Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of any solutions to my slow turbo spool up, i Know the silver 66 is a big turbo but it takes several seconds to spool up my turbo when i stop and smash the gas and my truck will not build up boost while power braking any ides please help

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already got it sry not in the sig

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Yes I know a solution, attach a smaller turbo to it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you are running a larger turbine housing, it takes more air to drive it up to the point it will create boost. To larger turbo works, in my opinion, only if you are running a lot of high RPM, and Heavy loading, If you want something that will accelerate quickly you need a smaller turbine housing. If you are doing your own work maybe try stock turbo for a while.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol kinda what i was thinkin but any cheaper ideas? like a quick spool cam or somethin like that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
witht he stock turbo will it increase egt's much?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nitros?

Dude can I buy some drugs from you???? WTH do you do for work to beat on your 24" rims like that? Plus doing burnouts with theose tires?????

Wow I haven't seen any pics that bad in a while....in truck though....wow!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol well idk about nitros bc of the temps but what do you mean about the bad pics? and im just fortunate i guess every mod done to my truck was done by me and im only nineteen just mechanically inclined and it pays off i guess.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, no offense, it's easy to buy parts, it's easy to read instructions on how to install, all it takes is time and logic.
But I do give you big ups for doing it yourself, I wish I had the time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the system was mainly what i was refurring to b/c i work for a local stereo shop as an installer but yess your right most of them did come with instructions but what didnt this website helped the rest anybody else with some help on my problem

·
Registered
118 Posts
But what does each tire cost? I am a CAT mecahnic and between Cummins and Remington builds I have no extra money to buy another $1600 set of 35/12.5-17's....I guess you just buy 2 at a time???? :headbang:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol naw havnt had to buy them yet and i dont burn them down my truck wont lol but im tryin to figure out my problem but only at the track occasionally

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no its called fortunate, hard working and the fact that my step dad was killed and left me some money thanks for your two sense but it doesnt answer my question.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyways...... Any More ideas guys

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dam, why yall messing with him so much for...Im 19 and have worked for everything I have got and maybe he has too, just bc you didn't have something like this at your age don't get mad at him. back to topic...A small shot of nitrous will help spool it alot faster but if you don't want to go that route get a performance cam because alot of guys I know said that it helps out alot:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i appreciate the first paragraph but anyways i am getting enough fuel i think rolling into it is alot better and it pulls real hard on the top end just wondering how these guys with these big turbos as a single is spolling sitting still? mine just blows way to much smoke but on the top end boost is there and pulls well

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nitros.....possibly 20-30 hp shot????

If not Nitros maybe some Ether...sort of a COLD START kit...not a lot just a touch to get your RPM up NOW. Not sure how much you would be using it because it can be bad snd stick your rings with heavy use. But on an old dozer that ran out of fuel I have had to make them run on ether for 20-30 seconds untill they got fuel backup to the engine.....this was done at customers request though and he knew the potential damage........ I have heard of ricers that can't make the torque to launch quickly using staged NOS......where it cuts out after they achieve 15-20 psi boost. But they are running the size of our stocker on both sides of a 3.0L.

Not bashing the guy just impressed and ribbing him a bit, wouldn't matter if he was 19 or 49 I would still be in awe to see those 24" rims,that probably cost near my wifes 2007 G6 Convertible cost, buried in mud and yeah there is my two sense as well!!! :hehe:

I am 25 and bought my first house, bought my truck, and bought my wife's car, and a 28ft travel trailer.....all in 2008.......so there is some envy for the a-hole that thinks all of us young guys will be in repo-depo before the end of this year.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well That is a big truck to get rolling, 37's sometimes eat up your quick get up and go. Man a big 66 for daily driving is laggy and smokey, they should have informed you of that before you purchased it, A nice set of twins would be good. Maybe you could use a 63/13ss would work great

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
No doubt the 37s are sapping some of that, but I would think it would spool a little better. Sounds just like mine. If I take it fairly easy, it seems to spool fairly decent. And once it lights, it gets it REAL good. But if I hammer down...nothin but smoke. I was actually surprised, wasnt expecting it to be this laggy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts