Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Larger diff cover??

3K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  srjackson21 
#1 ·
Long hauls on freeway pulling a 8000lb travel trailer thinking of larger diff. cover any thoughts?😎

#3 ·
#4 ·
agreed, there's a lot of discussion on it, but no real science provided. some believe that as diff spins, it throws lubricant up against the inside of the diff cover which is designed to channel it back to the top of the diff so that it's always being lubricated throughout the entire revolution. The larger capacity pans move the wall back fluid does not reach the top of the diff above the gear again. But there's more fluid. Upgrading the fin-ned aluminum cover has been a popular option that's stock on the newer trucks. So stock design but with increased cooling.

#5 ·
Ruff Stuff, Ballistic and Artec have never had a customer pinion failure.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey
#6 ·
Looks better, and has a drain. If you’re gonna change the fluid on the stock one and remove the cover anyway, just go ahead and do one. Running a mag hytec and it works great

#9 ·
Best testing and documentation that I have seen was from Banks.

Reactions: tryNto
#12 ·
That wasn’t skewed in any way.

I’d like to something comparable to UL do testing in the different diff covers.
Be interested in hearing your thoughts. Feel free to message me or send information where other manufacturers have been as thorough...

I hadn’t ever seen where someone went through the effort of making clear covers to evaluate what the factory and aftermarket were doing...

#15 ·
He's good at marketing, and he is not stupid. But he isn't really a marketing genius. Anyone with any kind of sales history can see right through his gimmicks. While his products generally do work, they are generally not the best, most original, or most economical, even if they are marketed as the best, most original, and most economical based off gains per dollar. Banks isn't what it used to be. These days they play it safe, wait for someone else to do something, then tweak it enough to call it their own, and charge twice as much. I personally am not impressed by their current businuess strategy as it is not who they used to be

#16 ·
So s guy that sells products for our trucks is in no way skewing the slant to buy HIS product.

What I’m saying, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, is have a company like Underwriters Laboratory whom has no skin in the game, test each cover and see which one comes out on top.

Hopefully you understand and your subtle keyboard cowboy analogies can be kept to yourself.

#17 ·
So s guy that sells products for our trucks is in no way skewing the slant to buy HIS product.

What I’m saying, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, is have a company like Underwriters Laboratory whom has no skin in the game, test each cover and see which one comes out on top.

Hopefully you understand and your subtle keyboard cowboy analogies can be kept to yourself.
Almost as if third party testing is the best way to prove a products claims.....

#19 ·
Several college studies have used clear covers...that being said, thanks to Isaac Newton fluid will travel straight up when it flings off the ring gear. The channel in the front of the housing collects fluid for the pinion. The cover if close fitting will shear fluid off the ring gear and send it back to the sump otherwise the cover shape has little effect. Banks is a fraud and business is down other than his government contract for the hummer replacement engine. Here is a picture of your ring gear at speed with no cover or housing....

#21 ·
I hope things get better for you.

#23 ·
Be interested in hearing your thoughts. Feel free to message me or send information where other manufacturers have been as thorough...

You wrote it and by reading it, I see the smug attitude and let you know that I’m not going take crap from a keyboard cowboy. So if it’s different, accept my apology and we can move on.

#24 ·

You wrote it and by reading it, I see the smug attitude and let you know that I’m not going take crap from a keyboard cowboy. So if it’s different, accept my apology and we can move on.
Sorry if you received it as smug... wasn’t calling you out - just trying to keep from derailing the discussion. Didn’t work so well.

I am not a Banks cheerleader. My post was simply that I hadn’t seen anyone else back up their claims with as much testing or documentation.

#25 ·
Picture of real testing not for cover bling but for external cooling to save 10hp loss in racing applications. At highway speeds you can see oil is everywhere. It’s called churning. The lighter color is aeration the darker color is running down the cover. Pinion temperature is about 170F under load at maximum torque. The lubricant level is reduced about 25%. Synthetics are good for 250F. You are not starving your pinion no matter what cover you choose. I chose a Ballistic cover for smacking rocks. The extra capacity keeps the oil level higher.

Reactions: White2005
#29 ·
Interesting thought on that. One giant marketing tool when a company tests their own product, is how they can alter things for the results they want in ways you won't notice.

In reading their technical data on that page, I noticed they were very clear to list all the specifics on what they used in testing except what diff oil. They say they changed it out every test, they say they prefer amsoil, but they never say what was used in testing.

What kept them from doing a heavy weight gear oil on everything but their own cover? They also don't say with the dynp runs if they used a fan or not unless I missed it. So same thing, what keeps them from running a fan on theirs but not on the others?

Maybe I'm just paranoid because I've seen these games used for a decade on vehicles for things like cold air intakes. Run stock on the Dyno with the hood down and no fan. Then run your open intake with hood up and a fan running. Then show amazing power increase that isn't accurate.

#32 ·
Wow for only $400 I can lower my differential temperature by 12.5 degrees and it will pay for itself in 100k miles. The bling factor is priceless....sign me up!

#33 ·
Still have the factory cover on mine.
Some of the numbers weren’t as impressive as one would expect.

But a Mag-Hytec Dodge – Mag Hytec looks like it is only 100 clams less...

This appears to be a more significant difference though:

And aside from the flat back fluid dynamics, Bank’s position regarding the fuel economy was interesting.

But, I agree that there is no way to ever know whether claims from any manufacture are legit - which is why there are so few modified trucks out there.

#34 ·
The Banks cover is $100.00 more than a Mag Hytec, but you can factor the cost of two fewer quarts of gear lube initially and every time you service your differential against that $100.00 difference. Also, if there wasn't a substantial difference in the Banks design, from what it already out in the world, I wouldn't think that he would not have been issued a design patent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.