is circled in red..

You can get a rebuilt pump or rebuild kit here..

DODGE DIESEL VACUUM PUMP REPAIRING /TRANSMISSIONS REPAIR

This kit corrects the design flaw in the OEM seals...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts