Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I see on here all the guys are doing boosted launches. 15, 20, 25 psi. If I go anything over 5 psi, I get massive wheelhop. What do I need to do to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
252 Posts
trac bars, or a four link, in the rear. the front, is generally ok.

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at people's sigs, very few are running them. That was my next step anyways, I was just wondering how the guys were doing this without some sort of traction/ladder bars.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looking at people's sigs, very few are running them. That was my next step anyways, I was just wondering how the guys were doing this without some sort of traction/ladder bars.
Tire selection is also a big part of it. The more grip you have(softer compound, tread design, etc) the more likely you will have some kind of wheel hop. The trac bars are not being run by everyone, but then not everyone will see wheelhop. With my tires, I usually spin a bit and then catch, but I've gotten some hop on the street as well. On a track, it's really a different animal, since traction is usually not something that you lack.

The wheel hop is most often caused by axle wrap, so a traction bar setup should fix it. If you're still getting wheel hop, the first thing you need to do is try and figure out what is causing it. Without knowing that, it's really a crap shoot on what to do.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
So I see on here all the guys are doing boosted launches. 15, 20, 25 psi. If I go anything over 5 psi, I get massive wheelhop. What do I need to do to prevent this from happening?
are you doing boosted launches in 2wd or 4wd:confused013:

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4wd......the front hooks and the rear shoots off the ground.

·
Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,748 Posts
I tend to launch between 20-28psi, because Im running an A5k. I can say that before I put a set of GDP bars on my truck, it would hop pretty bad and I had plenty of exhaust systems coming apart. Then with the bars and airing down the Terra Grapplers I had, to 20 or so psi, it hooked a hell of a lot better. I did use a set of Cal Tracs a few times and still wasnt comfortable coming out of the hole....

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing to add to the ever growing shopping list. Everyone make sure you're paying your taxes, I'm gonna need every cent!:rof

·
Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,748 Posts
One more thing to add to the ever growing shopping list. Everyone make sure you're paying your taxes, I'm gonna need every cent!:rof
They are pricey, but worth every penny if you like to kick ricers/vette/viper/other sports cars a$$es at the track!

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably more important here, we run the 1/8th. Seems everyone gets me out of the hole and I have to try and track em down. My 60ft times suck....2.1's.

·
Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,748 Posts
Probably more important here, we run the 1/8th. Seems everyone gets me out of the hole and I have to try and track em down. My 60ft times suck....2.1's.
Well, then tell me this:

- What size tires are you running?
- Trans wise, stock input or aftermarket?
- Do you worry about your reaction time?

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tires are just a shade under 33's. Cooper H/T's.
Trans is all billet.
RT is on par with what everyone else was running.

·
Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,748 Posts
Tires are just a shade under 33's. Cooper H/T's.
Trans is all billet.
RT is on par with what everyone else was running.
Try airing your tires down a little, launch a little higher than 5-10psi (try going up in small incriments), dont worry about your R/T. The timer starts after you pass through the second set of beams, not the first.

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try when I get back. Heading out on another government sponsored vacation to go play around in some mountains. It should be waaaaaaaaaaaaay better when I get back. There will be a large pile o parts waiting for me.

·
Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,748 Posts
I'll try when I get back. Heading out on another government sponsored vacation to go play around in some mountains. It should be waaaaaaaaaaaaay better when I get back. There will be a large pile o parts waiting for me.
Sweet! Well let me know how it does bro and PM me if theres any other advice I can throw your way! :thumbsup:

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do ya think I can do with truck #2 in my sig?:rof

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
I tend to launch between 20-28psi, because Im running an A5k. I can say that before I put a set of GDP bars on my truck, it would hop pretty bad and I had plenty of exhaust systems coming apart. Then with the bars and airing down the Terra Grapplers I had, to 20 or so psi, it hooked a hell of a lot better. I did use a set of Cal Tracs a few times and still wasnt comfortable coming out of the hole....
20 to 28?! mother of jesus. Is your converter pretty loose?

·
Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,748 Posts
What do ya think I can do with truck #2 in my sig?:rof
Doesnt matter, just blow up everything faster than you! :rof:hehe::rof

20 to 28?! mother of jesus. Is your converter pretty loose?
Its not too bad, but the tranny needs a refresh soon. Time to call Frank for the yearly rebuild! :hehe:

·
Soot Sniffer
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW...how do you like that A5K? I'm going to compound mine and am torn between the 5 and 6.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
as the others said, some ladder bars is next on the list........... big improvement from what I have seen/heard

1 - 20 of 27 Posts