Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 2wd 24v
Been keeping my truck in the garage lately to work on some other issues I walked in the garage yesterday and noticed a lot of fluid under the truck so I crawled under it to see where it was coming from. Looks to be from the inspection plate so I cleaned the floor and tightened the inspection plate because I thought maybe the bolts could’ve rattled a little loose. Wiped down the cover with a rag and left it alone well the next morning woke up to it still leaking (keep in mind I haven’t drove my truck in a while or filled up the transmission with fluid.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How about putting some info about your truck in your signature or at least mention info in your post. Are you certain leak is trans fluid? I am a certified dummy when it comes to automatic transmissions but my vacuum pump began leaking suddenly once upon a time and the fluid drooled toward the manual trans before it dripped down. Took me a little bit to trace it down once I made the effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it’s a auto I’m new to the forums I’ll figure the signature part out

·
Registered
19,693 Posts
The inspection plate does not hold fluid so tight or loose bolts mean nothing.
The fornt seal is what would leak. if actually leaking from there.
First make sure it is trani fluid.
The pull the cover and fire it up and look for fluid running down the front of the trani behind TC. If it stays dry in there you leak is elsewhere as is t is usually.
Common leaks
Hoses and lines to cooler and exchanger.
Seal at top of shift shaft opening.
Fill tube or spill filling.
Pan gasket,
Other seals.
Transfer case.

Leaks from front of truck in lines or engine will spread all over all the way to the fuel tank

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pull the cover and fire it up and look for fluid running down the front of the trani behind TC. If it stays dry in there you leak is elsewhere as is t is usually.
Common leaks
Pan gasket,
Other seals.
Transfer case.

Leaks from front of truck in lines or engine will spread all over all the way to the fuel tank
F*** me lol well imma get it on a lift monday

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Common leaks
Pan gasket,
Other seals.
Transfer case.

looks like the shift shaft seal you got a part #

·
Registered
19,693 Posts
Yes there is a seal . it can be replaced fairly easily with some skill from outside. Seal available at stores "shift shaft seal"
1, Suck out whatever fluid you can through the fill tube.
2, remove the linkage from the shift shaft.
3, place mirror above so you can see shaft and seal
4, get thin pry hook or grind one out a flat screwdriver.
5, Slide hook in between seal rubber and shaft without gouging shaft.
6, pry down and remove seal. It will pop right out.
7, lube and install new seal over shaft slide down and start straight.
8, set deep-well socket or other pipe o tube over it and tap or pry straight down to flush with housing. I think I used the side of a hammer. I may have even tapped directly on the seal. It is not too hard to get to go in.
9, Re-install linkage and refill. all done.

Here is several PN's.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1999,ram+2500+pickup,5.9l+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1377569,transmission-automatic,shift+shaft+seal,8648

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes there is a seal . it can be replaced fairly easily with some skill from outside. Seal available at stores "shift shaft seal"
1, Suck out whatever fluid you can through the fill tube.
2, remove the linkage from the shift shaft.
3, place mirror above so you can see shaft and seal
4, get thin pry hook or grind one out a flat screwdriver.
5, Slide hook in between seal rubber and shaft without gouging shaft.
6, pry down and remove seal. It will pop right out.
7, lube and install new seal over shaft slide down and start straight.
8, set deep-well socket or other pipe o tube over it and tap or pry straight down to flush with housing. I think I used the side of a hammer. I may have even tapped directly on the seal. It is not too hard to get to go in.
9, Re-install linkage and refill. all done.

Here is several PN's.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1999,ram+2500+pickup,5.9l+l6+diesel+turbocharged,1377569,transmission-automatic,shift+shaft+seal,8648
I appreciate it man. i got lucky and oreillys had one went home and installed it in no time. needless to say no more leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts