Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the head and gasket today. Gasket was coming apart in 4 different places. Going to replace with oem gasket after the head is machined on Monday. Also going to upgrade to 625s. Any last minute tips on installation or anything regarding head gasket? Also do I need to use gasket sealer on it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
847 Posts
No sealer. Clean the surface of the block as best as possible. I used a round wire brush that you put in a drill from lowes of Home Depot. It was a fine bristle brush, your just lookin to clean it up not grind it down.. Use a cherry picker to put it back on so you don't damage the gasket. Studs are a pain follow instructions found on glacier diesel website, they are the most detailed. Also have the machine shop do a valve job and I'm sure they will replace the valve seals.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Usually for just a hg job, no a valve job isn't done. But since your getting your head decked (which I believe everyone who has hg problems should do) it's kinda a no brainier while your in there. What's involved with a simple valve job in a nutshell is that they grind the face of the valves and make any repairs needed to the seats (area where the valve sits when closed) to make a perfect seal.

·
Registered
847 Posts
When I did mine I got it decked , shop told me it was .003 outta spec.. So in other words warped. Funny thing is I've never had hg symptoms but sure enough it was bad. I did the hg because I wanted to have peace of mind that everything was right.. Plus I had everything off bc I added all my mods at once. I had them do a valve job and he said most were ok but there were a few where the seats were pounded out. So he fixed them and touched up the rest, cleaned all the carbon off the valves so its basically brand new.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Magnaflux is when they magnetize the head and then coat it with a fluorescent dye with tiny metal particles in it that will fill in the tiny cracks so they can find tem. Pressure testing is checking the valves for leaks

·
Registered
847 Posts
Also they will use pressure testing for cracks. Usually pressure test it first and if leaks are present they will magnaflux

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes I'd rec it, 95 percent of the time though it seems the machine shops always say they find a crack! Some just wanna sell you product so that's where finding a good shop comes in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.