Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're wondering if a turbo off of an L10 cummins would work well on my brother's 01 dodge. Does anyone have some ideas on this?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I like the idea.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He already has the turbo and just needs to make it fit. How much hp do you think it will support, and what size injectors will be the best with it and a quad adrenaline? Also, I don't think it has a wastegate on it so what needs done about that?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I know is that it is a Holset, I don't know the size or model number or whatever.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Subscribed!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know how to tell what it is. there are some numbers on it in a couple of places, but it doesn't say "hx50" or "h2e" or anything. One set of numbers looks like 8525188, and the other looks like 3291. From the research I've done, it seems like thos are the main sizes of holsets used on l10's. I still am not sure what size injectors should be paired with this turbo to make a usable setup.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His truck is an 01 2500 qcsb 4x4 auto.
he's got stock tires
a hot rod vp
stock injectors for now
billet triple disc torque converter
valve body
Dr. Performance box now but getting an adrenaline w/pulse
stock lift pump now, but soon to have fass

This is a daily driver that will do a little towing and possibly go to the track or a dyno occasionaly. He is looking for 500+ hp. He got ahold of this turbo for free, and since he was already planning on some fueling upgrades, thought this was a chance to get a bigger turbo on there while staying in his budget.

Again, any help in getting this planned out right would be great!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Just a quick check and it sounds like an H2e and the smallest housing is looking like a 17cm and that will absolutely suck on an auto.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think it would work in a twin setup with the stocker?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just a quick check and it sounds like an H2e and the smallest housing is looking like a 17cm and that will absolutely suck on an auto.
Bummer. :thud:

·
Registered
17 Posts
L10's all used either an H2D, H2E or an Hx50 (the Hx uses a v-band to hold the compressor housing on, the H2D is bolted on), both of which can use wastegated housings and use the same turbine shafts. 17cm is the smallest common turbine housing which will still be way too big for something you want to be able to drive daily. The turbine wheel in these can be either 73 or 77 millimeter, compressor wheels will range from around 60 to 73 millimeter without doing custom wheels. I have an Hx50 77mm exhaust and 66mm intake that I am finishing up machining a custom turbine housing for. I found a T-3 Borg Warner turbine housing for an S3 turbo that in Holset sizing would be around a 12cm housing. My plan is to try this on my 02 Dodge.

Reactions: J-man

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So gforce02, what do you think about using the l10 turbo and the stocker in a twin setup?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Turbine housing solution

I am just finishing machining a John Deere 3LM Schwitzer turbine housing to fit a 77mm Hx50, it's a T3 foot and in terms of Holset sizing would be about a 12cm - going to try this on my 02 2wd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as using the L10 turbo as the top turbo for twins depends on the size of the L10 turbo - typically for a daily driver you would want to upsize both ends of your small turbo 4-6 millimeters and then go with a top turbo depending on your hp target. It can be difficult to flow much more air through a small stock turbo even with twins. L10's are not a real high horsepower engine for 660ish cubic inches so consequently some of the L10 turbos did not flow a great deal of air.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, thanks. niether of us know much about turbos, but he is going to need a trubo upgrade at some point anyway, and he got this turbo for free, so we were hoping to use it and save some money for other parts.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,153 Posts
If he plans on towing don't go with that big a turbo especially with an auto. It's more than likely got a T4 flange and he'll need the adaptor or a new manifold. He'll need at least 175's and run the adrenaline on the higher settings. Better go ahead and upgrade to at least a billet input and a steel 5 gear planetary. The aluminum 3 gear just don't help much lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts