Cummins Diesel Forum banner

largest size spare tire

10K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Readyman 
#1 ·
What's the largest size spare tire you've fit under your 5th gen?

I'd like to run 35's. We do a lot of backcountry exploring and need to carry a full size spare...

#2 ·
I checked and a brand new 34" (cooper St Maxx 295/70/18) fits snug. I think a 35" would fit if it was VERY used, a true emergency spare ;-). I will check next week and take a photo for you. I am putting on some 285/75/18 (35") Duratrac. I am pretty sure they will NOT fit new. I will see if there is enough room to bend the metal exhaust shield and not rub on the exhaust or anything else.

#8 ·
There tires are not as tall as the spec says they are when mounted on 20 x 8 wheels. I think they measured about 34 1/4. I like the tires so far. They make more noise than the factory tires but not as much as a mud tire. They will bother some people but I am OK with them. Traction on Paved roads, wet and dry is good. They also do well on dirt roads. I have not had them on snow yet, maybe a few more weeks for that.

#10 ·
I fit a 295/70 r18, 34.2" in the well, open country at2 on a CCSB 2500 hemi. It's not at full inflation though, but pretty close. It's also up against the heat shield, the hitch and drivers side frame, pretty snug. I couldn't just crank it up either, I had to get underneath the truck and bench press it in with a few knee kicks while my wife used the crank. I had to watch for wires and made sure they were out of the way. I really cant see anything bigger fitting in there without removing the heat shield and getting close to the exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.