Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 dodge mega cab and I want to put a set of traction bars on it.
Just wondering if anyone has tried them?
Is there any one better then the other?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
is your truck lifted ? what are you planning on doing ? and do you want them visible ? i ask because CALTRACS makes a very nice looking and very functinal set of traction aids, but they arent easily noticed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a coil Spacer in the front, but I'm planning on going with a 6" lift next year.
I'm going to be tow a big tow hauler and want to make sure I'm putting the power to the ground. Doesn't really matter if there visable or not just as long as there functional.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
you do understand they will put more LOAD FORCE on tranny internals ? i would look into a set of longer bars since you are going to lift it. if you dont want to notice them, spray them black. i would think that the weight of the trailer would suffice for any traction aid.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
you may want to consider a full leaf replacement, it will give you the lift and the decreased axle wrap.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Watch this video and you will see how much axle wrap can go in with a small lift.

One Up Offroad does some great traction bars that are also lift blocks that you can order in what ever size you want.

Lazarsmith is another one that I have heard nothing but good things about. Traction Bars

Personally, I just built my own set. Was alot cheaper and I got to set them up exactly how I wanted them. They make a huge difference when towing my horse trailer and smoother out my dual disk clutch alot.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
got any pics of the ones you built?????? I am thinking of a set also. Seeing how your truck is a 10, I am curious of how you did yours and mounted them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
got any pics of the ones you built?????? I am thinking of a set also. Seeing how your truck is a 10, I am curious of how you did yours and mounted them.
I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I will try to get some in the next day or two for you. I cut some brackets that weld to the frame rails and that weld to the axle housing. Then I used heim joints on the front side of the bars and used polyurethane bushings on the rear side to add some dampening. The bars are about 4.5' long made from 1.5" 1/4" wall DOM tubing. I set them up to run at the same angle as the drive line.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sounds about the same way I am wanting to build mine. Pics would be great!!! Thanks

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
any time you add distance from axel to spring with a block it is like usung a pipe on a wrench, a replacement spring will not act like that.

·
CF Administrator
12,436 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
any time you add distance from axel to spring with a block it is like usung a pipe on a wrench, a replacement spring will not act like that.
Sorry to tell you, but there is still axle wrap with stock or aftermarket springs once you start adding power. On mt stock height truck with the chip turned off, I can still tell a big difference from the traction bars.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I will try to get some in the next day or two for you. I cut some brackets that weld to the frame rails and that weld to the axle housing. Then I used heim joints on the front side of the bars and used polyurethane bushings on the rear side to add some dampening. The bars are about 4.5' long made from 1.5" 1/4" wall DOM tubing. I set them up to run at the same angle as the drive line.
Sounds like the same way i built some for my 02'. I used heims at both ends from Rubicon Express and 3/8" wall d.o.m. tubing. very strong and worked well when the axle articulated when i was hunting

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry, but I guess no pictures. This web site is the biggest pain in the butt to upload pictures to.:doh:

·
Registered
72 Posts
This topic:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-non-powertrain/192510-traction-bars.html

at posts #10 and #11 show the Calvert installed on my stocker.

PROS:
-They function really well.
-Somewhat hidden
-Cool operating principle
-Calvert is flexible as to how long they will make your set based on your measurements, e.g. the bar length is custom sized for your fit.
CON:
My only complaint is that they sound like a bucket of bolts when crossing RR tracks, for example,or any time you unload the spring.

Due to the fact that my rig is mainly hiway, I'll likely remove mine at some point and have a suspension shop re-install the front eye grommet, seein's how the Calvert conversion calls for an aluminum billit grommet.

tj

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Denver, that looks GOOD! Nice set up...What are you running? I see the pure performance lift, but your tractions...WOW

·
Registered
535 Posts
Denver, that looks GOOD! Nice set up...What are you running? I see the pure performance lift, but your tractions...WOW

It was a Pure performance short arm kit..didn't like the ride.. and was tired of wheel hop. SO ended up building my own long arm front and ladder bars all in one. Very pleased with it. Suspension isn't as soft as i'd like but its a truck, not a caddy. As far as ladder bars..not sure what i'd do without them. they hold solid and have yet to see wheel hop. Cheap and easy to build..

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Beautiful setup. You going to release the specs on them with PICS? Might even be added to the sticky list. I know there are literally dozens of threads on the subject, but every bit of input helps the next guy.

Also what size lift you running. You said you built your own ladders and all for the front? What is your setup there? I am running a 3500 mega with 6" lift and its primarily a road queen (wife also rides a lot) so the ride is important...just curious as to your findings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts