Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all my leafsprings are about shot, my truck has 273k miles and think its time to get some new suspension. it has the 4in blocks and id like to keep at the same hieght so ive looked at the 4in rough country lift kit but it says that it is not for the model with the cummins motor.

My question is where should i get some new suspension parts that are reliable and good quality. i do pull a skid steer that weighs 9,000lb and the trailer weighs 4,000. so would prefer some heavy duty springs if possible.
Please someone send me in the right direction on where i can find what i need.
Thank you all!

·
Registered
588 Posts
You will have to read up on them, they state they meet oe load specs...but anything lifted (plus big tires) is going to tow different...

I've got a different truck (newer Silverado 2500hd) to do towing, therefore it wasn't as big a concern to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
understood. im not trying to lift too high just like the look of my truck right now and im pretty sure its a 4in block and would like to keep it at that height.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i have read that. i found a company called Alcan and carrier spring service that seem to be built well but also expensive. i just dont want to waste the money and a couple of years from now be sagging again like they are now.

·
Registered
18,893 Posts
the 4+ rear blocks are stock. Springs are not rated for towing, just for load. Talk to a local 4x4 or spring shop.

·
Registered
387 Posts
yeah i have read that. i found a company called Alcan and carrier spring service that seem to be built well but also expensive. i just dont want to waste the money and a couple of years from now be sagging again like they are now.
Mine are about 6 years old an no sag yet. Well worth the $ IMO.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey all my leafsprings are about shot, my truck has 273k miles and think its time to get some new suspension. it has the 4in blocks and id like to keep at the same hieght so ive looked at the 4in rough country lift kit but it says that it is not for the model with the cummins motor.
There are no cummins-specific leaf springs for the rear. Heavier trucks have 3/4" eye bolts. Lighter trucks have 5/8". I have cummins trucks with either size eye bolts. I have gas trucks with the 3/4" eye bolts.

Check your spring hangers for being rusted through. If you need to change these, it really adds to the labour. At which point you can consider mounting them lower, or further apart, and even run longer springs (better ride). Jungle over at RCC has a stout shackle-flip setup that can eliminate the block. Chevy leafs (56" or 63") have more arch to them than Dodge. (stock vs stock.)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Stay away from Alcan springs. they always make them long and the end up hitting the frame on the shackle side. Other than that the quality of their products are great but the high price and poor fit isnt worth the price imo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you plan on towing a goose then make sure your goose reciever can even adjust to a 4in lift or you will be riding with an axle off the ground and possibly bend the reciever. I had a trailer loaded way down saw my trailer was leaning a bit upon further inspection some welds had cracked along the reciever.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah u2slow i have been talking to jungle trying to figure out exactly how i need to do things or what route i should go. Honestly i am not a very good free lancing at cutting off things and trying to put new parts in different places to make them fit. Usually more of a take off and replace kind of person. or as long as i have instructions i can just about do something.

So that being said i will research the chevy leafs and exactly what diameter my eye bolts are in the front and back. Thank you for you thoughts and advice, very much needed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i wonder if the carrier spring service/ customspring.com hit on the frame like the alcans do. ill have to call them and see, also i thought on buying jungles mounts and they are suppose to be lower on the frame and prevent the springs from hitting the frame. thank you i will look into everything before i pull the trigger.
It will probably be November before i buy everything to redo the suspension on the truck.

cumstromax- what do you mean my goose receiver? i do plan on hauling a goose neck. do you mean where the ball mounts? i just have a 1" plate welded to the frame on both sides that is threaded in the center where i can put a ball to hook to the goose receiver. its worked before where it is so i hope it would work with the new suspension.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Stay away from Alcan springs. they always make them long and the end up hitting the frame on the shackle side. Other than that the quality of their products are great but the high price and poor fit isnt worth the price imo.

Mine did as well, I made up shackles that are 1.5 in longer, problem solved in about an hour and a half on a drill press with some 3/8 flat stock

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thought about going with jungles front shackles that are longer. but that would only solve the front i am assuming.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Longer doesn't make a spring bad. Longer shackles are needed when a curved leaf 'grows' as it flattens on compression.

yeah u2slow i have been talking to jungle trying to figure out exactly how i need to do things or what route i should go. Honestly i am not a very good free lancing at cutting off things and trying to put new parts in different places to make them fit. Usually more of a take off and replace kind of person. or as long as i have instructions i can just about do something.
I debated buying Jungle's stuff for some time. My choice in springs (3" wide) was the turning point. I decided to 'roll-my-own' and installed 4 'new' hangers off a newer truck. First time for everything...
https://ramchargercentral.com/axle-tech-discussion/dana-80-swap-westcoast-style/

yeah i wonder if the carrier spring service/ customspring.com hit on the frame like the alcans do.
Mine did as well, I made up shackles that are 1.5 in longer, problem solved in about an hour and a half on a drill press with some 3/8 flat stock
I have a version of Carrier's leafs they don't make anymore (front; 2" lift, 2-leaf tapered springs). They were definitely not too long - possibly a little short. They supplied them with longer shackles. I made even longer ones with multiple holes, for 5, 6, and 7" lengths. Use flat bar on the inside, and angle for the outside. Pics...
https://ramchargercentral.com/technical-discussion/parabolic-leafs-update/

The current version of their springs is 3-leaf and not tapered. Mixed reviews on these... sounds like they ride better, but sag over time.

I don't even know what I'd buy today for front leafs.... probably have to be custom. Stuff with a stock-thickness main leaf is out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So where did you get your hangers i looked at your pictures of the red hangers in the front of front and the black im assuming are rear of front. Man i am being so many ways and by no means am i able to fabricate things. Now saying that i really dont know which way to go, i talked to custom springs today and they recommended 2in lift springs in the front and 6in lift in the back so i could get rid of my 4in factory block.

I just wish there was a straight forward answer for my dumb self that said hey this are the hangers and leafsprings you need for what you want. if anything i guess i can get these springs from custom suspension and use the stock hangers unless someone recommends with directions on where to buy better hangers and a link on how to install them.

im basically wanting to replace the flat front & rear leafs and eliminate my front tires from scrubbing when turning cause right now they are. something around what you have, a 4in lift.

custom suspension said that those leafs were heavy duty also, because i told them i would be hauling about 15,000lb between trailer and skid steer. and hay in the winter.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts